Which Virpil stick for F18-C ?

RedbArOn6

Just ordered the VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle which i'm pretty excited about to say the least. I'm learning the F/A 18-C at he moment, and need some advice on which would be the stick to get?. Am using the Hotas X at present, which has its limitations of course.

Would the Thrustmaster F/A 18-C stick on a Virpil base be a good choice.

PS: Will also be taking on the F-14B Tomcat at some time, so would i be best looking for an All round stick instead of something specific?

Regards.

Edited by RedbArOn6

I currently have the T-50CM2 base with the Warthog grip and I adore it, the Hornet grip should be the same since they use the same connector. If you're a big fan of the Hornet I would absolutely recommend getting the replica stick as there is no better feeling than pressing the actual buttons to do what you need it to do at least in my opinion, because then the HOTAS controls make sense. If you are just going to put it on your desk get the WarBRD base as the T-50CM2 requires a desk mount.

I use a TM F18 grip on a Virpil T50 base with a Virpil 20cm extension, lovely combo.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thanks guys, all good advice. With TM making exclusive sticks for some aircraft, which makes choice a little simpler, and they can also be used on Virpil Bases, which is handy. Yet on Virpil's page they mention at the bottom of most of the sticks ''* Due to limitations of the TM bases, there maybe missing or limited functionality'', has anyone experienced this, and if so how has it effected their setups?.

Regards.

I second that advice, .... get the Thrustmaster F-18 grip and put it on the WarBRD base. If you believe you will eventually fly many other types of aircraft, you might want to take a look at the Virpil Constellation ALPHA grips as well. They can easily handle the F-18 functions and are more adaptable to other sims.

I think the combination of the 'Thrustmaster F-18 grip and WarBRD base' is a logical choice, having a familar grip whilst learning a fairly complex aircraft cant be a bad thing. Kudos.

I have the TM F-18 grip (and a few others) that I use with my Virpil base.

It is a great option if you want a 1:1 experience. If you want something more versatile the CM2 (love mine) or Alpha (I don't have one yet) are great options. The analog brake lever is great for planes that have them, and the additional buttons are always welcome.

Thanks guys, all good advice. With TM making exclusive sticks for some aircraft, which makes choice a little simpler, and they can also be used on Virpil Bases, which is handy. Yet on Virpil's page they mention at the bottom of most of the sticks ''* Due to limitations of the TM bases, there maybe missing or limited functionality'', has anyone experienced this, and if so how has it effected their setups?.

I would guess this would mean some Virpil STICKS on a TM BASE you might not be able to use all the buttons on the stick (thinking the ones with a bunch more buttons than you have on TM stick -- and I think the Virpil bases are designed thinking about TM stick compatibility whereas I doubt the TM bases are)? IMHO Virpil bases are much better then the TM bases. Don't know about the Virpil sticks as I don't have one. My TM F18 stick on the Virpil WarBRD base works really well (and all the functions work on the stick with no messing around).

If the money is not an issue for you, I’d recommend instead of getting the TM Hornet grip, get the RealSimulator Hornet grip.

Each button is a five way hat, and the stick has Bluetooth built-in. I use the BT connection for buttons, and have it mounted on my T-50CM2 base for x and y axis movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I have the TM F-18 grip (and a few others) that I use with my Virpil base.

It is a great option if you want a 1:1 experience. If you want something more versatile the CM2 (love mine) or Alpha (I don't have one yet) are great options. The analog brake lever is great for planes that have them, and the additional buttons are always welcome.

Versatility is an important factor to consider, we don't all have unlimited funds, and profiling sticks and throttles is the name of the game. The 'One Stick does all' is being a little ambitious yes, but with a some forethought and careful choice, a stick can better earn its keep. I really don't want a pile of sticks, because we always naturally gravitate to what's practical, feels good and gets the job done.

If the money is not an issue for you, I’d recommend instead of getting the TM Hornet grip, get the RealSimulator Hornet grip.

Each button is a five way hat, and the stick has Bluetooth built-in. I use the BT connection for buttons, and have it mounted on my T-50CM2 base for x and y axis movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice combination truly, yet i quite fancy the ''VPC WarBRD Base+TM Hornet grip. I will be spending quality time in the F/A 18C,

so that stick would be a solid choice. Kudos.

I have a TM Hornet grip on a WarBRD base and a VPC Alpha on a WarBRD base. Nice though the TM stick is, I never use it any more. The Alpha wins on every count except the replica aspect, of course!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I have a cm2 base and own the F18, Warthdog and CM2 grip as well...

I ended up using the CM2 grip for everything, despite not being "metal" I dont regret it a all, it is a superbe grip with plently of buttons, more than the F18 and Warthdog...plus it has a lever brake analogue axis which is percect for wheel brakes with my VKB MKIV rudder.

The F18 is not ergonomic at all, very uncofortable , the lever behind it is so short that is basically usless.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

''* Due to limitations of the TM bases, there maybe missing or limited functionality'', has anyone experienced this, and if so how has it effected their setups?.

Virpil grips have an analog break lever. This lever provides an additional axis, which is supported by the VIRPIL bases. But since the TM Grips dont have any analog levers, this axis wont be assignable/useable.

Absolutly love my Virpil TM50 base with my Warthog/Hornet Grip. Just ordered a 20cm curved extension from Virpil to replace my straight extension.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Intel I9 10900k | MSI MEG Z490 Unify

How are you finding this combo? Did you overclock and what peak clock speeds are you getting. (It looks like a very nice motherboard, without spending unnecessary money on the crazy boards).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, Mr_sukebe said:

I use a TM F18 grip on a Virpil T50 base with a Virpil 20cm extension, lovely combo.

Hi Mr_sukebe, I just received my invoice from Virpil so I should get my order in the next two weeks or so. I ordered a 200 mm extension with a T-50CM2  base and F14 grip. I'm also looking to get the TM F18,Can you tell me if the Grip TM F18 fit directly over the extension or you have to remove the screws like I saw in a few posts over the Internet?

Thanks 

I didn't need to remove any screws.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Removing the screws isn't neccessary to attach the TM grips on Virpil bases/extensions. This is done so you wont damage the TM grip in case the grip twists. This also provides the possibility to angle the grip in case of a center stick usage. I had my TM Hornet grip on a T50 base with the Virpil 200mm extension and it had some tiny little movement (about 1mm left and right) when it was fully screwed down. Replaced it with a Realsimulator F-18 grip and this one is rock solid on the Virpil extension without any movement. If you are going to use the TM Hornet grip, i'd recommend to remove the screws although it is not neccessary for that combo to work properly.

Cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Without resurrecting this age old debate, I have never understood this 'remove the screws' thing.  I mean, the exact same argument about movement would apply in the original TM base with TM sticks, yet no one ever suggested removing those screws.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sure, but I’m talking about the movement point, not changing angle. The TM base is even more vulnerable to the movement damage issue as it can move with both ends fixed. If there is a case for removing screws, it would be on it!

However, I have never had the slightest issue with either base types and TM sticks. As long as the stick is tightened sufficiently, there is no issue, IMO.