[REPORTED]body texture too shiny

berk.kp

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was wondering if there had been a post made here yet. ED, check out this!! My shiny Huey! Can we fix this yet please????

Before - a nice flat grey like a USAF Pavehawk:

Ya5uDNA.png

After - Same skin, but looks like a dman P-51. Note the tail of a crashed Huey for comparison, it somehow goes back to the correct color once damaged??

6wIeAg8.png

5PFui0C.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, that works for me, thanks! Shiny skins are shiny and flat skins flat again...

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

• 4 weeks later...

This needs to be acknowledged as a legitimate problem, any comment from ED is welcome.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

My shiny skins are shiny, not flat

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance

What it does do, however, is to negate the fix for window reflections that was introduced a while back (and which, IIRC, led to the shiny skins).

So instead of deleting the ab-212.lods.json I now had a look at it and deleted everything in the file *not* referring to glass so now it looks like this:

{

"uh-1_glass_dm": {

"reflMult": 0.14000000059604644775,

"reflAdd": 0.085000000894069671631,

"specMult": -0.20000000298023223877,

"specAdd": 0.23999999463558197021,

"specSelect": 1,

"albedoLevel": 0.11100000143051147461,

"albedoContrast": 1.0

},

"uh-1_glass": {

"reflMult": 0.75,

"reflAdd": 0.013000000268220901489,

"specMult": -0.16400000452995300293,

"specAdd": 0.19599999487400054932,

"albedoLevel": 0.16699999570846557617,

"albedoContrast": 0.75

},

"uh1_colorglass": {

"reflMult": 1.0,

"reflAdd": 0.0,

"specMult": -1.2999999523162841797,

"specAdd": 1.0,

"albedoLevel": 0.0,

},

"uh-1_glass_dam": {

"reflMult": 1.0,

"reflAdd": 0.0,

"specMult": -1.2999999523162841797,

"specAdd": 1.0,

"albedoLevel": 0.0,

}

}

The glass reflections are now back again and the skins still flat (or shiny where applicable). Then I just use OvGME and am set.

Copy/paste should work as I didn't alter any values so those are original anyway (just cut away unnecessary baggage...).

Not sure what you mean by mod structure; just gave it the same folders as in the original (Bazar\World\Shapes\)

There is a problem with the tail of the Huey appearing matte and body appearing shiny (depending on the spec you have for the skin)

If you wanted an aluminium look the body is fine but the tail looks dull.

This only happens if NO weapons mounts are loaded.

I finally got to look through the .json file and may have solved that problem.

Open ab-212.lods.json (the original file - some people may have already modified it or deleted it)

In civ_uh1_tail_dam

Change the specAdd value to the red highlighted value below.

(the original value is 1.0)

"civ_uh1_tail_dam": {

"reflMult": 0.5,

"reflAdd": 0.64999997615814208984,

"specMult": -0.5,

"specAdd": 0.54000002145767211914,

"specSelect": 0,

"albedoLevel": 0.20000000298023223877,

"albedoContrast": 0.94999998807907104492

As far as i can tell it works with all weapons etc.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to fix the pilots vests/uniforms.

Look here for other thread.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=231824

Edited by Helles Belle

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Thank you!

I copied that back into my modified fille.

Does anyone know what value causes what? I now modified the glass reflectivity to make it more shiny (as with the original values it looks like it has an antireflective coating) and though that worked OK it's pretty much a shot in the dark...

There is a problem with the tail of the Huey appearing matte and body appearing shiny (depending on the spec you have for the skin)

If you wanted an aluminium look the body is fine but the tail looks dull.

This only happens if NO weapons mounts are loaded.

As far as i can tell it works with all weapons etc.

Unfortunately, for me this now leads to the tail being too shiny on the skins, especially the flat ones, so I reverted back again...

Unfortunately, for me this now leads to the tail being too shiny on the skins, especially the flat ones, so I reverted back again...

Bugger, thanks ams999,

I’ll have another look at it and see if I can track it down. :thumbup:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ams999,

are you using the default spec files or are there custom ones in the skin folder?

image.jpeg

Default spec for the flat/matte skins and VIP/AirAm, custom specs for the ones I want shiny.

However, as stated before, I just delete most of the ab-212.lods.json as I find most values utterly useless and they introduce bugs.

Edited by ams999
fixed broken link

THANK YOU FOR THIS FIX! I can't tell you how frustrated I was after taking a few months off from DCS only to come back and see not only had they changed the LUA structure (minor but annoying and time consuming to fix) but for some reason my US ARMY Helo Drab schemes were nowhere near drab.

I am sure this has something to do with them working with the new engine and fiddling here and there but man the Huey skins went from drab to looking like some kind of plastic, gel, hideous material that isn't seen in the real world.

I'm thankful we have members on here that don't mind digging through the code to find fixes and share them with the community. It might seem like small potatoes but if the aircraft textures are off it really can ruin things.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

• 7 months later...

Sometimes I have the feeling DCS has a lot of 'solvable-in-5-minutes'-problems but someone has to get around to actually fixing them.

I'm just glad that this specific one can be 'user-fixed' and that berk.kp found the file responsible all those months ago...

• 2 months later...