Dell G7 7790 with GTX 1660Ti - DCS playable?

Hi guys, I've recently bought a new Dell G7 7790 for different uses.

I'm a university student so my need was a laptop, otherwise, I would have taken a Desktop.

Specs:

CPU - i5-9300H 4.1Ghz

GPU - GTX 1660Ti

RAM - 32GB (16GB stock, now I'm waiting for the 32 I bought separately)

Storage - M.2 NVME

Now my goal is to play in 1080p with Ultra settings, or at least, high settings; and I know that those specs should be enough to do it on Desktop with 50-60fps average, but I really don't know how much difference there may be between Desktop and Laptop.

For hardware difference and optimization stuff.

Despite storage and thermals question, that I will take under control, you guys think that my laptop can run DCS on 1080p with high/ultra settings at 40/50 fps average?

I have a dell laptop I5 7757 series

core i5 7300HQ 2.5ghz

Gtx 1060 6gb max q

16g ram

1920x1080 screen resolution

SSD storage

This has been handling dcs very well for 2 years now averaging fps of 50 - 60 on high setting

I use a Samsung odyssey plus vr on it and though not getting great fps but dcs is playable on a good day with low to medium graphics settings.

I got desktop components 2years ago almost similar specs as the my Dell laptop that I have yet to setup. It has Gtx1060 gpu but I never set it up to see the difference between the desktop and laptop version.

When I got those parts, Virtual reality headset was not in the mix then so I am looking to upgrade my gpu from a gtx 1060 to perhaps a rtx 2070 super or rtx 2080 super.

So your laptop is comparatively better than mine in all specs and I would say a strong yes, you are good to go with that rig.

Temperature are very good with Dell laptops, 70 - 75 highest during game play but goes higher (lower 80s with vr headset)

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I have a dell laptop I5 7757 series

core i5 7300HQ 2.5ghz

Gtx 1060 6gb max q

16g ram

1920x1080 screen resolution

SSD storage

This has been handling dcs very well for 2 years now averaging fps of 50 - 60 on high setting

I use a Samsung odyssey plus vr on it and though not getting great fps but dcs is playable on a good day with low to medium graphics settings.

I got desktop components 2years ago almost similar specs as the my Dell laptop that I have yet to setup. It has Gtx1060 gpu but I never set it up to see the difference between the desktop and laptop version.

When I got those parts, Virtual reality headset was not in the mix then so I am looking to upgrade my gpu from a gtx 1060 to perhaps a rtx 2070 super or rtx 2080 super.

So you laptop is comparatively better than mine in all specs and I would say a strong yes, you are good to go with that rig.

Temperature are very good with Dell laptops, 70 - 75 highest during game play but goes higher (lower 80s with vr headset)

Ok man, really thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...