HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Reading through the responses to the OP there is some pain I need to pay for the choices I made. Setting up looks like a bitch!

Gotta get the glasses sorted fast by the sounds of things.

Setup is stupid easy actually. Way easier than a Rift CV1 IMO.

Optimizing any headset to work well with DCS is a whole other thing.

Not sure on glasses as I don't wear em.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Reverb has the widest FOV in the market and is perfect for seated SIMs...too bad they don't sell a headset only version without controllers and for a much lower price. I personally am waiting for next gen VR to reveal even more improvements over original RIFT platform.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Reverb has the widest FOV in the market and is perfect for seated SIMs...too bad they don't sell a headset only version without controllers and for a much lower price. I personally am waiting for next gen VR to reveal even more improvements over original RIFT platform.

You are wrong :)

The Reverb FOV is ~114 degrees so very comparable the original rift. Pimax, Index, and of course Xtal and Varjo have better or vastly better FOV's. :) But they usually have downsides as well.

Where the Reverb excels is (center) resolution at the price point ($600), where nothing else is even close. The Xtal is either equal or a bit better or bit worse resolution wise depending who you ask at 6k. and the Varjo Bionic is supposed to be near retinal level in the center vision but no one flying DCS actually has one, and they cost 7k+.

Honestly the WMR controllers are garbage but at the same time I can't imagine they add more than 50 bucks to cost of the Reverb. And really I'm not sure what your expectations price wise are for VR. I'm happy to shell out up about 1.5k for what I would consider a "great" headset. With the caveat that I expect 2-3 years use out of it at most. IMO the price/performance notch on the Reverb is about right, its not perfect but it does one of the 2 most important things very well.

Right now in VR, you have 2 choices, resolution OR FOV. Unless you have very deep pockets.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Adding to what Harlikwin said, I believe the Vavle index is supposedly slightly wider field of vision. It also probably has less problems associated with tracking. The Pimax 5k is definitely wider FOV at around 150 degrees useable (diagonal I believe)

Having said that, none of those displays hold a candle to the clarity of the Reverb. When you look at it’s price point it’s very good value.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

Adding to what Harlikwin said, I believe the Vavle index is supposedly slightly wider field of vision. It also probably has less problems associated with tracking. The Pimax 5k is definitely wider FOV at around 150 degrees useable (diagonal I believe)

Having said that, none of those displays hold a candle to the clarity of the Reverb. When you look at it’s price point it’s very good value.

No real tracking problems with the HP that I've encountered. The Index does have wider FOV and better lens design though. They pooched it on the lower res panels though. I'm not gonna say too much about pimax, but they have been thoroughly underwhelming IMO their Hype/performance ratio is quite high (if you can do math, that's a bad thing BTW).

Honestly I wish HP had spent more time.moneyon the cable issue (or less really, its not like every other VR HMD maker didn't figure that one out), and then the optics issue and cost like 2x what it did. Imagine what it could be like with adjustable IPD/ and better lens systems, an optical train like the Index (good clarity for its whole field of view), and better color definition panels?

The word I would use is near perfect. (perfect would mean better FOV, which really it likely couldn't do at a reasonable price point)…

Why HP why?

Edited by Harlikwin

No real tracking problems with the HP that I've encountered. The Index does have wider FOV and better lens design though. They pooched it on the lower res panels though. I'm not gonna say too much about pimax, but they have been thoroughly underwhelming IMO their Hype/performance ratio is quite high (if you can do math, that's a bad thing BTW).

Honestly I wish HP had spent more time.moneyon the cable issue (or less really, its not like every other VR HMD maker didn't figure that one out), and then the optics issue and cost like 2x what it did. Imagine what it could be like with adjustable IPD/ and better lens systems, an optical train like the Index (good clarity for its whole field of view), and better color definition panels?

The word I would use is near perfect. (perfect would mean better FOV, which really it likely couldn't do at a reasonable price point)…

Why HP why?

I would agree with what Harlikwin has said there, except for the tracking issue which definitely is a problem for me. I have to have the main ceiling lights on in the room during the evening to get full 6 DOF. Not ideal.

Earlier this year, I had one of the first Reverbs available as I had it on pre-order from HP.

On receipt, I had a lot of issues including black screen, sound cutting out of left ear piece, WMR, etc. I also wasn't happy with the colour depth, comfort, etc. compared to my Vive Pro, so I sent it back to HP.

After that, I bought a Valve Index, and I have been (and still am) very happy with that HMD. It has better everything than the Reverb EXCEPT for native resolution.

However, I decided to buy another Reverb this week and have been playing around with it for the last few days, and I really am on the fence as to which I prefer, the Index or the Reverb.

It is nice to have that extra cockpit clarity in the Reverb, but a high SS Index is pretty good as well.

It would be so nice if HP had gone that bit further and had a wider FOV, hardware IPD, larger sweet spot, better build quality/comfort, but... if they had, it wouldn't a a £520 headset, so, as ever, it's a compromise.

So, I guess I'll play around comparing the 2 for another few days, and then decide which to keep!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

.. I have to have the main ceiling lights on in the room during the evening to get full 6 DOF. Not ideal. ..

I often at startup lose Forward_Backward-axis with HP Reverb especially when held still for a while.

I used to restart Reverb accompanied with a lot of harsh words,

but I found I need to rotate/left right MORE than 180° and Forward_Backward-axis kicks back in. This can even happen when one entered the cockpit, don't just look left/right, look left back / right back and it will reset back in - in my case -.

At night it helps if I have 1 bureau lamp on full on my right, for contrast and orientation I presume.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

It would be so nice if HP had gone that bit further and had a wider FOV, hardware IPD, larger sweet spot, better build quality/comfort, but... if they had, it wouldn't a a £520 headset, so, as ever, it's a compromise.

Well the whole FOV vs resolution (PPD) is something they couldn't have both of. For any resolution screen a wider FOV means a lower PPD. Thats why I was really surprised at Valve's choice for the index, wide FOV and pushing the same amount of pixels as old gen headsets, more subpixels for RGB vs pentile tho to help offset that.

I don't find comfort to be an issue at all, so thats a face shape thing perhaps.

On IPD and sweet spot. I actually think there aren't 2 separate screens in there (I could be wrong), but rather one big ass 2160x4320 screen rendering 2 different images (the old samsung phone VR app did the same thing). So, perhaps thats why there is only software IPD adjustment. I was actually looking at the Acer Ojo-concept-D yesterday and the last bits of news indicated it also only had software adjustable IPD, presumably using the same displays as HP. But it seems to have dropped off the map entirely.

I agree about the sweet spot, but there is only so much you can do with fresnel lenses. I like to think a Reverb with an optical train like the index, even if its 114deg FOV would be great since as I understand it the FOV is clear edge to edge.

Edited by Harlikwin

I would agree with what Harlikwin has said there, except for the tracking issue which definitely is a problem for me. I have to have the main ceiling lights on in the room during the evening to get full 6 DOF. Not ideal.

I have always run mine in a basement room with no external light coming in, so I just have some overhead fluorescent lights on all the time, day or night. Maybe there are issues with tracking if change the overall light level?

I don't think I could go two days without my VR.

Least I have Quest with Link as a backup to my Rift S now just in case.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I agree about the sweet spot, but there is only so much you can do with fresnel lenses. I like to think a Reverb with an optical train like the index, even if its 114deg FOV would be great since as I understand it the FOV is clear edge to edge.

Yep,with the Index you can just move your eyes around the screen and it's still in focus, unlike the Reverb where head movement is required.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I don't think I could go two days without my VR.

Least I have Quest with Link as a backup to my Rift S now just in case.

To say that I'm currently enraged with HP CS would be a gross understatement.

I've got the CV1 as a backup but I don't want to use it for 2 more months (we need to have an enraged smiley). It took about 5 minutes on a flat screen to convince me that VR, even with bad res was still the way to go for DCS.

OMG

So I just got my HP Reverb Pro (I've been away on business) that I ordered on Black Friday... the experience uplift is amazing in terms of clarity... over my old Oddessy Pro, the HMD is much more comfortable to wear.

And I haven't even got my new VR Lens' yet and the cockpit clarity is frankly awe inspiring, I seem to get a stead 45 FPS over Crimea.

One thing that almost slipped by me was the clip to protect the join between the HMD and USB/DP cable it looks like a spare battery cover, it substantially increases the joint strength!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hi guys, I also got the Reverb during the black friday sale. Since I'm now trying to set it up and failing miserably, I have a noob question which I think relates to SteamVR.

Currently my seating position in-game (i.e. also within the menu) is way too high. I tried using the quick calibrate option from SteamVR settings, but to get a "reasonable" (but still a bit high) position, I need to hold my headset to the ceiling of my room (which is very small). Is there a way how I can fix that? I know that once I start flying I can just reset the position with Num5 but navigating the main menu is hard at present.

Thanks for the help.

i9-9900K, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, RTX2080TI, Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB

The floor level didn't seem to do anything related to SteamVR. However I did find that if I pressed "Reset Seated Position" while wearing the headset the view was reset. Annoyingly, it didn't seem to remember that position after I turning SteamVR off. I am still looking for a permanent solution, but this will do for now.

There is a "Seated setup" in WMR, that's what I've used with no issues.

There is a "Seated setup" in WMR, that's what I've used with no issues.

Yep, that’s ok if you only play DCS in VR, but no good if you enjoy playing other VR games.

Decided to return mine and wait for next gen. Can't make it track head position, only 3DOF, towards the rim of the FOV it still gets fuzzy (though better than other sets I tried, namely Rift CV1 and S). I can't just have a quick look at anything like an MFD without turning my head there still, just turning my eyes I'm in the fuzzy bit, no matter how I adjust the set around my head and tinker with IPD.

Even worse when you try something left or right, say tune TACAN in the Tomcat. I simply can't read the dial no matter how much I move my head, and VR zoom means I have to bend my neck even more where a real pilot can use his eyes.

And even all that aside today's sets FOV leaves to be desired, and when talking 170° like the Pimax we need GPUs able to handle it, or an engine that supports SLI/CF.

So yay VR but I'll wait a bit.

Currently my seating position in-game (i.e. also within the menu) is way too high. I tried using the quick calibrate option from SteamVR settings, but to get a "reasonable" (but still a bit high) position, I need to hold my headset to the ceiling of my room (which is very small). Is there a way how I can fix that? I know that once I start flying I can just reset the position with Num5 but navigating the main menu is hard at present.

Thanks for the help.

In the DCS controls setup, where you can select the control sets for the different planes, select "UI Layer" and bind a keyboard shortcut or joystick button to the "Recenter VR Headset" feature (see this post with a video of what I mean). Then each time when ready in DCS after strapping on your headset, you press this keyboard shortcut to get the head position in the VR space right.

I have the same issue when I start DCS with my headset lying on the seat in my simpit before I get ready.

In the DCS controls setup, where you can select the control sets for the different planes, select "UI Layer" and bind a keyboard shortcut or joystick button to the "Recenter VR Headset" feature (see this post with a video of what I mean). Then each time when ready in DCS after strapping on your headset, you press this keyboard shortcut to get the head position in the VR space right.

I have the same issue when I start DCS with my headset lying on the seat in my simpit before I get ready.

Yes indeed.... two very critical buttons in this UI Layer!

Noted.

The head set is very comfortable and seems to fit my glasses very nicely. Not as light as I was expecting but minimal headset inertia as I swung my skull around quickly.

Do I want reading or normal viewing glasses on when I slip into VR?

What is the Tracking like on the HP? Is all 6DOF movements accurate?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Do I want reading or normal viewing glasses on when I slip into VR?

Normal viewing. You can also order VR lenses that clip on the lenses inside the HMD. No need to wear glasses anymore then (inside VR).

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

https://vroptician.com/

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Normal viewing. You can also order VR lenses that clip on the lenses inside the HMD. No need to wear glasses anymore then (inside VR).

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

https://vroptician.com/

Sweet!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

How is Head tracking, I do not mind if it is not perfect as I am used to track IR with its amplified real head to virtual head movement.

Do any HP users fly the Kamov with its HMS targeting reticule?

Is it easier with VR?

Thank you, that is a life saver!