SA Page and MIDS reference by Wags - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
sk000tch

Default SA Page and MIDS reference by Wags

In his latest beta teaser, wags mentioned significant work on the SA page. I've been wondering how they were going to make that work without tactical network in place. Presumably the mids radios are a step in that direction, but is a dumbed down simulation or full fledged link16?

Have we been given any type of indication of what to expect long term?

The SA page at a minimum will have friendly position/heading/speed/alt info overlayed waypoint sequence. So it should be a step up from the buggy SADL 9-lines and text messages we have in the a-10, for example. But the real value is the complete tacitical picture provided by multiple sources, notably AWACS, which seems potentially doable. But IFF, EW, any word?

I've searched and didn't come up with much, and much of this kind of info seems to be random comments in youtube vids. Also, in the air to ground role is a whole other complication. I thought I had seen something about a link16/SADL gateway, which suggests other modules will eventually be networked (or that is the goal, at least?). Bug given the complexity and the scarcity of info on a2g radar implimentation I'm assuming we don't have much info here. By all means if there's some info out there i'd love to know, i'm just assuming there's not. I searched and could not find much regardaing wether the implimentation will include MAP and the EXP/SAR submodes, GMT, SEA, the CCRP/ranging or terrain modes for example, much less whether targeting or image datalink.
sk000tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
Banzaiib

It's a study level sim, so you should expect as accurate an implementation of Link 16 as technically feasible. Whether that network will be directly accessible by other, future aircraft, no one has mentioned, to my knowledge, but that would make sense.
Banzaiib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:59 AM   #3
sk000tch

I understand that, however, it’s not just about programming a single system on a single module. On many modules certain systems are not modelled thriroughly or very simplified, EW/RWR, IFF, tactical datalink, anything crypto related are all high on that list for similar reasons. Also, while link16 information is widely available, especially for our block, DCS doesn’t have the components necessary to model the network. It’s not a webpage you refresh, AWACS crew SA displays aren’t just broadcast to all friendly aircraft, or even communicate directly (for our block). Different aircraft or terminals (and nato members) communicate in different formats/interfaces, rather than go into unnecessary detail just google mids lvt fdl and you’ll have plenty to read.

My point is that even if the complexities of various systems are simplified so that a mirage, f-18, f-15 all interface in the same way, wags could just be talking about mids voice radios, with the SA page being populated like the f10 map, ignoring line of site or command and control functions. If that’s the case we probably shouldn’t expect imagery or targeting beyond the basic 9-line msgs the a-10 can receive. It’s still a study level sim, but in a pay no attention to the man behind the curtain sense.

It would be extremely cool if we had ISR assets, even just predator data or upgraded jtac/SF/sniper teams, with enhanced targeting functionality, which would open the door to create a FAC mission type. It would also allow missions targeting those ISR assets, or even DCAOCs to degrade the other sides SA/datalink on a strategic level, making multiplayer a lot more interesting.

Again though, if you don’t have the functionality, there’s nothing to take away. My hunch is that it will be simplified, SA page info coming from the fact that it’s a simulation and thus the position of every asset is known, and not dependent on individual assets’ sensors and their ability to communicate that data to the network.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:38 AM   #4
Nospin44

Regarding your question on specifics of A/G Radar modes. Pulled this from the FAQ about official features and weapons to be modelled.

Sensors:
A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL
A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA
AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod
Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)
Link-16
AWW-13 Datalink Pod
NVGs

Last edited by Nospin44; 11-21-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Nospin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
DeathAngel1

What is designation of SA page?
DeathAngel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
sk000tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nospin44 View Post
Regarding your question on specifics of A/G Radar modes. Pulled this from the FAQ about official features and weapons to be modelled.

Sensors:
A/A radar with TWS, SCAN RAID, AZ/EL
A/G radar with MAP, EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, SEA, GMT, PVU, AGR, IRA, and TA
AN/ASQ-228 ATFLIR Targeting Pod
Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System (JHMCS)
Link-16
AWW-13 Datalink Pod
NVGs
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I am not sure what PVU or IRA is, but the datalink pod is interesting - real time video from agm-84's? Should be able to find a use for that...

link-16 doesn't exactly tell us much but again, a functional SA page alone would be great. Realistic modeling would add some mission diversity and, well, realism, but relative to other things seems low priority (except that it is a prerequisite for other things).

Where did that info come from? I have not seen a feature description with that level of detail before
Old 11-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
sk000tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngel1 View Post
I don't know as that doesn't make sense, and I don't see where I said that. Can you clarify what you're referring to?
Old 11-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #8
simo1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngel1 View Post
if im getting ur question correctly SA page stands for " Situational awareness " as shown in the attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SA.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	198347  
simo1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk000tch View Post
Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. I am not sure what PVU or IRA is, but the datalink pod is interesting - real time video from agm-84's? Should be able to find a use for that...

link-16 doesn't exactly tell us much but again, a functional SA page alone would be great. Realistic modeling would add some mission diversity and, well, realism, but relative to other things seems low priority (except that it is a prerequisite for other things).

Where did that info come from? I have not seen a feature description with that level of detail before
It's from the answer to the question #3 in the stickied Hornet FAQ: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=197186

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Nospin44

Sk000ch Heres the link to the full page

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...4&postcount=13

Im curious about the datalink pod as well. Im assuming for SLAM-ERs for the video feed?
Nospin44 is offline   Reply With Quote