L-39 propper bombing attack

Aries101

Hi guys.

I wonder, maybe you know. Is there on youtube guide or at least video with L-39 ZA bombing aproach, roll dive and all that goes with bombing.

I wanna get better at it but to be able to see it visually how it is done would help greatly.

I could also use suggestion about axis curves for joystick. I use Thrustmaster Hotas X. my current setting is at about 30-ish for all.

Aries101 said:
I wonder, maybe you know. Is there on youtube guide or at least video with L-39 ZA bombing approach, roll dive and all that goes with bombing.

I uploaded a rocket attack to youtube a while ago, the attack run

Dropping bombs, I use a similar profile, except that roll-in altitude, release altitude/speed, sight depression, etc. are different. There are tables in the DCS L-39 Manual and Chuck's L-39 Guide but I've never been very accurate.

IIRC the idea is to roll-in wing level, get stable and hit the release altitude/speed 6 seconds later (-350m altitude).

There's a neat trick where, with infinite ammo, you use active pause at the point of release and then drop bombs - they'll fly off the rail so you can see where they land compared to the piper. You then adjust the piper and/or try to hit the same parameters.

I did this description for a CCIP attack using the F/A-18C, it uses the same ideas but obviously, it's much easier having a CCIP sight, rather than trying to hit the correct parameters for dive angle, altitude and speed at release.

FA-18C Mk-83 Bombing Example, Screen_181017_132522.jpg

Edited by Ramsay
Fix post formatting and broken link
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Nice tips..I actually never thought to set infinite ammo for targeting practise runs.

I love that vid it is nice and very informative. ANd that actual dive is what I was reading in guides 8official one and Chucks) but you never know untill you see it in action.

Edited by Aries101

I like to use rudder for SMALL corrections...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hello guys.

After some extensive bombing testing I came to conclusion that best bet is 4 x 250 kg bombs. Fuel should be not abive 65% if I remember well due to max takeoff weight.Set targeting wheel at 10, Altitude was rather lowly aproximate 1000 ft. For added "precision" (better spread) I used "Train" setting to get wider spread. Gyro as usual is set to fixed position. Make very shallow dive at full throttle (which is slow enough already anyway lol) just as your piper pass target so you don't get more steep that 10 degrees down and drip your bombs when your middle dot is exactly on target. What i also found out is that you need to pre align your direction so that your piper marker pass directly over target. Usualy even tiny wobbles before dropping bombs will make you miss. I saw several benefits this way, you get spoted late if you fly very low...like treetop low and then rise to 1000 ft before attack. Second, you are already at decent speed to make yourself harder target. Also best chance to not get shot is to wiggle like snake with full throttle and flying level and low. One note, I might be a bit wrong on altitude on this since I drew data from memory. I hope it might help you. It is not "by the book" but it worked for me.