UH-1 Upgrade : Open Letter to BELSIMTEK

Hueyman

Also ...an announcement about the implemention of the AH-1 Cobra would make me drop off my chair LOLLL ... but this is another subject! I wish Belsimtek would take this challenge since they got it SO right with the Huey.

Damn you to remind about Cobra development being frozen.... I take it gladly over apache for sooner time.

But getting Huey polished is IMHO priority after Mi-24P....

Just think about it. Flying a missions where one has Mi-24's protecting Mi-8's on one side, and on another a Hueys flying with AH-1's protecting them....

But first it would be so nice to be able co-fly these utility helicopters, transport troops properly and fight with them, and then get rest in larger scale.

It is so fun to fly in Huey and let the MG's sing at the ground targets.... Would be so wonderful to have a proper infantry modeling/simulation as it would really make nice flying experience when you are not against a AAA....

Huey is sucha blast to fly, that it really deserves to be polished to right looks and all....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

They even have frozen ka50 paid update due to workload they have. I guess a uh1 or mi8 update is just a dream

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

i just like to ask for :

1) NS430 support for the UH-1H

2) proper VR support for the doorgunner including decouple view from doorgun (no more gun face in VR), mappable axis commands for doorgun traverse left/right, up/down.. and of course multiplayer slots for the door gunner

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

Hmmmm, we need a U/MH-60 real bad - range, speed, RWR, CMWS.

And if it's an MH version then we get AGM114, Rocets, more guns, HAAR etc.

F-15E | AH-64 | F/A-18C | F-14B | A-10C | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV2 | Ka-50 | SA342 | Super Carrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Syria |

Intel Core i7 11700K - 32GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 - MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12GB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD 1TB

I would just love to see the troops sitting the back of the Huey when I pick them up.

I was watching a video the other day and it took me a good 20 seconds to realise that it wasn't real-life footage. Turns out it was from X-Plane with SAR mods. It had medics being winched down to a casualty and then being winched back up with the casualty and all of them then visible in the back of the helo. I haven't played X-Plane but I was impressed.

I would love to see that functionality in DCS.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 3.3GHz, RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1600MHz DDR3, GFX: EVGA GTX 1080, OS: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, Joy: TM Warthog, Peds: CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR3, VR: Vive

I would just love to see the troops sitting the back of the Huey when I pick them up.

I was watching a video the other day and it took me a good 20 seconds to realise that it wasn't real-life footage. Turns out it was from X-Plane with SAR mods. It had medics being winched down to a casualty and then being winched back up with the casualty and all of them then visible in the back of the helo. I haven't played X-Plane but I was impressed.

SAR missions are one of the most needed tasks for helicopters in DCS. We need not just troop transport or cargo transport, but actually go and save pilots, and as well capture pilots.

It is one of the small details that are opening doors for large scale mission possibilities and gameplay mechanics.

Example for dynamic campaign a downed pilot needs to be rescued for points, and capturing enemy pilot is more points. These can be used to generate intelligence in dynamic campaign like major FOB locations or how many aircrafts in the given area/place.

It would be important for moral to pilots know that if they get downed, they will be searched and rescued ASAP.

This means a lot of things. Good example was latest Fighter Pilots Podcast episode 092 of A-1 Skyrider about securing SAR mission area for helicopters to get there etc.

This as well requires we have a function in game that pilot is required to be brought back to base alive so one can log in the intelligence gathered on flight, so after landing the player gets a change to input intelligence information on map in areas where they have flown, like placing a unit symbols on the map as they do remember them. So player own visual memory is important.

But if the player gets a aircraft intact down, the computer memory can be used for target points recording etc.

And this opens up a new functions to game, a reconnaissance pods. Film and ELINT pods data is then possible be recovered and it gives photos (image files) and electronic data that is with some delay moved strategic map in game for generating new missions.

If pilot is rescued, they will generate intelligence to enemy in time and they get these kind troop location informations automatically. So one really wants to avoid pilots from being captured. And players should do everything avoid getting shot down or ejecting above enemy controlled area as it makes challenge to rescue pilots.

How much does a UH-1H really need updating than texture lift up and some 3D model changes (as longer tail boom and lower skiis) as well implement some missing features?

A 3D modeled SAR personnel, picked up pilot (would be amazing to see a proper pilot model inside based what aircraft pilot was flying so Harrier pilot different than Mirage pilot etc) and various troops right there.

I would accept a 3D soldier running at helicopter and then teleport inside when at arm length, same thing that they teleport next to door when unmounting and sprint away, take cover positions etc for regrouping.

So I see more updating the mechanics how to use Huey than any new variants, as it is already cool as what helicopter to fly.

If ED is going to make a new variant of Huey or so, I don't mind but current variant is what I like to see in the future as well, with a facelifts and newer features as DCS received them (SAR, Recon, Transport).

Up coming Mi-24P will have a new kind AI as gunner, could it be added to Huey co-pilot so AI would be using the miniguns more effectively? Door gunners as well get proper spotting and all.... And I would love to see infantry seeing far more love as it is the enemy huey needs to avoid and go against, not vehicles.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

That would be pretty awesome!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Makes me think i should get xplane and try the helos

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • ED Team
09.10.2020 в 02:43, Gunnar81 сказал:

With the proposed upgrades in this thread could I also suggest we just upgrade the whole thing to the UH-1N? I think having the Huey Twin would be just about the best thing going in DCS!

UH-1N is a completely different helicopter (UH-1N versus UH-1H). Work on 95..98% exactly as much as, for example, over UH-60. Those. this is a complete development cycle, not an easy (small) addition.
but maybe ... someday - we will even make such a helicopter))

8 часов назад, CanopyJettison сказал:

What is the status of the tail length? Is it still inaccurate?

Any updates from ED to this topic?

please show on the diagram what we have done wrong, I will be grateful

On 26/9/2020 at 17:32, Fri13 said:

Las misiones SAR son una de las tareas más necesarias para los helicópteros en DCS. No solo necesitamos el transporte de tropas o de carga, sino también ir y salvar a los pilotos, y también capturar a los pilotos.

Es uno de los pequeños detalles que están abriendo puertas a posibilidades de misiones y mecánicas de juego a gran escala.

Ejemplo de campaña dinámica, un piloto derribado necesita ser rescatado por puntos, y capturar al piloto enemigo es más puntos. Estos se pueden utilizar para generar inteligencia en campañas dinámicas como las principales ubicaciones de FOB o cuántas aeronaves en el área / lugar dado.

Sería importante para la moral que los pilotos sepan que si son derribados, serán registrados y rescatados lo antes posible.

Esto significa muchas cosas. Un buen ejemplo fue el último episodio 092 de Fighter Pilots Podcast de A-1 Skyrider sobre cómo asegurar el área de la misión SAR para que los helicópteros lleguen allí, etc.

Esto también requiere que tengamos una función en el juego en la que se requiere que el piloto regrese vivo a la base para que uno pueda iniciar sesión en la inteligencia recopilada en vuelo, por lo que después de aterrizar, el jugador obtiene un cambio para ingresar información de inteligencia en el mapa en las áreas donde han volado, como colocar los símbolos de una unidad en el mapa a medida que los recuerdan. Por eso la memoria visual del jugador es importante.

Pero si el jugador obtiene un avión intacto, la memoria de la computadora se puede usar para registrar puntos de destino, etc.

Y esto abre nuevas funciones al juego, unas cápsulas de reconocimiento. Los datos de las cápsulas de películas y ELINT se pueden recuperar y brindan fotos (archivos de imagen) y datos electrónicos que se mueven con cierta demora en el mapa estratégico en el juego para generar nuevas misiones.

Si el piloto es rescatado, generarán inteligencia al enemigo a tiempo y obtendrán este tipo de información sobre la ubicación de las tropas automáticamente. Así que uno realmente quiere evitar que los pilotos sean capturados. Y los jugadores deben hacer todo lo posible para evitar ser derribados o expulsados por encima del área controlada por el enemigo, ya que es un desafío para los pilotos de rescate.

¿Cuánto necesita realmente una actualización un UH-1H que el levantamiento de textura y algunos cambios en el modelo 3D (como un brazo de cola más largo y esquís más bajos) e implementar algunas características que faltan?

Un personal SAR modelado en 3D, un piloto recogido (sería increíble ver un modelo de piloto adecuado en el interior basado en el piloto de la aeronave que volaba, por lo que el piloto de Harrier es diferente al piloto de Mirage, etc.) y varias tropas allí mismo.

Aceptaría a un soldado 3D corriendo en helicóptero y luego teletransportarme adentro cuando está a la altura del brazo, lo mismo que se teletransportan al lado de la puerta cuando se desmontan y se alejan corriendo, toman posiciones de cobertura, etc. para reagruparse.

Entonces veo más actualizaciones de la mecánica de cómo usar Huey que cualquier nueva variante, ya que es genial qué helicóptero volar.

Si ED va a hacer una nueva variante de Huey o algo así, no me importa, pero la variante actual es lo que también me gustaría ver en el futuro, con un lavado de cara y características más nuevas a medida que DCS las recibió (SAR, Recon, Transport ).

El próximo Mi-24P tendrá un nuevo tipo de IA como artillero, ¿podría agregarse al copiloto de Huey para que la IA use las miniguns de manera más efectiva? Los artilleros de las puertas también obtienen una localización adecuada y todo ... Y me encantaría ver a la infantería viendo mucho más amor, ya que es el enemigo que Huey necesita evitar y contra él, no vehículos.

That is build a FPS and aditional funtionality SAR, inteligence and more in the core, outside a module as UH-1 or other.

3 hours ago, PilotMi8 said:

UH-1N is a completely different helicopter (UH-1N versus UH-1H). Work on 95..98% exactly as much as, for example, over UH-60. Those. this is a complete development cycle, not an easy (small) addition.

please look at the first post of this topic.

also please consider updating interior textures. especially back cabin walls and ceiling

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

• ED Team
3 часа назад, ebabil сказал:

please look at the first post of this topic.

also please consider updating interior textures. especially back cabin walls and ceiling

THANX!)) we will fix it little by little, because the modelers are busy with something more urgent, but we wrote all down!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 12/18/2020 at 6:47 PM, PilotMi8 said:

Understood - not an easy module - but maybe oneday we will have such a model. Happy to pay for it! (If it's a new model)... Let me know where to throw the money! 🙂 

But being serious - The Huey has been the most fun of all helicopters for me to fly todate - and a 1N would just be super! Thanks so much for considering!

On 12/18/2020 at 8:47 AM, PilotMi8 said:

Well if I had to choose, I would much prefer the Blackhawk over a new variant of the Huey. I'm probably not alone in this too 🙂

• Like 5

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 12/18/2020 at 12:47 AM, PilotMi8 said:

Thanks for replying! Looking forward to 'someday' 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Hello PilotMi8,

One year after the creation of this thread, I see it still has had some love in terms of features ( multicrew ... ), hope an overhaul is also planned but am sure you are busy with tons of stuff at once !

Good luck for these happy new year and happy new year for all of you !

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2020 at 10:47 PM, Hueyman said:

Flight dynamics :

Of course I think I don’t take too much risks by affirming we are all waiting for the new engine modelling. Better performance regarding EGT temps in relation to Torque and N1 is a must for any realistic helicopter simulation. Also, when will we have a realistic start up procedure with Idle Release detent and properly simulated hot start ?

The rotor dynamics itself is a bit strange. The way you physically modelled the stabilizer bar is a bit like an « auto return to neutral » big actuator that gives the whole ship very squirelly moves to bring it back to a given attitude, even in cruise around the cyclic equilibrium position. The real deal is very stable and precise ( like the Bell 47 and 206 but much heavier and with more inertia ), and doesn’t have this tendency to yo-yo around center so much , it just hold the cyclic position with surprising stability. Adding this kind of extreme unstability doesn’t necessiraly add realism.

On startup/shutdown, the real rotor really has plenty of inertia. It takes a while to takes its RPM at initial movements when the gas generator starts to blow thru the powerturbine, veeeery slowly and heavy .. Currently it looks very abrupt at the very beginning like if you clutch a Bell 47. Same at shutdown, without rotorbrake ( which is not present, correct ), it should sool down up to some minutes until complete stop while it's actually quite fast now.

That’s it guys, I took a bit of time to make this big request to improve your already astonishing product and get it closer to perfection. I really hope you will read all of this and eventually give your Huey some love.

Yours faithfully,

Hueyman

@Hueyman well said and thought out especially the hightlighted area above.  You nailed it!  If you want to fly a squirrel try a Eurocopter AS350 Ecureuil, it's called that for a reason. Great helo just needs some updating and tweaking.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 5:26 AM, Lurker said:

Well if I had to choose, I would much prefer the Blackhawk over a new variant of the Huey. I'm probably not alone in this too 🙂

depends which version. UH60M? Sure wouldnt think twice. Any day of the week over  Uh1N, . However IF its only a Uh60A/UH60L , id still be tempted to take a UH1N over that, purely because the Uh1N has superior protection suite, thus making it more survivable in a modern scenarios, even though it cant haul as many troops or have anywhere as much lifting capacity as any Uh60 variant. 

a 2000s UH1N has AN/AAR47 v2 laser and Missile warning system, AN/APR39 v2A RWR, and ALE47 countermeasure suite. As a cherry on top you can also get a optional addon on FLIR mount for nighttime navigation.  You dont get a comparable ( or rather superior) protective suite until the Uh60M, which mind you also has a glass cockpit as well.

But in contrast to the UH60M the UH1Y is now a thing. Which again UH60 is obviously superior for lifting and troop capacity, although UH1Y does have smaller size, which depending on preference is something to consider.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Of course subject to tastes etc but why making a whole new model ( cause it is ) to make a UH-1N or Y ? The Huey I assume we all fell in love initially are model 204/205 ( UH-1B,C EFGH .. ).

If you want something more modern, we’d rather go the Blackhawk/Seahawk route cause the Huey, being HU-1A or latest Bell 212/UH-1N are just better engines and avionics upgrades ( basically ) over the same old airframe, with more or less same modest performance of the good old but draggy two bladed teetering rotor.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)