Altitude in meters or feet?

Mouse_99

I'm a newbie on the Mirage 2000c, I'm a bit confused about the altitude readout on the HUD. I see the INS allows to input in feet or metes, but I'm not sure what is displayed on the HUD, is it feet or meters, or does it depend on your settings in DCS?

Both Barometric and radar altitude as displayed in the HUD are in feet. AFAIK there is no way to display altitude in meters apart from the PCN. And distances are in nautical miles, and speeds in knots. Although certain air-to-ground modes will give you a distance in kilometers.

^ This! :)

spacer.png

In the configuration of DCS you can choice imperial or metric values.

I don't think it will change the instruments setting, only the external view bar, mission editor and F10 map view.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I don't think it will change the instruments setting, only the external view bar, mission editor and F10 map view.

I concur, it won't change anything in the M-2000C cockpit.

Some DCS aircraft may see changes depending on this setting, but not the M-2000C.

Thanks for straightening me out on that, the manual never really made it clear.

Good news, the revised manual by BD certainly will make it clear :)

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

Maybe Razbam should create a new SI unit - Baguette-o-meter XD

Well, considering the US is one of the last nation in the world using the imperial system, it would be unfair for all the others countries to name the metric system "Baguette-o-meter" ))

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

Especially since the former former Warsaw Pact countries used the "baguette-o-meter" system :megalol:

:lol:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

• 10 months later...

interesting that not only the fact that the French Invented the metric system, but also considering that the metric system is largely Universal ( save maybe for backwards USA)

that the French don't measure the altitude in metric but in Feet for thier aircraft like the M2000

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

interesting that not only the fact that the French Invented the metric system, but also considering that the metric system is largely Universal ( save maybe for backwards USA)

that the French don't measure the altitude in metric but in Feet for thier aircraft like the M2000

Because after WW2 British and US imposed imperial system and France is a NATO country.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Because after WW2 British and US imposed imperial system and France is a NATO country.

the British despite founding the Imperial System Switched over to the Metric System in the 1970s.

US is the only Nato Nation to remain in the Imperial System despite propositions to switch over over various points in history. and the M2000 was designed in the 70s and went into service in the 1980s.

US has no place to Impose anything, especially not a system that is a "minorty" in its use in the globe. US didn't manage to "impose" the 45 ACP onto the Rest of NatO, when everyone else went along with the 9X19mm calibre.

If anything US Finally saw merit and was swayed in switching over to the 9x19mm calibre for commonality when they replaced the 1911 with the M9, because everyone else was using it. Don't see why the same cant happen with Metric System.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

In Britain they tried to enforce the metric system about 5-10 years ago but there was a general revolt because of the confusion over daily tasks such as purchasing produce from supermarkets. Milk and Beer are still sold in Pints. Fresh Produce in Pounds and Ounces although if it's pre-packaged it does tend to be metric. Distance measured in Miles and Altitude in feet.

Metric does apply to non food based weights generally, and more scientific endeavours in manufacturing and industry. Although not everywhere, if you look at housing here, rooms are generally advertised in Feet and Inches.

In Britain they tried to enforce the metric system about 5-10 years ago but there was a general revolt because of the confusion over daily tasks such as purchasing produce from supermarkets. Milk and Beer are still sold in Pints. Fresh Produce in Pounds and Ounces although if it's pre-packaged it does tend to be metric. Distance measured in Miles and Altitude in feet.

Metric does apply to non food based weights generally, and more scientific endeavours in manufacturing and industry. Although not everywhere, if you look at housing here, rooms are generally advertised in Feet and Inches.

Every other country that was once using the Imperial system had to overcome being used to it, but change occurred worldwide over the years since its inception. Statistically speaking US Is only 1 of 3 countries around the entire globe where Metric System is not officially adopted.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/55895/countries-havent-adopted-metric-system

However what makes it confusing why for Aviation the UShasnt gone to metric for things like altitude measurement when ground branches of the US military like the Army or MArince Corps regularly use metric system

IE spotting out enemy position " Enemy Target 6 oclock, 500 Meters". or announcing distance to a given point " 5 more klicks till we reach the OP"

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

the British despite founding the Imperial System Switched over to the Metric System in the 1970s.

US is the only Nato Nation to remain in the Imperial System despite propositions to switch over over various points in history. and the M2000 was designed in the 70s and went into service in the 1980s.

US has no place to Impose anything, especially not a system that is a "minorty" in its use in the globe. US didn't manage to "impose" the 45 ACP onto the Rest of NatO, when everyone else went along with the 9X19mm calibre.

If anything US Finally saw merit and was swayed in switching over to the 9x19mm calibre for commonality when they replaced the 1911 with the M9, because everyone else was using it. Don't see why the same cant happen with Metric System.

Ok, find me a British plane designed in the 70' using metric system...

Up to 1940 French plane were using metric system, so did German and Russian planes.

After WW2 we switched to kt/ feet...period.

This is international standard.

Mirage fanatic !

Nautical miles makes sense. 1 NM is 1 minute of latitude. Feet MSL is kind of in the gray area; you want your ATC calls consistent and I guess the US got there first so here's to good old that's-the-way-it's-always-been.

Wholeheartedly agree that Imperial units is patently ridiculous and should be consigned to the scrap heap of history.

45 ACP is making a comeback. 9mm doesn't have much in the way of stopping power. Sure, you have fewer 45 rounds, but think in terms of incapacitations-per-magazine.

M-2000C HUD displays in feet, but when you're inputting altitudes in the INS, the left window (selected with 1 or 7) is in feet but if you prefer meters you can input that in the right window (3 or 9).

Nautical miles makes sense. 1 NM is 1 minute of latitude. Feet MSL is kind of in the gray area; you want your ATC calls consistent and I guess the US got there first so here's to good old that's-the-way-it's-always-been.

Wholeheartedly agree that Imperial units is patently ridiculous and should be consigned to the scrap heap of history.

45 ACP is making a comeback. 9mm doesn't have much in the way of stopping power. Sure, you have fewer 45 rounds, but think in terms of incapacitations-per-magazine.

M-2000C HUD displays in feet, but when you're inputting altitudes in the INS, the left window (selected with 1 or 7) is in feet but if you prefer meters you can input that in the right window (3 or 9).

45 is not making a comeback. The m9 replacement , new m17 pistol ( sig p320) is again 9mm chambered. Rest of NATO still uses 9mm afaik.

45 AFP superiority over 9mm That may have had some truth 30 years ago and before but not today.

Advances in gunpowder composition have made it that 9mm is once again a calibre of choice for law enforcement. Instead of 40 Smith and Weston which was adopted because old 9mm lacked enough stopping power.

A FBI study confirms this.

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/guns/handguns/case-closed-fbi-says-9mm-is-the-best-pistol-round/

honestly between standard military fmj and 9mm there isnt a whole much difference in stopping power.

Just a slightly larger hole made in the body but otherwise 9mm is faster velocity round with better penetration and less recoil than a 45.

The only 45 ammo type that makes any differen are hollow points with the hydrostatic shock they induce. Something the military doesn't use.

Neither is a viable substitute for a rifle cartridge.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Guys, I think you should go somewhere else to talk 45ACP Vs 9mm parabellum :music_whistling:

Both are for pussis, Mirage 2000C actually uses a pair of 30mm DEFA 554 :lol:

DEFA_554_p1220874.jpg

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

Guys, I think you should go somewhere else to talk 45ACP Vs 9mm parabellum :music_whistling:

Both are for pussis, Mirage 2000C actually uses a pair of 30mm DEFA 554 :lol:

tenor.gif?itemid=5633664

I think the "real pair" are what put the "pair" of 30mm to shame XD

img.jpg

https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/this-pilot-shot-down-an-enemy-fighter-with-his-1911

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

The basis of whether metric or imperial measurements are used is down to the presiding aviation legislation body. In the whole of Western Europe the standard is feet for altitude as laid down in the ICAO originally agreed in the Paris Convention of 1919. There was also a convention in Chicago in 1944, which laid down the articles of civil aviation law.

The USA uses feet for altitude, and inches of mercury for pressure, and both Nautical Miles and Kilometres for distance measurements and knots for airspeed.

Western Europe uses Feet for altitude, hPa (hectopascals) for pressures, feet for altitudes, kilometres and nautical miles for distances, and knots for airspeed.

The old Eastern block of nations, pressures are measured in millimetres of mercury, altitudes are measured in metres, distances in kilometres and speeds in kilometres per hour.

None of the standards have anything to do with domestic weights and measures, but were agreed (by committees - which explains the chaos as always) at conventions.

Sounds like ferry tell and fake picture :music_whistling:

Lol, like something a cheating husband will respond bac k to the wife?:megalol:

Image is just for illustration , but the story is real. Believe what you want but freak chances irl

Here's another set of stories you can deny because you probably dont want to believe it.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/bigginhill/9191503.did-part-timers-really-shoot-down-german-bomber-in-battle-of-britain/

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.defensionem.com/amp/tank-shoots-down-a-plane

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro