Controls all gone haywire!!!!

subseauk

Hi guys, as a fairly new user to DCS I am still slowly learning how to handle the aircraft both fixed and flingwing.

I was making slow but steady progress until yesterday when I downloaded the Spitfire and coincidentally since then my aircraft seem to loose control almost immediately. It seems mainly affecting yaw or rudder inputs. For instance when I input left rudder on the Spitfire I cannot turn the opposite way without stopping first and then the same happens in the new direction.

I have checked all the bindings to make sure that nothing is conflicting and it seems ok as does the fine tune in axis settings. it also seems as if all movement suddenly goes into overdrive and speeds up. Really weird. Can anyone give me some input here?

I am just about to carry out a repair on the DCS and also try the Beta version to see if the same thing is occurring. I have the latest DCS standard version and I am using a TM Warthog HOTAS .

Cheers

K

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII HERO (wifi) motherboard ( latest bios etc )

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Corsair Domiinator Platinum 32 GB (4x8Gb ) 3600MHz RAM

EVGA Nvidia GTX 1080Ti 11Mb graphics card

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVME M.2( Boot up and main program storage )

Fractal S36 AIO CPU Cooler

Oculus Quest + LINK system

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH Rudder Pro

Aircraft: Gazelle, Huey, AV-8B, A10C, Spitfire

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

Load the spitfire on the ground with the engine off. Do a flight control check. By looking at the flight controls (or/and the control indicator RCTRL+ENTER) do all surfaces move in the correct direction, smoothly, and to full deflection? Do all other controls remain neutral unless you command an input with your hardware?

DCS has a lovely little habit of assigning the same controls to multiple hardware devices... as if they're all identical joysticks.

Load the spitfire on the ground with the engine off. Do a flight control check. By looking at the flight controls (or/and the control indicator RCTRL+ENTER) do all surfaces move in the correct direction, smoothly, and to full deflection? Do all other controls remain neutral unless you command an input with your hardware?

DCS has a lovely little habit of assigning the same controls to multiple hardware devices... as if they're all identical joysticks.

One of the first things I normally check is a visual on the flight control surfaces and movement of same in relation to control inputs and from memory I believe they all looked normal but I will definately check them again thanks.

Doesn't address why everything seems to speed up as well though! we are talking a full 360 rotation on Helo in about 1-2 secs!!!

Cheers

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Scenery etc: Super carrier, Syria, Persian Gulf, A10C Trng Qual, Worlds apart Spring 2025,

OK. So I checked all the control surfaces from the external view and they all work as expected with no cross over interference. But when I start to throttle up I can not stop the Spitfire from going out of control, it either rotates one way or the other despite putting the opposite control / rudder movement in.

Thankfully the Helicopters seem to be behaving themselves again but I cannot seem to be able to get the Spitfire to co-operate.

Any thoughts guys?

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

I've been having a problem in the spitfire where it's not loading my controller mapping if I start a mission without first going into control settings on the main menu. Doesn't happen every time but happens enough that it's a problem.

So what ends up happening is it only loads the default mapping, which has axes bound to multiple input devices and tends to just make a mess of trying to control it.

Have you tried the TF-51?

I only ask because the Spit is notoriously hard to taxi and take off... Once you have a good handle on the warbirds it's not bad but they're definitely a different animal relative to the others :).

Basically...

If the controls aren't double mapped, meaning multiple controller axes mapped to the same function, and your controls appear to move smoothly before you apply throttle...

I'd say it's pilot error. Please don't take offense to that :)...

So... Triple check your control mapping. Make sure all boxes in the "Axis Tune" section are cleared, then map your axes to the correct controls.

Check your controls in cockpit. Hit F2, Swipe all controls and make sure they're doing what you ask (any inverted???). Any "jittery" behavior is either a sign of a failing controller or double mapped axes.

Check the mission. Is there wind? That can cause quite a bit of trouble as well.

Also...

Maybe try what FoxTwo suggested :). It's been a while since I messed around with the spit... and bugs do exist :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Another suggestion...

Do you have a way to map right and left wheel brake or both wheel brakes?

Map all three temporarily to a hat switch...

Hold the one for "both wheel brakes" and then throttle up a bit like you would at the end of the runway before takeoff...

Release the brake and use the rudder to try to maintain direction until maybe 50MPH... see whether it does the same thing.

Also... I don't recall...

Does the Spit have a tail wheel lock? If so... Use it :).

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Thanks guys

No interfering mapping, all controls and surfaces. working as they should. I have not messed with braking as I cannot even taxi from a cold start in a straight line!

I had. heard the Spitfire was a bit finicky but this is ridiculous I have tried throttling up very very slowly and very quickly with all in between to no avail.

Once the aircraft starts to roll I have even backed off to zero and still don't have any control over the direction!!!!

Might have to raise it as a ticket with ED!!!!

Cheers for the input guys

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

So... What's the wind in the mission like?

Does the Spit have a tail wheel lock? I don't recall.

Please mess with braking. Please set it up as I suggested and then see if it helps.

I can't recall if airflow from the prop over the tail is modeled... It may not be. I know airflow over the tail at speed is modeled... but I'm not sure about prop wash. In any case... The WWII birds are notoriously difficult to get a handle on... but also very rewarding to fight with :).

Don't give up ;).

Does anyone know how to map the left/right brakes onto TM Warthog HOTAS as I don't seem to be able to do this!!!

cheers

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

Does anyone know how to map the left/right brakes onto TM Warthog HOTAS as I don't seem to be able to do this!!!

cheers

You can't. Spit, like all British warbirds, did not have separate left&right toe brakes. There was only a single paddle lever on control column for activating the brake system, while rudder pedals controlled left/rights braking force distribution.

Also, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your setup, you just have to realize that you have to use brakes all the time to taxi the Spit in DCS even in the straight line.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You can't. Spit, like all British warbirds, did not have separate left&right toe brakes. There was only a single paddle lever on control column for activating the brake system, while rudder pedals controlled left/rights braking force distribution.

Also, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your setup, you just have to realize that you have to use brakes all the time to taxi the Spit in DCS even in the straight line.

So Art, how do you activate the brake system and does the rudder pedal input automatically control brake force or is there something else you need to map?

Sorry if I sound a bit dense but I actually made the mistake of coming back from fast jets to WW2 aircraft to learn DCS as the fast jets seem hellish complex for a beginner. Guess that may have been a mistake!!!

cheers for the input:thumbup:

Ryzen 9 3900x CPU

In the cockpit, there is a white lever on the back of the stick. That is the brake lever. It is mapped to "W" by default. You can also activate it with the mouse wheel, and there is an option in the controls setup to map it to an analog axis.

The Spit is a beautiful aircraft to fly, but like most of the Warbirds it is ungodly awful on the ground. One of those things that they made too "real" in my opinion

So Art, how do you activate the brake system and does the rudder pedal input automatically control brake force or is there something else you need to map?

Sorry if I sound a bit dense but I actually made the mistake of coming back from fast jets to WW2 aircraft to learn DCS as the fast jets seem hellish complex for a beginner. Guess that may have been a mistake!!!

cheers for the input:thumbup:

You only map the paddle lever to brake function. In real plane the lever was an "analog" device, pilot could smoothly modulate the braking pressure by pressing the lever as needed while choosing left/right brake by pushing the rudder accordingly.

Paddle switch on your Warthog stick is digital, but it can kind of work the similar way - push the rudder and tap the switch for shorter or longer moment to control braking force. Taxiing the Spit is relatively easy then - just a lot of rudder dancing and brake tapping.

That being said, you chose the hardest ED taildragger module to learn - it's the only one which doesn't feature a tailwheel lock and the only one with this British/Russian standard braking system.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Oh yeah... the brake lever :). Now I remember :).

Yeah I mapped it to one of the knob/rotary axes on my throttle. On start I would rotate that knob until I had about the brake force I want, then use the rudder to turn :). Now I remember :).