HP Reverb Or Rift S with 1080Ti, 4770k, 16GB RAM

Cavemanhead

I've been eyeing the Reverb for quite some time... Recently, I've been thinking the Rift S since I've "only" got a 1080 Ti... and I'm inexperienced with VR (I have the Samsung VR from 3 years ago - the one that uses a cell phone for the screen)...

I'm assuming the Rift S will already be a quantum leap and might actually be better matched for my system.

Long term, I plan to build a new system using next Gen Video cards beyond 2080Ti and near fastest CPU in ~9mos... At that point I'll update to a new Next Gen HMD (foveated rendering, etc...)

Thoughts on Reverb vs Rift S right now? Am I overly assuming my system is too slow for the Reverb?

With your rig I would recommend Rift S.

It is a great headset and even with my 9900k system I am quite pleased with it - can run DCS with some pretty high gfx settings.

Be aware the audio strap with the Rift S is not much good, it does have a headphone jack though. I use earbuds with mine and am quite pleased with the sound through them.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

dburne is correct, and you dont need to run pixel density with the rift s either if you do what is said in this post with nvidia inspector. You will never get the quality and performance level of rift s with a reverb. As with the reverb you will run such low graphical settings compared to rift s. This is all from my testing and experience.

Now if you have a 2080ti sure you might get ok experience with the reverb, but even then many have stated they have to slaughter settings to get enjoyable framerate and experience.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4118915&postcount=33

:thumbup:

To accuse dburne one of the most helpful and knowledgeable Vr folks of lying is pretty lame

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Really ... the Rift S does not run better than the Reverb, stop spread these lies. The Reverb does not need AA and Pixel Density changes to achieve a certain image quality, whereas the Rift S does need them, it's balancing itself out.

Excuse me, one thing I am not is a liar.

He asked for an "opinion", my "opinion" based on his system specs is the Rift S would be the better choice.

Note the key word here is opinion.

Have a nice day,

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

i have a 1080ti too and have had a rift s (still got it) and a reverb (sent it back.)

I used the same dcs settings with both head sets (except pd, 1.4 on rift s and 1 on reverb) and the performance was better with the S.

I flew over Dubai in the f18 in both and the Reverb flight was a ghosting mess when I looked left and right where as the S was pretty much smooth but still 40fps.

My experience is you can get the reverb to run as well as the rift s but after you have it won’t look much better than the rift s but will cost you £200 more.

The lack of screen door effect is very nice but I didn’t enjoy steams motion reprojection very much and it seemed to come on a lot. In the end I decided that in order to get it to run as smoothly as the S it was no longer a £600 improvement.

But of course that won’t be a decision you have to make, all I’m saying is in my experience the 1080ti is only just enough for the reverb but does more than enough for the rift S. And the rift S, though not perfect, will keep me happy till we get some proper 2nd gen hmds.

This is all just my opinion and experience. we all see things differently after all :)

Really ... the Rift S does not run better than the Reverb, stop spread these lies. The Reverb does not need AA and Pixel Density changes to achieve a certain image quality, whereas the Rift S does need them, it's balancing itself out.

Really, it does.

Perhaps on hefty machines they run comparably.

But I can run the Rift S at 1.7 PD with no complaints on my ancient wimpy 5-year old machine and 1080Ti. The Reverb (even with no PD and AA) was a no-go. FPS touched dropped below 45 often enough to be nausea-inducing (and this for someone flying VR in CV1 for years without any issue), and the ghosting and stuttering artifacts were too annoying.

The Reverb delivers a great image, but on not just low-specced, but anything short of frontline heavy-specced machines, delivers a bad experience.

BTW, you should not call things you disagree with "lies". Whether or not you are wrong (and, in this case, you ARE wrong). You inject unneeded antagonism into the conversation, elevate the level of aggression, degrade the level of discussion, and, from a personal perspective, come across as brattish/ immature.

Edited by Bearfoot

Yeah , i much prefer the opinions of those with RW experience to those speaking purely theorectically-no matter how vociferously expressed . Similarly , i give little credence to opinions expressed with intemporate and disrespectful speech .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just thought I’d mention, if you order the reverb from HP you get 30 days to send it back and get a refund. So it may be worth your while to give it a go and see what you think, and if it’s not to your liking you can get the rift s and have £200 left over to spend on beer or something else (I’d go with the beer my self)

Just thought I’d mention, if you order the reverb from HP you get 30 days to send it back and get a refund. So it may be worth your while to give it a go and see what you think, and if it’s not to your liking you can get the rift s and have £200 left over to spend on beer or something else (I’d go with the beer my self)

This is really the best solution. People's ideas of what is acceptable performance vary (crazily), and if you can make it work for you to acceptable levels on your hardware, then it's a no brainer: Reverb any time. And, if not, you might even think the difference in image quality might be worth investing the another $3000 for a new machine to run it!

Better yet if an Amazon Prime member, can send it back within 30 days for return or replacement no hassles.

I have been tempted to try it the Reverb but then I keep seeing reports that make me question it as I have a Rift S currently. Plus I really do not care for Steam VR.

Don B

Excuse me, one thing I am not is a liar.

He asked for an "opinion", my "opinion" based on his system specs is the Rift S would be the better choice.

Note the key word here is opinion.

Have a nice day,

You argumented from a point coming which claims that the Rift S performs better than the Reverb, which is not true when you take the same image quality for both headsets as a foundation.

With your rig I would recommend Rift S.

It is a great headset and even with my 9900k system ...

How you've written this implies you want to say that the Rift S runs better although you need AA and higher Pixel Density than the Reverb.

I used the same dcs settings with both head sets (except pd, 1.4 on rift s and 1 on reverb) and the performance was better with the S.

So what is important here is, is it the same image quality as the Reverb, the literal same image like 1:1? You just left this out, because it's not. And no, I didn't say you can't run this or that headset with this and that machine, just saying before hand.

Ok boomer, you want your feelings to be heard.

Edited by Der Hirte

Those are facts , not feelings . And as one who has "not flown DCS since 39 months" you are in a poor position to disrespect anyone who speaks of VR headsets and DCS 2.5 .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

QUOTE=Der Hirte;4111408]You'll make it. I've not flown in DCS since 39 months. ^^

You argumented from a point coming which claims that the Rift S performs better than the Reverb, which is not true when you take the same image quality for both headsets as a foundation.

I argued? Really? I thought I stated an opinion which I already clarified for you. And my opinion stands. That is my recommendation to the OP, he can decide based on all feedback provided.

Like I said, have a nice day.

I am done with this.

:pilotfly:

Edited by dburne

Don B

Performance is measured in terms of lack of stuttering, ghosting, dropped frames and nausea. The resolution is the pay-off for the performance penalty.

The Rift S has better performance. Even after dropping the Reverb down to the Rift S resolution. You can never really get to the Rift S to Reverb resolution, so I your reference point is fantasy. And while the Reverb at native resolution looks good, what's the point if your machine cannot run it? The OP's cannot.

Referencing a meme in a low-effort attempt at a witty comeback: B

Not really understanding the meme: C-

Tepid delivery: C-

Thanks for playing. Ok, back to your headset (or is that communication classes?)

Edited by Bearfoot

Rift S is a bloody good choice I reckon. I only have a 1080 but went for a Reverb because I don’t have interest playing anything other than cockpit sims and also I am planning to upgrade my card next year and want a hmd that is future proof. If for whatever reason it doesn’t fit me I can send it back and pick up a Rift S later.

Modules: F-14A/B | F/A-18C | M2000C | AV-8B | Hawk | L-39 | A-10C | C-101 | UH-1 | Normandy | Supercarrier

I will not going into the debate Rift-S vs Reverb performances I will go more on the practical side.

Point is end result on your current rig is similar but the question is how long you will use this 1080Ti card? It is outdated GPU, it is still good but for sure you will change it in next year or two and in that moment you will regret why you didn't take more capable VR and that is Reverb.

Right now your GPU is bottleneck but with upgrade of your rig in the future bottleneck could be your Rift-S and than question will be what did you achive with this upgread?

You have to think in advance.

Those are facts , not feelings . And as one who has "not flown DCS since 39 months" you are in a poor position to disrespect anyone who speaks of VR headsets and DCS 2.5 .

I see your boomer replies are very interesting. You are profiling yourself with having stated facts when in fact you didn't even talk about the topic at all in the first place in your post. Read post #8 again. lmao, keep them feelings coming

My only error was thinking you would actually get what I'm saying. You don't. Not wasting my life, check.

@Cavemanhead

I have 1080Ti and Reverb -

must be said, that performance strongly depends on situation i.e SP/MP, ww2 bird/high end jet , Caucasus forest/Nevada desert, mission population etc...

the difference is HUGE

you can fly FA18 above Nevada desert in multiplayer populated by 20+pilots and have steady 90FPS

you can sit into yak on Gulf airport with few AI singleplayer and will get stutter, because...

...because matter knows.. :smartass:

and I am affraid, it is regardless You wear Reverb or Rift

That is the reality

:)

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX