Home Fries' SA342 Skins

Home Fries

This is a fictional skin pack of SA342L/M/Mistral Gazelles with HMLA-167 markings. Each SA342 variant has five different BuNos (USN/USMC serial numbers) allowing you to create packages of different aircraft. You still provide your own two digit MODEX (side number) in the mission editor. This skin pack is intended to satisfy one's "cobra itch" until the AH-1 is released.

HMLA-167 "Warriors" Skin pack

sa342l_hmla167_zpsf7qwtk7e.jpg

Note: this skin pack uses an EXE installer that creates common texture folders and an autoexec.cfg (if you already have one, you can make manual changes). I would like your feedback on this system; if it works I intend to apply it to my other skin packs.

A Note About Autoexec.cfg:

Rather than copying texture files to their respective livery folders, I prefer to use a series of common texture folders along with unique filenames. This allows a single instance of many of my common textures, and keeps the hard drive footprint to a minimum (especially nice if you run a SSD for your system drive).

The installer will add a series of folders to the DCS Texture path; if you do not have these folders created, then it is no problem. The autoexec.cfg included will automatically point to the Texture folder in your Saved Games\DCS folder, and regardless of whether you run the Open Alpha, Open Beta, or Release version of DCS, the path will always point to your Saved Games\DCS\Texture folder. Again, this saves space on your hard drive.

If you use your own Autoexec.cfg, then when prompted to overwrite you can click "no". This will create a file called autoexec.new, and you can manually make the updates as you like. Just don't modify the top line with the file date; this is used by the installer for version control. However, feel free to include it in your existing autoexec.cfg, so you don't get prompted to overwrite until there's another update to the autoexec.cfg.

If you inadvertently overwrite your autoexec.cfg, it is actually backed up as autoexec.old. Just open it and copy the appropriate information to the new file.

Edited by Home Fries

• 1 month later...

The HMLA-169 Skin Pack has just been released.

This is a fictional skin pack of SA342L/M/Mistral Gazelles with HMLA-169 markings. Each SA342 variant has four different BuNos (USN/USMC serial numbers), including one high color Commanding Officer's bird, allowing you to create packages of different aircraft. You still provide your own two digit MODEX (side number) in the mission editor. Each skin has a "normal" version and a weathered version. Weathered skins have a bleached effect as if the aircraft were heavily exposed to the sun for months on end. Normal skins include pilots with green flightsuits, while weathered skins include pilots with desert flightsuits.

HMLA squadrons fly both Hueys and Cobras, so these skins are intended to be used with the existing UH-1 skins as well as the Fictional Ka-50 skins of the same squadron.

169_MCO_zpszjeevhfb.jpg

169_L_w_zpsg56zmmnw.jpg~original

169_M_zps1xrkmxmc.jpg

169_Mis_w_zpsc9ujjgq1.jpg

The HMLA-167 Skin Pack has also been updated to 1.5, incorporating the same weathering conventions.

167_Mis_w_zpsmtfgkrvc.jpg

Edited by Home Fries

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Blue Thunder v1.0 is up!

This is a fictional skin pack of SA342L/M/Mistral/Minigun Gazelles with OH-17A Blue Thunder markings from the 1983 movie of the same name. We may not have Los Angeles to fly in, but Las Vegas should be a sufficient urban environment.

y4me9_BPNKL9GTPW5OPCDBMITC2mUxdwTS7WyeyREFEPguhliadcyQ97jHJ7VeWVXdhli-XfUnUd1AzUp-i7ckCpK1VjuYZyfl2H7zt_noCdllW6yyeci0Q0pHwntLeM7S3BOr-VjoCj66V6aHnE0jyA__MWACs1AHUcrvfalpgouNEIgqFUqJL18Uk8EfBDO4TK7vQIz3OA9wjja3TZk-vQw

y4mVkin3gWnrJiZpvB2xkyn5jbLZZ-C6K8jwuumcNWyOTyQESBac5MDH50qNH6CX2r1wzfT1zcLVTBmHGR3zM92QQw-CrLij3md2O_yfOIbdIbJ855-tXJPsDMGHNqjSHW3HrVAfPFMcfixlXR0efxehtwZZ067O5U5s_Q-m998idWXiDYqRTuHdRbAERk_zHmRJ1LnTlQwFM0zwCt8A7Y66w

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

These are awesome, love the Marines schemes!

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

• 1 month later...

I've tried installing the HMLA-167 pack using the installer and also manually but the textures only show up as the green digi cam that shows when the textures are broken.

Any advice?

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

Hi Dusty,

I just need some information:

First, did you install using the compact, full, or JSGME option?

If Compact:

1. Is your Saved Games folder in the default location (e.g. c:\Users\Username\Saved Games)?
  2. Did you allow the autoexec.cfg in the installer to overwrite your existing autoexec? If not, did you manually copy over the parameters to your existing autoexec?
  3. The installer was built before the OpenBeta became the de facto primary DCS build, and the textures are installed in Saved Games\DCS. If you only use OpenBeta, did you allow the Saved Games\DCS folder to be created?

Also, are you viewing textures in DCS itself, or using the Model Viewer (which currently has issues)?

• 2 years later...
On 3/7/2019 at 4:00 AM, DUSTY said:

I've tried installing the HMLA-167 pack using the installer and also manually but the textures only show up as the green digi cam that shows when the textures are broken.

Any advice?

Im having the same problem. 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10