Real World F/A-18 Pilot Will Test DCS F/18 If Donations for Hurricane Victims Met - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:34 PM   #11
Bananimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Trev View Post
Just y'all keep in mind for whenever said video does come out that Mover isn't a gamer or a sim guy. He's a Doer Of IRL Things:

Fighter Pilot
Airline Pilot
Reserve Sheriff's Deputy
Author
Dog Owner
Driver of Fast Cars

[/EXPECTATIONMANAGEMENT]
This is true. That's why I contacted him after he posted his "offer" and informed him that it's not as simple as just installing the game. There's a certain level of skill required to get DCS configured and running properly before a newcomer can expect to do a video about it. I think he bit off a little more than he could chew at that point, although he probably was not aware of it. He was going to run it on a laptop, with no controls that I'm aware of. The laptop has a GTX 970M chip on it for the GPU and a meager 16GB of RAM. I don't think a proper comparo could be done under those circumstances. Since he lives near me, It just made sense for me to step in and help him avoid frustration by offering to do the comparo on my setup. I sent him photos of my setup and he's in with both elbows. LOL!

Last edited by Bananimal; 10-30-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:51 PM   #12
USMC_Trev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananimal View Post
This is true. That's why I contacted him after he posted his "offer" and informed him that it's not as simple as just installing the game. There's a certain level of skill required to get DCS configured and running properly before a newcomer can expect to do a video about it. I think he bit off a little more than he could chew at that point, although he probably was not aware of it. He was going to run it on a laptop, with no controls that I'm aware of. The laptop has a GTX 970M chip on it for the GPU and a meager 16GB of RAM. I don't think a proper comparo could be done under those circumstances. Since he lives near me, It just made sense for me to step in and help him avoid frustration by offering to do the comparo on my setup. I sent him photos of my setup and he's in with both elbows. LOL!
That's high quality work my dude! What's your rig speccing out at?

i7 4770K OC'ed to 4.3, GTX 1070 Seahawk (OC'ed), Oculus Rift CV1, 32Gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 10
Old 10-31-2018, 12:03 AM   #13
Bananimal

Running it on a 65" 4k screen, two GTX 980Tis in SLI, 64 GB ram, DCS is installed on an SSD and my CPU is over-clocked to 4.4 Ghz. I'm getting 55-89 FPS in the sim. With my refresh rate locked at 50 Hz, Good enough for fluid flight. I'm also using an Obutto Revolution chair with the TM Warthog HOTAS hard mounted F-16 style. Also using Track-IR. The only thing I could use is an RTX-2080 Ti, but nVidia is too freaking proud of them, IMO. Waiting for prices to drop, if ever.

Last edited by Bananimal; 11-06-2018 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:10 AM   #14
Gripes323

Quote:
Outstanding, Bananimal! That's exactly what I was thinking about his gaming aptitude

It could be fun... I've seen this done before on my old rig using the "other" sim. Too bad the guy that flew on my rig is not in the area anymore. With VR setup and center stick he would've felt at home!
Old 10-31-2018, 02:22 AM   #15
Bananimal

Yes, I'm torn on VR right now. Waiting for a graphics sub system that can properly handle at least 2k resolutions in VR that's not built in China. I kinda want to do a full F-18 cockpit at some point, but VR would be more practical. I'm not making any decisions until things shake out a bit more in the VR world.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 AM   #16
USMC_Trev

Quote:
Running it on a 65" 4k screen, two GTX 980Tis in SLI, 64 GB ram, DCS is installed on an SSD and my CPU is over-clocked to 4.4 Ghz. I'm getting 55-89 FPS in the sim. With my refresh rate locked at 50 Hz, Good enough for fluid flight. I'm also using an Obutto Revolution chair with the TM Warthog HOTAS hard mounted F-16 style. Also using Track-IR. The only thing I could use is an RTX-280 Ti, but nVidia is too freaking proud of them, IMO. Waiting for prices to drop, if ever.
They're getting what they're getting and selling out because of all the cryptocurrency mining going on....

i7 4770K OC'ed to 4.3, GTX 1070 Seahawk (OC'ed), Oculus Rift CV1, 32Gb RAM, 64-bit Windows 10
Old 11-01-2018, 01:43 AM   #17
Bananimal

Yeah, I know. Sucks for us.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:41 AM   #18
Bananimal

I think this is going to happen, guys. We're at $7,100. Only $400 more to go. This is going to be Epic! Woot Woot!
Old 11-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #19
26-J39

Currently $7560. Good work Bananimal

Looking forward to seeing Movers thoughts on DCS
Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 PM   #20
Bananimal

I was just going to check. Don't thank me. Thank C.W. and Wags and all that donated for a good cause. Wags had the ED guys post C.W.'s offer in the weekly news thread and it took off quickly from there.

The tentative date for the comparison is going to be the 24th. It'll take about a week for C.W. to get the video ready, so we're looking at a 1st week of December time frame for his Vlog if everything goes as currently scheduled. Ultimately, that's up to C.W. and his schedule. Things can happen. But rest assured, it will be done. :-)

Last edited by Bananimal; 11-04-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Closed Thread