OPERATION CAGE THE BEAR (F/A-18C HORNET CAMPAIGN)

kaba

attachment.php?attachmentid=230465&d=1584982864

OPERATION : CAGE THE BEAR is a fictional campaign providing the experience of an elite F/A-18C pilot tasked to repel a lethal aggressor force.

It is December 1992. The Berlin wall has fallen, the Soviet Union has broken down. In an attempt to regain control of the crucial Black Sea region, REDFOR invaders have crossed Georgian borders in an attempt to annex the ex-Soviet state.

Determined to prevent a return to the old days of Soviet power, NATO takes exceptional action. A US Carrier Strike Group transits the Bosphorus Straits and enters the Black Sea.

As the conflict escalates, strike fighters of the Carrier Air Wing will lead the fight against REDFOR.

Defend the fleet and push back the aggressors!

KEY FEATURES

• 10 varied missions putting you in the cockpit of the F/A-18C
  • Approximately 8 hours of gameplay
  • Hundreds of hand-crafted triggers and voiceovers
  • Custom-made briefing and intel documents for each mission

DOWNLOAD THE CAMPAIGN HERE

Oh, nice!

Enjoyed the campaign with the Tomcat already, now being able to do this without whiney Jester will be a lot of fun! :thumbup:

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

What is the difference between:

"FA-18C-Caucasus-CTB 4-RECON DUTIES ss" & "FA-18C-Caucasus-CTB 4-RECON DUTIES" missions?

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

What is the difference between:

"FA-18C-Caucasus-CTB 4-RECON DUTIES ss" & "FA-18C-Caucasus-CTB 4-RECON DUTIES" missions?

Ah - actually the 'ss' file is one i threw together for taking screenshots for the title image. I've removed this from the download now, good spot.

• 5 weeks later...

Love the campaign, except my wingman drives me nuts! He just flies around not doing anything. He ignores my commands to attack targets, cover me, etc. So I run out of ammo, and he has all his missiles intact AND fuel tanks still attached. Arrr!!!!

Who wants to fly this campaign together (I can set up a server)?

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

And how come in OB this is a day mission, while in Stable I launch in the dark? My OB is in English, while Stable in Russian language, if it matters...

Screen_200425_184740.thumb.png.15d003c2db3d1a047e7e5cbeeebf3c0e.png

Edited by impalor

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

I updated my mission files, now I can't take off (at least not in Alfa Strike Mozdok).

impalor - thanks for flagging this.

Frustrating bug. I've checked all missions and this had occurred in two of them.

I've now fixed this and uploaded a new version of the campaign:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3308483/

You asked why the time of day appears to differ between stable and openbeta - 2.5.6 openbeta changed the lighting engine, including sunrise/sunset times. The missions have been tailored for the 2.5.6, but stable should also work fine - I would expect by the time you reach the AO the sun has risen?

Yes, I started this campaign in Stable, and most of the time was taking off in the dark. But the sun was up soonish. Ok, good to know, and thanks for the campaign!

In mission 3 the game freezes at almost exact 30 minutes of gameplay in OB. It happened 4 times, twice when I was using a stopwatch, so I had to accelerate time and land before 30 minutes to be able to exit the mission successfully. Funny bug, thought it was a memory leak at first, but other missions play just fine.

Second the opinion on wingman, probably a game deficiency, but in mission 4 he kills a bandit with a gun before launching amraams. He also starts to engage air defences when "cover me" command is used. Generally a liability more than an asset :P

Question, are the other units set to land on the ship at any point during a mission? I made a few weird observations:

MS 1: Tanker crew ejects after refuelling a tomcat, and then the tomcat crew also ejects. All other flights is stuck in a circular pattern above the ship, no one lands.

MS 3: Almost all friendly jets gets killed by REDFOR, or run out of fuel and crashes in the sea.

MS 4: Same as ms 3, but they get killed by SAMs as well. No one lands, those that survive fly in a pattern over the ship untill out of fuel.

The campaign is great, I got real immersed and drawn into the scenario :D

In mission 3 the game freezes at almost exact 30 minutes of gameplay in OB. It happened 4 times, twice when I was using a stopwatch, so I had to accelerate time and land before 30 minutes to be able to exit the mission successfully. Funny bug, thought it was a memory leak at first, but other missions play just fine.

Second the opinion on wingman, probably a game deficiency, but in mission 4 he kills a bandit with a gun before launching amraams. He also starts to engage air defences when "cover me" command is used. Generally a liability more than an asset :P

Question, are the other units set to land on the ship at any point during a mission? I made a few weird observations:

MS 1: Tanker crew ejects after refuelling a tomcat, and then the tomcat crew also ejects. All other flights is stuck in a circular pattern above the ship, no one lands.

MS 3: Almost all friendly jets gets killed by REDFOR, or run out of fuel and crashes in the sea.

MS 4: Same as ms 3, but they get killed by SAMs as well. No one lands, those that survive fly in a pattern over the ship untill out of fuel.

The campaign is great, I got real immersed and drawn into the scenario :D

Thanks for the comments Darkstar.

Yeah as you may expect, I'm very much at mercy of the DCS AI and hope that this can be improved centrally.

Bizarre that you have a crash linked to 'real-time' timing. There are no scripts in my missions - so no clue why this would be the case. Glad you pushed through it, this might be something that you could raise as a bug to ED?

This is awesome, thanks for adapting this campaign!

I'm only a few missions into the Hornet version, but it's alarming how much better my SA is in this version of the campaign. Maybe some of it is because I've played it before, but man I need to work on my awareness in the Tomcat.

• 2 weeks later...
Operatin Cargo definitely keeps crashing for me. Always during the final descent back to homeplate, after having achieved the goals and escaped. Is it just me?

No one else having constant crash at the end of Cargo mission, close to the ship?

No one else having constant crash at the end of Cargo mission, close to the ship?

Is this still recurring for you?

Are you on stable or openbeta (and which versions)?

Do you have any mods? any edits made to the mission?

Yeah, tried before yesterday (still before SC was out), CTD pretty close to the ship homebound, again and again. Edit no (never ever opened ME). Mods some, but I think irrelevant to F-18, but you never know:

OvGME activated:

A-10C clicks fixed

Bankler Case I recovery 5.2

Gun dispersion tweak

JTAC coordinates DMS 2.5.6

Tacca's NVG mod

I can try without them, if you wish, but I don't think any of them interfering. Opinion? I didn't have the patience to wait until any crash log generated, I just Ctrl Alt Del'd out to Task Manager and killed DCS.

Oh, btw I use to put up TGP in centerline discarding center tank. Can this be maybe causing something?

Edited by Razor18

Yeah, tried before yesterday (still before SC was out), CTD pretty close to the ship homebound, again and again. Edit no (never ever opened ME). Mods some, but I think irrelevant to F-18, but you never know:

OvGME activated:

A-10C clicks fixed

Bankler Case I recovery 5.2

Gun dispersion tweak

JTAC coordinates DMS 2.5.6

Tacca's NVG mod

I can try without them, if you wish, but I don't think any of them interfering. Opinion? I didn't have the patience to wait until any crash log generated, I just Ctrl Alt Del'd out to Task Manager and killed DCS.

Oh, btw I use to put up TGP in centerline discarding center tank. Can this be maybe causing something?

Always a chance that the mods cause something wrong here. Although there are no lua scripts or anything funky in my missions that should interfere. Would be helpful if you wouldn't mind trying a playthrough without these mods and let me know if that solves it.

Do you have any tacviews of this issue? It would be helpful for me to try and look at these.

If no tacviews - can you give me as much detail on exactly where you are when this happens? Is it a certain distance from the carrier, or specific time, or location etc?

I can't imagine the TGP would cause any issue - again nothing in the mission that should even recognise that you have changed the loadouts.