In regards to performance/Developments

I wonder if ED plan on some more optimization in the future? I’m all for releasing content, but some of the persistent issues - performance/optimization related is causing me to re-invest into my PC rather than more products for DCS. My PC isn’t low on the spectrum in terms of performance ether. With a 4770k, Raid 0 SSD dedicated solely for DCS, GTX 1070 a $400 card; flight simming solely for DCS is becoming more expensive as I’ve run into no other performance issues related on any other sims I choose to employ..at-least since some 780 issue with IL2 BOX, that I managed to work my way around till I got the 1070.

But I’m still plagued with strange things that really tank my experience – granted my expectations are set high. It's still not THAT high, I don't want 4k, I'm happy with 1080p and high settings. I still don’t believe the specs I’ve set to be too demanding to encounter the issues I’ve run into..like A2A combat is a crab shoot sometimes the missile impact on a target is enough to drop my system into a lock for 1-2 seconds ruining a good flow, adding clouds to any mission can tank up to %30 of performance, looking at the sun, carrier based mission is a real sore point as well, DCS fills up the entire 8GB VRAM and the memory sometimes doesn't dump properly changing maps. The list could go on..I'm able to get 60 FPS stable but certain functions really strips it down - it's just never consistent when I feel it has alot of potential to be a much more stable platform and instead of saving for a 1080ti, I could pour into investing on more modules.

I don’t mean to rant on this GD! I’m happy with these upcoming changes! Just a little bitter to see more things added and hope ED tread carefully in fear of further destabilizing an already bad situation. Soon I'll be required to have a Titan V to attain the stability I need at 1080p with the added developments..

Edited by TexasWarbird

I7 8770K @Stock / 32 GB DDR4 / ASUS Prime Z370-A / MSI Armor GTX 1070 8GB / Samsung 850Pro x 4 Drives in R0 @ (2GBS R&W) / Windows 10 Pro

Please go read the threads about Vulkan, which is currently "in progress", so hopefully we'll get it vaguely soon.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

+1

I feel that there isn´t much point in putting more modules into thi, as long as the dev's doesn´t put more effort into optimising the core sim.

Vulcan might make things perform better, but so we where alos told with the introduction of DX11 with DCS 2.x and "in progress" means that we can be a year, two years or even more from seeing this.

Optimisation and bugfixing doesn´t seem to be of highest priority.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

I concur. I'm running VR, and there's been a reduction of performance there, too (since VR is such a hog, that's not surprising). I won't be buying any more modules until it reaches a better state. I REALLY want the PG and the Tomcat, but I shudder to think how they'd run. :( Still, I remain hopeful.

Seems DCS has received much optimization in the last 6-7 years - for me it runs much much better than back then.

What are your exact RAM specs? The CPU seems old but your single thread rating is not bad...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4770K-vs-Intel-i5-7600K/1919vs2919

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Those are all valid assumptions and concerns, I have been there too and still some of those ideas and opinions sound rather true to me, they should be heard, they come from paying and willing customers. Optimise optimise and optimise even more....well said.

THEY ARE DOING JUST THAT, for the past few years I guess.

DX11 did not bring salvation, the game developed faster and heavier than likely expected. There is a performance boost from 2.5 vs 1.5, but not enough. Our 5G cores are full-tilt, DX11 is full-tilt, ED needed to pull another trick, which is Vulkan. I do not think ED planned to make DX11 happen and then DIRECTLY invest into Vulkan, it's a reaction of the situation that developed imho.I guess if they had known DX11 is that much short of being "it" they would have planned Vulkan earlier, maybe not, dpends on if Vulkan was available back then when that problem was on the meeting table.

Dont forget that you arent running a game that can cut corners whereever the devs need to. Here, at DCS, the Pilots demand a lot and ED delivers a lot, ...at a price. You need decent Hardware for now and some skills too, and some luck !

Happy Flying...all will be good, I am very confident

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I agree as if now the most important factor for new customer is "peformance", not everybody has the money to run a high-end system, and I am quite sure a lot of potential customers already give up when they''ve tried DCS for free, Vulkan or whatever "trick" is absoultely need to improve performance with medium-high end hardware.

Even with a 1080ti you can get costant 60 fps.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

I agree as if now the most important factor for new customer is "peformance", not everybody has the money to run a high-end system, and I am quite sure a lot of potential customers already give up when they''ve tried DCS for free, Vulkan or whatever "trick" is absoultely need to improve performance with medium-high end hardware.

Even with a 1080ti you can get costant 60 fps.

I agree

Maybe if they added the option to choose between various texture resolution.

If You run on 1920x1080, then You don´t need 4096x4096 textures, but could do fine with 2048x2048 or even 1024x1024.

It´s not so that DCS at present looks better than other flightsims, that uses far less resources.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Dont forget that you arent running a game that can cut corners whereever the devs need to. Here, at DCS, the Pilots demand a lot and ED delivers a lot, ...at a price. You need decent Hardware for now and some skills too, and some luck !

Happy Flying...all will be good, I am very confident

The issue I'm attempting to bring light to is consistency. I'm all for playing a highly detailed sims and I enjoy it very much. If I understand the consumer base of this product - it's meant to be generally available for med to high system builds or more specifically the minimum requirements listed on the 2.5 DL page for Steam for and the main hub. Detailed sims that are unable to reach it's targeted consumer base could hurt potential opportunities at more profits by dis-encourage further investment due to poor software experience.

Reviews for DCS like the one listed below are peppered pretty frequently throughout the steam. I'm not going to speculate his build. But the concern that arises is that issues like his are reported frequently - even users on graphics cards/equipment one generation behind. Granted I don't use steam for DCS - But the issues are cross platform and in my opinion across too wide of a hardware spectrum.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/stoneheart32/recommended/223750/

Also another problem is that most users who exceed these requirements, run into consistency issues across All Graphical Settings. I'm not saying it's unacceptable. I'm just concerned for the amount of content being deployed with the risk of further destabilizing existing issues..issues that still has High capability to dampen experience.

I spent a good amount of time Saturday digging into these issues extensively. Such as the A2A engagements and memory stacking etc..etc..and can report these issues are consistent across all graphical settings/ OS builds. Most notable the A2A engagements, as something that happens frequently in this sim. It was something that had my hopes to first resolve. (If you'd like to know what I've tried let me know).

Good performance with this sim seems just out of reach. I believe the DX11 update was a good improvement and the game is great - I have a good experience with this product most of the time. But there are still some high attention items that needs to be addressed to further improve performance and to help rid DCS of the negative image as sim that requires an over powered system..Make it more available to a wider variety of customers and more consistent to users who already have DCS and to encourage people to spend more money into the product - rather than to spend more into their Computers and remove the "NASA required computer to run" stigma

Edited by TexasWarbird

I7 8770K @Stock / 32 GB DDR4 / ASUS Prime Z370-A / MSI Armor GTX 1070 8GB / Samsung 850Pro x 4 Drives in R0 @ (2GBS R&W) / Windows 10 Pro

I Wonder strongly why there is no ASW / asynchronous reprojection equivalent for a screen use ?

That will simply work like in VR (you have a 60Hz screen, when you can't reach 60fps your GPU calculate 30fps and this "ASW" gives 30 other synthetic fps)

It would only give same VR artefacts (some distorsions when picture is moving fast) in counterpart of max screen refresh rate/sync fps all the time.

I bet many people would love it the same way many VR users love it (to me ASW is some kind of Voodoo… it eat nothing (?) and give 50% of your fps with minimal drawbacks)

Oculus, Steam and all VR manufacturers seam to have the software to do that - conversion from VR to screen use shouldn't meet any kind of problem ??

Good question ! Perhaps the VR headset people HAD to develop ASW , etc in order to sell headsets with current technology , while monitor manufacturers had no such pressure . No motivation=no product .

It does seem like it would be helpful to the 4k guys , in particular .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Maybe OT but generally running SSD's in raid 0 hinders performance in most cases

It all depends on what kind of I/O you expect.

The latency for ANY Raid level but Raid-1 is higher than a single drive, out of nature how it works. Tho with SSD's, this should be almost if not totally eliminated as you do not have to sync spinning platters first before accessing data, SSD's sync insantly I assume.

The other specific drawback of Raid-0 would be if the data to be written or read is so small that it fits on 1 drive's part of the block alone and does not fill over to the 2nd drive. In this case you loose the Speed advantage.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

It all depends on what kind of I/O you expect.

The latency for ANY Raid level but Raid-1 is higher than a single drive, out of nature how it works. Tho with SSD's, this should be almost if not totally eliminated as you do not have to sync spinning platters first before accessing data, SSD's sync insantly I assume.

The other specific drawback of Raid-0 would be if the data to be written or read is so small that it fits on 1 drive's part of the block alone and does not fill over to the 2nd drive. In this case you loose the Speed advantage.

I assume that means you agree? Just wanna say ive never seen any benchmark anywhere where 2 ssd raid 0 was faster than an single drive. Assuming they are same brand/type of course

ehhh NO

My Raid-0 with 2 x Samsung 850Pro-256GB has 1001MB/sec read, WAY more than a singe 850 Pro. Write speed was also almost double, dont have the numbers at hand but both values were almost double of a single drive.

You have not seen proper Raid setups I assume, like a 16 Port SAS controller with proper drives, those things FLY :)

Anyway, the actual reason for RAID is redundancy foremost, some penalty in access time with HDD is about the only drawback, that's as I said, where any single drive is faster. Only Raid-1 does not get that penalty but also has no speed advantage that any other Raid has.

The reason for my Raid-0 setup is simple, make it 1 logical 512GB drive. If I wanted the speed I'd get me a 2nd NVMe and call it a day.

pfffffff....just play at 840x480 res and you're will be SET STUTTER FREE ^___^

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

My first flight was 320x240 Baaahhh

came a long way !

came a long way !

Yeah back in the waaay distant past I remember first flying Flanker 2.5 on a venerable ATi Radeon 9500 card in that resolution, then at 640x480 then 1024x768 it was amazing (SVGA baby woohoo)

Edited by Mustang

came a long way !

You'll still get the A2A stutter Lol, I tried this over the weekend. Granted it wasn't 320x240 it was pretty low - same thing happened hitting the Mig-21 with a missile.

Whaaaat ? OMG !

Freakin' code needs a HYPER CPU and GPU and the matching Uber-API