I may have ruined my program files

Bones363

So here's my situation:

I downloaded DCS:World to my C:\ drive originally. About a month later, I purchased a 1TB SSD and moved my entire Eagle Dynamics folder to that new SSD, currently registered as the K:\ drive. I cannot create a desktop shortcut but it didnt bother me as I could still open DCS just by going into K:\ and using the "Run" icon. All servers were available and the game worked as advertised. Today, I downloaded the latest update using the DCS Updater and after about 4 hours of download time a log appeared basically (in my lacking understanding of code lingo) explaining the update had failed due to a path failure. The basics of the log are:

Can't run C:\Users\Sam\Downloads\bin/DCS.exe: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.

A couple people were attempting to coach me on how to use Command Prompt to "repair" the install but about 2 steps into the process nothing was lining up with what was being explained to me. To correct this, I assume I must eliminate and uninstall ALL of the DCS: World files and anything related to it. Does anyone have a step by step or maybe a simpler solution? I don't care if I have to re-install the entire sim, the only module I had was the F/A-18C. I want to do this right the first time (again) and avoid this issue reoccurring. Thanks.

~Bones

It might be possible to change the path in the registry, I remember having to do that many many years ago when FC3 first came out and the installer was looking in the wrong folder (that was back when FC3 required LOMAC to have been installed, so not exactly the same situation). However, I am not certain which registry files would have to be changed, and I know that making changes to the registry is something that should be d9ne carefully. However, it sounds as though this may be something that could solve your problem.

Welcome to the forum Bones363,

You will find the DCS.exe and DCS_update.exe in the bin folder of you new install. DCS_update.exe will always look for updates the other will not.

There is no reason to re-install DCS, I have spare copies on external drives or you can copy and paste the DCS folder many times anywhere on you pc and turn these into any version available.

I have not downloaded DCS in years across three different PC.

Here's 3 different ways you can update, modify and repair any DCS installs you have on your pc.

I would first do a cleanup and repair, then run the updater from the bin folder.

You might...? have to rename your user (DCS_Beta folder) C:\Users"yourname"\Saved Games\ DCS_Beta

and let dcs build a new one when you launch it. Then copy the old (config folder) back to the new folder, unless you like redoing all your joystick controls.

As you can see in SkateZilla's DCS Updater GUI, it can hold 6 different DCS builds and allows you to update and repair them all separately, launch DCS with or without VR and much more.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link