New Pay Model

MacEwan

New Pay Model  

907 members have voted

1. 1. New Pay Model

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if it doesn't slow down the rate that new modules are being released

Would be in favor of a subscription service, ONLY if it meant hiring additional developers to work steadily on core game mechanics that are outdated, and in keeping existing products current and it good working order. Think this idea has merit tbh.

I still can't understand how one could promote such anti-consuemr bullshit like a subscription model!

I totally get, that people might have the impression the pseudo free-to-play model would lead ED to shifting priorities away from core/world features, BUT even if this was true (we can't know and ED would never tell us), why would you advocate for a subscription instead of just promoting having DCS pay to play, with a major new, payed version every two or three years.

This is a fair and proven way to monetize software.

Subscription models for software exist only for the developer to make more money by concealing cost and capitalizing on users lethargy.

Things might be different in the enterprise world, but that does not apply here.

I am a long time fan and follower of DCS since Lock On era and I think the current model is risky if not doomed. Is not that it's unfair or anything. Just not adapted to the present and future.

I simply stopped buying modules and play only what I already have. I buy only at extreme sales. I can only imagine there are others like me. Thus I think the devs are more and more inclined to go with the "high asking price - often sales" model that get as much as possible from people that "would pay anything for my fav thing" (model you see also in hardware/controllers market).

But, I think this is a doomsday model. A grab while you can one.

Let me give you an example:

How is it possible that the most known HOTAS in the world is way way cheaper than the newest and baddest made in China? Quality? No, number of expected sales. When you know you can build only 20 Mclarens... you ask 2 millions each.

But a game that wants and needs more and more marked and is choked at 1000 max concurrent players can survive like this.

My opinion:

3 tier pricing would be better to open up the game for future.

Tier One: Free to play. All maps (whole earth maybe) should be free at least on medium or even high settings (because each map DCS ads is another splitting wedge in community of players). All planes not in early access should be free (wait wait) without or limited armament or high fidelity features like nav aids smart weapons etc.

Tier Two: 10 bucks a month subscription. Access to all maps in highest detail. Access to all planes not in alpha/early access with all features active (smart weapons, smart navigation or navaids, NVG etc...)

Tier Three. Special for "I want to support the devs" and "I would buy it at any price" crowd. 20-100 bucks per month. Dunno... higher price in any case:

Access to everything. Early access content, beta builds, free T-Shirt etc.

WHY?

Money!

With such a system I would be satisfied. I could continue to enjoy DCSs new things and I could be in and out subscription when I wanted/could. many people would do that and this would result in a more even distributed flow of money over the year towards ED/3rd parties

The "I would buy it at any price" marked it is still well tapped and steady flow of cash from them would still exist.

The F2P and access to a lot more would really make DCS attractive to outsiders. Sorry... TF51 and Su25T are just funny at this point when advertised as free included in the game.

Problems:

-Game/modules/maps not designed for this... yes... must adapt.

-Current owners must have a different solution... yes... doable... Either acces to owned modules or 2 years tier 2 access (not to worry... 2 years pass very fast)

-other problems, all solvable...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

A subscription just allows you to pour more money than something is worth into it. If I want to fly DCS for the next 50 years, how much is it going to cost as a subscription vs a one time cost?

I wouldn't even mind donating money to ED at my own choosing (and I can sort of do that by not buying during sales). A subscription is just a loss of money for no gain though.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

You don't understand?

It is a very valid attempt to speed up the correction of the many bugs that plague DCS, like the almost inexistent ATC, faulty replays, etc, as adding additional very much needed features and modules, before that we are all six feet under.....

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

I voted no. Not because I think ED doesn't deserve it. But just imagine; a sub for your internetconnection and/or cable. For Netflix. A sub for Simracing. A sub for this, and that, and such. Then even some more subs. And within a few years we have like 10-15, if not more, subscriptions for various services/games/content. Which from that point on, it'll only be affordable for the happy few to have subs on multiple things. This will cause the number of subscriptions to decline because people will have to choose. Since DCS is already in a niche, I don't think it'll be as popular and sustainable as something like Netflix.

So no, thanks. :)

If some people want to give more support to Eagle Dynamics it is very easy to do so

Just buy some extra copies of modules you already own and give them away

Already did, and very much so. But to no avail. Grave bugs that plage us since ages are

still not resolved.....

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

Almost every free to play title features some description of a subscription model. Key is that they are optional.

An optional subscription model is very much necessary at this point in my opinion. I would be quite happy to throw a tenner ED's way every month. With a tiered model there can be multiple levels of subscription BUT those that do not wish to take part in subscription can still enjoy DCS with current model. Meanwhile, those who wish to support the deveopment can do so as well.

Being among the more ardent of ED and DCS' critics, I would love to support what is still my favorite sim anyway. Though 10$ a month, I can, for example, accrue an amount of ED Miles that'd give me a module and a half through a year. Someone can take 20 a month option for more ED Miles and perhaps additional benefits.

I would keep the sim healthy, get either a decent amount of discount or a module or two. ED would get a steady stream of $$ that they may otherwise not have gotten from me. Also, no one would need to rely on rushing early access over early access to keep the lights on.

Meanwhile, people who hates the idea of subscriptions can keep enjoying the things as it is. It is a given that at this point changing the monetization model into a forced subscription will not fly with anyone, but such an optional subscription system is a win-win for everyone involved: those who are happy to subscribe, those that do not want to subscribe, and ED themselves.

This is a suggestion, which can be though over, modified, improved, etc. But I really think that it worth a consideration, so in a way this is kind of an open letter from me to Nick Grey, Wags, Chizh :)

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

A subscription just allows you to pour more money than something is worth into it. If I want to fly DCS for the next 50 years, how much is it going to cost as a subscription vs a one time cost?

I can only look at how much I payed this year for DCS. Not close to 120$. But say I payed 60. Next year probably will be nothing now that I play other WW2 air sim more (you should see ME with visual triggers! Amazing!!) and a civilian air sim with whole earth map is to be revived at unbelievable quality. This will only make me lose contact slowly with DCS. Like me... could be others. With a on/off tier two I can maintain contact.

How many high buyers are in the world versus free loaders?

I don't say lose the money throwers and keep the freeloaders. I say make a system that gets money steady from all. A system that is adjustable. The current one is not adjustable. In 5 years a newcomer will have a huge Pay Wall in front to climb. DEAD END!

How many planes will be ready in 50 years? You must be young because I might be very well long dead in 50 years.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

the only reason this thread has any value is b/c people want things faster.

Correct! Before we are 6 feet under!

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

I think it will be fair, if we pay 50% for unfinished (EA) products, and pay another 50% when product is ready. Not to pay all the price for EA and waiting 2-3 years.

Unfinished product = unfinished payment. Thats correct. Not like now, we pay all the price but we dont have finished products. Its not fair.

..:NAVY PILOTS ARE THE THE BEST PILOTS:..

What the sim industry lack is "competition".

I hope microprose who soon will reveal a global military simulator with ships/vehicles/planes/heli/space will be of such high quality that its gona change the industry and set new standards and so to speak compete with dcs world.

The competition will be healthy for the gamers since it forces the industry to evolve and adapt if they want to survive.

I still can't understand how one could promote such anti-consuemr bullshit like a subscription model!

I totally get, that people might have the impression the pseudo free-to-play model would lead ED to shifting priorities away from core/world features, BUT even if this was true (we can't know and ED would never tell us), why would you advocate for a subscription instead of just promoting having DCS pay to play, with a major new, payed version every two or three years.

This is a fair and proven way to monetize software.

Subscription models for software exist only for the developer to make more money by concealing cost and capitalizing on users lethargy.

Things might be different in the enterprise world, but that does not apply here.

i quote myself, because i have no response yet and i assume i will never get a good one.

to those delusional souls, that just want more money to be thrown at ED in hope for change, please be informed, that ED probably has enough money. i don't want to start a discussion about ED finances, because it's probably not allowed here, but if you take the only metric you'll get - the steam stats - you'll see that DCS does decently on steam alone. i've compared it to a triple A racing sim, that is exclusively on steam and DCS holds up.

If you consider that the majority of DCS players are not on steam, you end up with DCS doing "well" or "extremely well" depending on how you estimate ed-launcher vs steam.

dcs might be a niche, but be assured it's generating enough money without collecting alms.

i understand peoples frustration about development priorities, or better: percieved development priorities, but if you are already frustrated, why would you opt for an approach that is so obviously anti-consumer and effectively lessens your power as a customer.

so, if you still feel another business model would be more viable, why not advocate for a normal pay-to-play one-time purchase with a new version every other year. you'd be effectively paying for new features - or you wouldn't if you'd find the new version not worth your money and you could keep playing the old one.

it's not rocket science!

Edited by twistking

so, if you still feel another business model would be more viable, why not advocate for a normal pay-to-play one-time purchase with a new version every other year. you'd be effectively paying for new features - or you wouldn't if you'd find the new version not worth your money and you could keep playing the old one.

it's not rocket science!

Exactly! :thumbup:

I would like to suggest something even better:

1. Make tech tree

2. Every aircraft is unlockable via tech tree with n amount of "credit"

3. Pilot earns credit with each kill. Additional credit bonuses for mission victories.

4. Pilot spends credit on consumables (fuel, ordinance...)

5. When pilot gets an aircraft, it's a basic model, and with additional credit he can buy better engines, less drag kit, better radar, better ECM, external fuel tank...

Now, the ingenious part:

6. There is second in-game currency (gold for example) which pilot can buy only with real money.

7. With gold currency pilot can buy premium time where all credit income is doubled.

8. Player can buy premium consumables (guided bombs, active radar missiles, missiles with high off boresight capability...) only with gold.

Mate this is not War Thunder LOL

..but without VR. Doomed to the shelf, for what I'm concerned.

You are not up to date be sure :) . they changed a bit the stance from not at launch to will do what we can cause the public seems to want it a lot.

Mate this is not War Thunder LOL

My thoughts exactly :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Digital Combat Simulator. If you can "buy" non-realistic upgrades on a Pay-To-Win model, then there is no reason to keep the Simulation part in the title. Could easily be Digital Combat Arcade Emulator.

Only way to end up with such a payment system is to beat the hell out of Flaming Cliff level models and branch out to a new game franchise parallel to the simulation branch. A food for thought though...if you think development timelines are horibble now, imagine how all this will work if ED shifts priorities to such a branching.

How about a lootbox system where you can have a chance to get some new skins to your aircraft. Weapons, fuel tanks could be earned with those too.

That would be good for all new players who are just starting the game. First you need to buy a module(s) and get a subscription, then you have much time to learn the planes while throwing money at screen buying lootboxes. Who knows you could even get Amraam or 10xSidewinder from a box. Then you could advance to MP and use those hard earned missiles.

Imagine the joy of discovering a fuel tank from a lootbox, now you could fly farther and if you still had a missile, or even A-G weapon you could do a ground strike.

It pointless that all missiles are just 'given' to you, nothing beats the achievement of opening a gold lootbox and getting 10xMaverick pack.

And what's best of this you wouldn't need to pay for anything useless since you'd already payed for the module(s) and the subscription fee. That would ensure that you can come back to game again and again any time you want.

Obviously the lootboxes would be optional so you wouldn't need to buy those.

Win-win scenario.

DCS is a gem, can we not start pouring the worst concepts from modern gaming into it?

i'd say ffxiv, WoW are pretty good concepts...

but i am not a CFO of either.

Intel i9-9900K 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080tiftw3, Windows 10, 1tb 970 M2, TM Warthog, 4k 144hz HDR g-sync.

How about a lootbox system where you can have a chance to get some new skins to your aircraft. Weapons, fuel tanks could be earned with those too.

That would be good for all new players who are just starting the game. First you need to buy a module(s) and get a subscription, then you have much time to learn the planes while throwing money at screen buying lootboxes. Who knows you could even get Amraam or 10xSidewinder from a box. Then you could advance to MP and use those hard earned missiles.

Imagine the joy of discovering a fuel tank from a lootbox, now you could fly farther and if you still had a missile, or even A-G weapon you could do a ground strike.

It pointless that all missiles are just 'given' to you, nothing beats the achievement of opening a gold lootbox and getting 10xMaverick pack.

And what's best of this you wouldn't need to pay for anything useless since you'd already payed for the module(s) and the subscription fee. That would ensure that you can come back to game again and again any time you want.

Obviously the lootboxes would be optional so you wouldn't need to buy those.

Win-win scenario.

+1 for lootboxes and golden ammo. This is an economic goldmine, so to speak, and gaming communities always love this completionist stuff!

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2