Elevator authority too high in touchdown

Alfredson007

This bird seems to fly pretty realistic from what i see and read, but the elevator, especially when used for aerobraking... real life manual states that gradually give full aft elevator after touchdown, and the nose should come down at around 75-80 knots or so (two sources), give or take. I also see in youtube videos that very soon their stick seems to be full aft or very near.

In DCS though, i can still scrape the tail even if the speed has bleed to less than 70...

So, a bug?

• ED Team

I do not think so. The criterium is rotation speed and required stick displacement for it. It is exactly as it is recorded in the test flight and our testers flying L-39 stated.

It is absolute criterium, because the plane begins rotation from the determined pitch angle.

The landing run is not so determined, because you can balance at high pitch having CoG just over the main wheels, and the required elevator deflection will not be very high. And you really can scrape the ground because afetr the certain AoA the plane becomes tail heavy while running on main wheels.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Yes, elevator authority is modeled correctly, the problem is that we have short sticks, which have much shorter travel range than the long stick in aircraft. Unfortunately the curve is not ideal solution, because it messes up the trim and introduces more non-linearity in control. I was able to fly a mil-spec L-39 in a real cockpit, had no problem to take-off, land, taxi in it, only with previous DCS experience, it was actually easier than DCS as I had more precise control during rotation/flare and maneuvers due to the long stick.