Chuck's F-86F Sabre Guide

Charly_Owl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for the donation of your precious time and effort Chuck. :thumbup:

It's a shame and concerning to me that a user has to produce this document.

Well... I'm not doing pro stuff, but at least writing it kept me entertained for a while. ;)

If I didn't have fun doing these guides I wouldn't be doing them. :megalol:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice guide but I have to disagree that the airspeed shown is true airspeed. It's still Indicated, but with a temp correction. Either way, TAS is still calibrated airspeed corrected for nonstandard temp (which can be adjusted in the gauge in this plane) AND altitude. Calibrated airspeed is indicated airspeed adjusted for installation and position errors. Unless that airspeed indicator is connected to the altimeter someway, I don't think that its showing TAS. Not a big deal, just something I noticed.

Edited by BSS_Sniper

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

Nice guide but I have to disagree that the airspeed shown is true airspeed. It's still Indicated, but with a temp correction. Either way, TAS is still calibrated airspeed corrected for nonstandard temp (which can be adjusted in the gauge in this plane) AND altitude. Calibrated airspeed is indicated airspeed adjusted for installation and position errors. Unless that airspeed indicator is connected to the altimeter someway, I don't think that its showing TAS. Not a big deal, just something I noticed.

It's an interesting fact that you've just brought up; I wasn't sure of this myself.

I remember reading the "true airspeed" part in a very early Belsimtek draft (I obviously haven't read the official manual since it wasn't written at the time I made this guide), but it could've easily have been changed by now. I just double-checked and the real F-86 flight manual states that it's an indicated airspeed like you say, so I made the necessary corrections and uploaded a new version.

• 7 months later...

Just stumbled across this document. Thank you very much Chuck!! this is probably one of the best resources for using the systems on a Sabre, and actually any DCS module, I've seen yet. I think the only thing I liked better was Crash's "1 Minute" series. He did say he would get around to the Sabre jet for his "! Min" treatment, but I gotta say this is super helpful.

I'm a flight sim system dummy. I flew IL2 1946, or some form there of, for so long (13 years) that I know nothing of modern iron systems, employment of fancy weaps, avionics suites, etc.....far enough removed that all of this seems very intimidating and I limited myself to the Huey until this past week. This little gem has helped me simplify the Sabre, and I can now function as a wingman on servers where AI are actually trying to kill me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to make something like this. Most guys who play this sim seem to really enjoy getting into studying manuals, and I'm a little less motivated to follow suit, so this is a nice little quick ref compromise for me to follow to get me up to speed the way I like to be brought up!!

Cheers for the mini manual to all involved!!!

~S

• 1 year later...

Thanks Chuck

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

• 6 months later...