Short story from the realms of DCS L-39 debrief

WildBillKelsoe

So I decided to try a long haul from Beslan to Krymsk, using 50% fuel and climbing to contrail level 26K feet, in hopes of using altitude to test fuel burn rate, sort of getting the sweet 2 needle config for maximum range. My point of no return was 300 Km from Krymsk, so the divert field was set to Maykop Khanskaya. The reason I chose this long haul was to test the frequently reported hypoxia bug, and to test ADF/NDB navigation under blind flying hood. I had hoped that by following course 303° from Beslan, I'd be able to have Tikhoretsk NDB as my main navaid, and at some point along this direct route, Krymsk should be 190 Km away with the RSBN pointing at 235°, where I'd begin a hard left turn to put me on a descent on course 220°, the eastern end of Krymsk runway.

So after takeoff, I noticed that AIR CONDITION OFF advisory is up. To my dismay, I forgot to arm the cockpit pressurisation lever fully forward. Few moments later, I found that I needed to turn the blue oxygen valve CCW so the lungs indicator and flow operate, unbeknownst to me that it is CCW to turn it on. Minutes later my instructor pulls the famed hood and my eyes are now jumping between 3 instruments; the ADI, the compass, and the VVI. I turn on the ADF and try to tune it to 528 kHz to get Tikho on my 12. So I mash the outer dial only to find out its max is 17 (1700) or 1.7 MHz. Then I try 05 outer dial, 20 inner dial, and 8 innermost dial. To my surprise it works!

Just on my nose about 10 degrees, the needle points correct, but because of winds aloft, my nose was not following it, as I was climbing slowly to check if any tunnel visions occur, so I could react.

Leveling off at 20000 ft, I check again moving between forward and aft pits, just to see if anyone is Zzzzzing.... none. So far so good. I keep tracking the needle, checking compass disc rotation versus apparent bank, lest it be malfunctioning. My instructor hums that we're below assigned altitude by shouting "Up!". So I do just that, only to find myself losing track of all other instruments, fuel gauge included, and last but not least, the course.

As we reached altitude, my instructor yells "Heading!". I have been climbing for the past 30 minutes on a meagre 100 m/s VVI, while veering west till the card read 265°. I turn around again to follow the needle, and now I am pegged to the 3 instruments even more - trying to hold VVI, bank, and compass from rotating. Well into 45 minutes since gear up, I get an alarming "150 Kg fuel" advisory. I am just 340 Km away from Krymsk, and my gauge reads just over 100 Kg, so I chop throttle just to eliminate the shaking from excess trim and stick, and go over divert plaque on my right thigh board. Instructor informs me that my drill is will be terminated when we're close enough to the divert field. I immediately flick through RSBN data and my thumb and index are stirring the 2 knobs for nav and landing, changing them from 28/26 to... 34/36. I also tune 289 kHz, and 591 kHz for non precision approach, in case the guys at Maykop are not broadcasting.

So after 50 minutes I keep tracking the outer under heavy turbulence as I entered a pocket of differential and she was not happy about it, cross checking the Km scale for altitude, the Km RSBN ranging display, and the needles. Suddenly, around 17 Km out, my instructor radioes Maykop for emergency landing, and lifts off the hood, and assumes control. Of course I am left with my thumb up my arse after so many **** ups, so we do land with under 50 Kg of fuel, the instructor gives me the gloat and a suiting bitterment of a rating. I need to sharpen up... I really do.

I hope you guys are encouraged to write this stuff, as we learn from our mistakes, and at the same time enjoy some story telling, DCS style.

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i always try to learn from my mistakes and it is one of the best thing to make your self better and better

I agree

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

:D Man, that was a story+. Salute!

Thanks bro. Yeah I enjoy writing from my SH4 days.