What is the Hover Check

irfanahmed1979

I've never really bothered about it till now but how does one perform the hover check in DCS? I just thought it was a non-functional radio command but then again I can't hover in one position for more than a few seconds :(

What's the correct procedure for hover check and how should the ATC respond once it is successfully completed?

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

The hover check is just to check your aircraft weight and power margin to make sure that your performance planning is correct. It should be at I think 5 feet in the Huey and will be in the direction of takeoff.

ATC usually will just ask for you to contact them when ready for departure I usually don’t tell them though that I’m doing a hover check I will just get it while I am air taxiing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

The hover check is just to check your aircraft weight and power margin to make sure that your performance planning is correct. It should be at I think 5 feet in the Huey and will be in the direction of takeoff.

ATC usually will just ask for you to contact them when ready for departure I usually don’t tell them though that I’m doing a hover check I will just get it while I am air taxiing.

Thanks. So after calling the ATC for hover check the ATC will ask to contact them for departure and then after performing the hover check there is no response from the ATC, right?

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

What is the Hover Check

Not normally they just take it as a delay they don’t really know what we have to do in the cockpit so they don’t usually bother us unless another aircraft is wanting to takeoff or land.

Also here is task 1028 out of the UH-1 ATM it explains what a hover power check is and what the standards are 8de207f707855b34383ce4b4996b8a3e.png

Edited by Eagle_Rising

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

In real life, the hover check has nothing to do with ATC. It is simply a quick check of Ts and Ps, power available and general status prior to carrying out the take-off profile.

I have flown helicopters for over 20years with about 7000hs on different types, from military, to offshore and now air ambulance - and its pretty much the same routine for all types. Its basically your last “idiot check” before throwing yourself into the air!

In real life, the hover check has nothing to do with ATC. It is simply a quick check of Ts and Ps, power available and general status prior to carrying out the take-off profile.

I have flown helicopters for over 20years with about 7000hs on different types, from military, to offshore and now air ambulance - and its pretty much the same routine for all types. Its basically your last “idiot check” before throwing yourself into the air!

TED, although out of topic, with your experience in the real thing I can't avoid asking you to comment on the quality of DCS's UH-1H Flight Dynamics and Systems Modelling.

Have you used helicopters in other ( non-professional / FNPT ) simulator platforms ? How do they compare ?

Thank you for any insight ;-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

TED, although out of topic, with your experience in the real thing I can't avoid asking you to comment on the quality of DCS's UH-1H Flight Dynamics and Systems Modelling.

Have you used helicopters in other ( non-professional / FNPT ) simulator platforms ? How do they compare ?

Thank you for any insight ;-)

jcomm - yes i have used many simulators - mostly full motion FTD level 4 simulators for work. These have included - Lynx, Super Puma, S92, S76, AW169, and very soon H145. I have been instructor on 92, 76 and 169, so spent most time in those sims - both in the instructor operating station and in the pilot seat as well as of course flying normal line flying ops and instructing in the real helicopters - mostly offshore and HEMS. I have not used any other non-professional simulator software though.

I am very new to DCS and am using it with VR and i have to say i am blown away by the level of realism. It way exceeded my expectations and in some ways it is better than the professional simulators we use for work. Granted it does not have the motion and the full mock-up physical cockpit, but the resolution and fields of view the VR offers over traditional screens is not to be underestimated for helicopter training. I initially was investigating VR for training potential, but found all the fun stuff as a sideline distraction ;)

As far as the flight characteristics and modelling go, I have to say they are pretty damn good. I think the main limitations are actually in the controls and how u set them up. I am using the thrustmaster warthog controls and they are pretty good. I have not flown the huey in real life but i expect it is pretty close in flight characteristics. I suspect some of the interlink actions are a little over sensitive in dcs, but again that could well be a result of the controls. I have not managed to really get to grips with a decent cyclic beep-trim set-up yet as this is something we basically fly with most of the time, constantly beeping. For low work and hover/take-off/landing you would usually have the force-trim release button on the cyclic pushed in for the large movements. I havent managed to get this to work on the dcs huey yet, so am flying around with the force trim release on the console switched off. That seems to work ok. This morning i did a few circuits, take-offs and landings to an oil rig - and yes it is pretty damned good and realistic and i had no problems flying a few patterns. The hover and take-off characteristics are certainly pretty close and felt comfortable enough for me to use. It seems to be about right in stability for and old SASless helicopter. Landing back on the rig is fairly straightforward too and as long as you fly a normal stabilzed type approach, it works as it should. I really was very impressed, and never though it would be that realistic.

Overall i see huge potential in this for good training for helicopter pilots as an addition to the training we already do. It cannot yet really replace the level 4 FTD for licence checking, but as a cheap way to get some really good rehearsal and more mission related training i find it extremely interesting and very much look forward to exploring all the possibilities - of which I am convinced there are many.

My normal day-job these days is flying HEMS in day/night/NVG/IFR environment and I can see a lot of use in VR sims for training scenarios for this. Already from what little i have seen, the modelling and characteristics is more than sufficient. I just wish now they could get some form of H145 variant in here :thumbup:

Thankyou!:thumbup:

If they added an LUH-72 Lakota in the game would you only be able to fly it on the Nevada map because it’s non deployable....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If they added an LUH-72 Lakota in the game would you only be able to fly it on the Nevada map because it’s non deployable....

Hahaha..the beauty of simulation - it can do what the real version cant yet :lol: