P-51 Hotas Anyone?

P-51 Hotas Anyone?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. P-51 Hotas Anyone?

Any update on this project?

Sorry for the late reply...I was on vacation :D

No visible progress yet...I'm still working on machinery/tooling right now. Just finishing up a cnc mill upgrade and building a cnc plasma cutter. Progress should pick up come Sept/Oct...it's very hard to be inside working when we only have about 8 weeks of summer to take advantage of where I live.

Some good news...kickstarter will now be made available to Canada. Once I have a working prototype (hopefully around December) I'm considering launching it as a kickstarter project.

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much looking forward to this project - I'm sure I will be at the front of the queue to buy the completed product :)

Sorry for the late reply...I was on vacation :D

No visible progress yet...I'm still working on machinery/tooling right now. Just finishing up a cnc mill upgrade and building a cnc plasma cutter. Progress should pick up come Sept/Oct...it's very hard to be inside working when we only have about 8 weeks of summer to take advantage of where I live.

Some good news...kickstarter will now be made available to Canada. Once I have a working prototype (hopefully around December) I'm considering launching it as a kickstarter project.

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...

I am SOLD! Gimme... Must have... NOW! I guess I will pay upwards to 750-800$ for a FFB stick.

Edited by The LT

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

• 3 weeks later...

Recently, I've been going through my old Detail & Scale books along with several Squadron Walkarounds...a nephew dropped my CH Yoke and trashed the yoke handle, which led me to consider using it to make a 'generic' US WWII throttle and (possibly) stick or trim panel setup (I never cared much for it anyway). However, it seems like each of the USAAC's various WWII fighters had its own unique throttle setup, while the Dash-1 Corsairs and Hellcat shared a basic throttle layout--but one quite different from the Army birds (prop pitch control lever juts out of the rear of the quadrant). Naturally, all of them differ radically from the Spitfire Mk IX and FW 190D throttle layouts.

It looks to me as though each type will require its own very specific design. Now I have to decide which one I'll go with...:cry:

cheers

horseback

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Here's your new Mustangs boys--you can learn to fly 'em on the way to the target!" LTCOL Don Blakeslee, late February 1944

More Parts!

Friction plates are complete! Well almost complete...they still need to be lapped. I may end up changing the material to teflon depending on how I like the lever movement on the prototype.

BTW, cutting sheet metal on a milling machine is not much fun....I may have to put some effort into completing my cnc plasma cutter.

I also acquired an old D&M5 CNC lathe which needs some TLC before being put into service making round things.

photo.thumb.JPG.e783b4e8a1bcaa55f7a589bfbef17e4c.JPG

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

These are the news I have literally waited for years!

I have planned to build a FFB control stick for myself, and I am very happy that I can buy it instead of fiddle with it:)

I understand that you have some serious machine park and mech. engineering skills to put this together.

I built control column and pedals (german style) and gained some experience through it. If you need some mechanical engineering support to your project just let me know!

Here is my work as reference:

Control stick design

Rudder pedal design

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

KG13 Control Grip Building

Control Stick and Rudder Design

i7 8700K, Asus Z370-E, 1080 Ti, 32Gb RAM, EVO960 500Gb, Oculus CV1

I am more than interested in the throttle and would like to purchase one of these as soon as they are available.

Any idea on cost or availability date?

Also I am assuming that everything on throttle is functional including the gun sight range setting twist grip (IE. this is a joy stick axis) and the push to talk button. And that this will be a standard plug and play "joy stick" requiring only some minor in sim configuration (IE. no need for special drivers).

These are the news I have literally waited for years!

I have planned to build a FFB control stick for myself, and I am very happy that I can buy it instead of fiddle with it:)

I understand that you have some serious machine park and mech. engineering skills to put this together.

I built control column and pedals (german style) and gained some experience through it. If you need some mechanical engineering support to your project just let me know!

Here is my work as reference:

Control stick design

Rudder pedal design

Wow! That is some very impressive work. When I get further along with the stick design I'll definitely keep you in mind for tech support. I am a mechanical engineer as well (technically I have to say E.I.T. since I don't have P. Eng. status even though I've been working as an engineer in aerospace for the last dozen or so years). It always helps to have more than one set of engineering eyes on a problem!

Speaking of that, would it be force feedback? If it does I'd certainly be more willing to buy it, would be nice to get a replica stick and a the ability to feel when I was pushing the plane too far.

Yes...it will be force feedback...I won't really have many details on it until the throttle quadrant prototype is complete though. I want to finish one project before moving on to the next....well more or less...some things can be worked in parallel.

I am more than interested in the throttle and would like to purchase one of these as soon as they are available.

Any idea on cost or availability date?

Also I am assuming that everything on throttle is functional including the gun sight range setting twist grip (IE. this is a joy stick axis) and the push to talk button. And that this will be a standard plug and play "joy stick" requiring only some minor in sim configuration (IE. no need for special drivers).

Thank you for the interest. I still don't have a set cost and availability date...I am hoping to have a working prototype by December and then at least another month or two before all the bugs are worked out and the manufacturing issues/decisions worked out. My target price for the quadrant is roughly $300, but that could vary quite a bit depending on how much of the manufacturing is kept in house (goal is 100%).

Everything on the throttle will be as in the game - twist grip, push to talk even break-wire on WEP and emergency full rich. I am planning to build it around the standard USB HID protocol...so that means plug and play with no special drivers.

I have had several private requests to be added to the front of the line for purchasing when it is finally available for sale. I will be keeping this as a first come first serve list who will have the first option to buy when it's available. If you want on the list please let me know. There is no commitment (but please only ask to be added if you're serious) and I won't be taking any kind of deposits for reserving until it's very close to production. If you want on the list please send me a PM.

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement!

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step

I think you have a winner! I did something similar in the early 90's for a NASCAR wheel/shifter. Then MOMO came out and negated the interest. Don't see that happening here, but this is a great time to get in with 1944 project to be the name brand. The ultimate would be the Dreamflyer with this setup! Great Fortune, good design!

• 2 weeks later...

2nd try

I just couldn't let it go....I really wasn't happy with how the previous mixture lever was machined. When I investigated further I found a thrust bearing had broken loose on the x axis of the mill and was causing all of the problems with circular interpolation. You can see how bad it is in the closeup of the previously machined lever and how much better it is in the most recent one. Now at least I have one practice piece when I go to do the bending!

old.thumb.jpg.5d1709bb542ffe1253720c053750ab2b.jpg

new.thumb.jpeg.5ff211f1bce18ebc1168d07720be0ebe.jpeg

both.thumb.JPG.7ce0c8307d0eecbab0b5a1aa68076bad.JPG

LOGICNC.COM

The Next Logical Step