Beginners Guide to DCS World Aircraft Mods - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
RedBeard2

Default Dummies Guide to Aircraft Mods

After going through the forums many times, fiddling with the Wunderluft sample, and trying to figure out how to go about adding a human flyable aircraft Mod, I have finally broken down and started to collect all the information I've had to learn into one spot.

This is an on-going work in progress as I still have outstanding questions that are yet to be answered. I plan to continue to update this as more information becomes available. So far, it is over 70 pages of collected information and references and I have included 3DS Max models to illustrate the steps as well.

The guide and samples may be viewed and/or downloaded here:

Last edited by RedBeard2; 08-19-2015 at 10:16 PM.
RedBeard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Cobra847
3rd Party Developer

This is a brilliant resource; and not really just a "dummies guide".

Great work!!!

Founder & Lead Artist
Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
Cobra847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #3
blksolo

Although I didnt read it in depth it doesnt seem like a "dummies" guide to me,looks kinda complicated. Are you saying someone with little to no programming experience could do this? If so I'm all over it!
blksolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
SilentEagle

Excellent! I had some interest in making a guide like this myself, but I realized just how time consuming that would be. However, this is great for those looking to get started. Once you get into the programming is when this guide will have limited use, as much of that is up to the individual developer and many things would be covered under NDA.

When I have some free time, I'll look through this more in depth and see if I have anything to add.
SilentEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
VBS_Nero

VBS_Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
RedBeard2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksolo View Post
Although I didnt read it in depth it doesnt seem like a "dummies" guide to me,looks kinda complicated. Are you saying someone with little to no programming experience could do this? If so I'm all over it!
I've tried to make it as simple as possible, but adding aircraft does require a certain amount of knowledge and experience. Note that I started with no DCS or modeling experience at all (though I have 20+ years of programming experience). At a minimum, you need skills in algebra and geometry and some ability to understand conversion from one unit scale to another. Knowledge of calculus is an advantage, but I've tried to isolate that as much as possible.

The above will get you far enough to add an AI flown aircraft using the SFM and possibly a human flown aircraft with some existing cockpit (e.g. Su-25T). Adding your own cockpit or using the External Flight Model instead of the SFM will require programming experience.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

you can tweak and extend the SFM Values in the LUAs to get "better" performance.
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
RedBeard2

I should probably point out, before someone notices, that although the stage 4 zip write up says the SFM has been tuned, it has not. I need more answers to questions in that regard before I can claim it has been tuned.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
NineLine
Community Manager

Very nice guides!
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Ells228
3rd Party Developer

Send a message via MSN to Ells228

Great guides!!
Ells228 is offline   Reply With Quote