Summery of Q&A Session with an A-10C pilot, asked by DCS players

Raistlen007

Over on Reddit we had an AMA (Short for Ask Me Anything) session with an A-10C Pilot, and he was asked a lot of questions by DCS players, and I thought you guys would find it interesting. Here is a link to the original thread.

Some questions were removed because he couldn't answer them for OPSEC reasons.

Thanks OfficialShip2000 for making the summery.

Here's the text:

Q: Raistlen007 (49 questions right off the bat.)

1) Have you played DCS A-10C? If so, how close is it to the real thing? What stands out as being accurate inaccurate?

A: Yes, I played it a couple time prior to flying the A-10 and a couple of times since. I do use the warthog HOTAS set. (maybe about 7 times total of sitting down and flying a mission)

The design of the jet and graphics are spot on and the handling is reasonably accurate. Big differances: The actual A-10 is much more forgiving than the game when it comes to how much AOA you can demand without stalling. The sim is impressivly accurate system wise with the full HOTAS/CICU/MFCD suite. Only thing is, that suite is very old now and many of the HOTAS functions have changed or entire systems have been replaced with others. The sim is suite 3.something and it shows. We are on suite 8 now.

edit: This has good info on some new systems: [ame]http://media.jrn.com/documents/A-10C_Capes_Nov_13.pdf[/ame]

Overall, I'd say the sim is very accurate in that there is nothing else out there (except the actual A-10 sims we train on) that comes close. 4/10 with a keyboard, 6/10 with HOTAS, and 9/10 with Oculus CV1.

Q: I always thought the AOA on A-10 Felt a bit weird. Do you think that statements like these can reach developers and maybe tweak it?

A: I'm really not sure. It would be cool to see the A-10 be even more accurate

Q: I have another question for you if you don't mind don't know if it's been asked before to many comments. Is the GAU-8 Gun spreed same in Sim as it is in Real life?

A: Not sure what the DCS spread actually is, but I can say the Hog's actual accuracy is very good.

2) The latest air force A-10C flight manual floating on the internet is from November 2008. What major changes have been introduced to the software since then?

A: The DCS A-10C uses suite 3. We are currently on suite 8 so there are a lot of new bells and whistles. Big ones include full HMCS integration, way better TGP integration/software, and smoother HOTAS commands. Small but good improvement: Last mark SPI.

edit: This gives a good overview of the new toys: [ame]http://media.jrn.com/documents/A-10C_Capes_Nov_13.pdf[/ame]

3) Are you trained in the electricals / fuses, on the front panel, and know what they all do? When would you touch those? Have you ever had to?

A: Yes, we are trained to their use and have a list of them in our checklist. The only time I would plan to pull them is if the emergency checklist directs them to be pulled or reset. They are most often touched by the crew chief.

I have pulled them only in the sim for emergency procedure practice involving landing gear malfunctions.

4) How often and in what situation do you use markpoints?

A: Very often. New systems allows for last markpoint SPI. We can also steer to the last markpoint and keep on default SPI for "super" last markpoint SPI. Any time we want to update a mission waypoint, the markpoints are the way to go.

5) Do pilots still sharpie information inside the canopy?

A: Not sharpie, but grease pens. I always carry black and red grease with the black in my hand-pen elastic holder thing.

Q: Do the different black and red colors carry any significance in your note writing, like, black for frequencies and red for target coordinates, that sort of thing?

A: :For me, almost all is black. Easy to see. Usually I'll place a little red TGT triangle in the middle of a drawn black open crosshair. Makes it simply to draw in an IN and OFF direction along with sorts. Red is good for marking on paper maps during mission planning. All of our maps have waxy laminate over them so drawing on them with grease is perfect for repetitive use.

6) How often do you heavily edit a flightplan, or create a brand new one?

A: I have never edited a flightplan post-mission planning since it can be quite tedious. If I need a bunch of waypoints in order, I'd just take a few mission waypoints in a row and make them correct. ie: missions waypoints 31 through 39 are what I need to reference. Quicker and covers most times you would need it on the fly such as a DTC no load. Also, I hate that DCS missions default to flightplan database AND is set to AUTO inc/dec. Nobody should be changing my STPT except me!

Q: When you say make the waypoints correct, you mean just cycling through them in mission steerpoint source mode, or re-arranging them in the flight plan?

A: Just in the mission waypoint database and cycle through them as steerpoints as needed.

7) Do you use the plane to plane text messaging at all?

A: Yes, whenever it makes tactical sense. As shown in the slideshow I linked in the main post, we can also send special messages to include CSAR 15 lines. Sometimes you want to minimize radio chatter or are simply out of range of reliable voice radio coverage. Sometimes you want to send an image.

Q: How close do you need to get the TGP to a lased target before LSS picks it up properly?

A: I'm not sure on any exact range and I've always had success when someone is putting down a spot correctly.

Q: To clarify, I meant less the range and more in terms of initial position in terms of angle, like I know if someone is lasing behind you, the TGP wont pick it up if its facing forward, but what if its off to the side, if that makes sense?

A:The person putting out the SPOT needs to tell you the general area to STARE at with the LSS.

9) Does it always take 4 minutes for a ground alignment?

A: Yes, but you can accept a degraded FOM initially and let it continue aligning during taxi and in arming.

10) Does it always take five and a half minutes for an inflight alignment or is there variation? If so, how much? Also, have you ever actually done in an inflight alignment in the air for some reason?

A: Yes, you should expect it to take that long. I've tried but the one time I had to it was actually unsuccessful. Don't forget you might have to manually punch in the current GMT time on the TIME page if everything gets messed up.

Q: So if you accept a degraded FOM, and then continue aligning, it aligns in ground mode and is reliable, as opposed to motion alignment being unreliable?

A: It should always be improving. If in that much of a rush, you can just accept the error until it tightens up later.

11) Have you ever had to use the landmark alignment option?

A: INS update via a known ground point? Yes.

Q: Is the INS drift that bad? How long before you have to do it, or were you just trying out the feature?

A: All aircraft's INSs drift but when employing weapons it is best to be as accurate as possible.

12) Do you input wind correction info into the LASTE or does the IFFCC automatically compensate in the targeting calculations?

A: The IFFCC builds its own wind tables continuously during flight. There is an option to set your own values but I've never tried it out.

13) Does the A-10 still use the rocket pods anymore?

A: Oh yes we do. Very effective for different needs. Take a look at the slide show I linked for the laser rocket info.

14) What happened to Rockeyes?

A: We now use different CBU-/87/89/97 and their WCMD equivalents.

15) Do mavericks ground stabilize after a slew, or once you slew them, they move as the plane's nose does, unless you give a stabilization command again?

A: Once slewed, they attempt to lock onto whatever they can since the slew itself is consent to lock. I keep it space stabilized until ready to lock on. I've never used ground stabilize, but slave to SPI can be handy.

Q: So is the simulated behavior correct, that once you slew the mav, and it fails to lock on, you lose the space stabilization?

A: Not such how DCS does it. Haven't used it very much. If it fails to lock the way you want you can start slewing again or space stabilize, slew, then release the stabilize and see if it worked.

Q:So the stabilize is a hard toggle, and slewing doesn't cancel it?

A: Correct. Holding DMS FWD Long keeps it stabilized.

16) How often and in what situation would you force correlate a Maverick?

A: Large, poorly bounded target. Avoid at all costs.

17) Is the HMD its own sensor? Can you make it SOI? Can you designate a SPI from a point you designated by looking through the HMD?

A: Yes. You can make either HMD SOI or HMD Video SOI. You can hook items on the ground via the HMCS just like the TAD and make it SPI or place the HDC which it the same as the HUD's TDC and make it SPI. You can also take markpoints anywhere you look.

Q: What is HMD Video?

A: The HMCS can display whatever is on your right MFCD in a quarter of the monocle or you can "paste" it somewhere in the cockpit so when you look in the spot you put it the video is there. For example, you could put the TGP screen pasted straight up and every time you're bored lean back and look at it. Just an extra feature.

Q: First thing I would do with that is put a TGP in the HMCS, forward and a bit off to the side, then slave it to the HMCS DCS equivalent, so wherever I look, I'm seeing a zoomed in area over there. Would the TGP be able to track as fast as I swivel my head, or would there be noticeable and irritating catch up?

A: If you continuously command the TGP to slew to HMCS LOS, it will go there but in a somewhat delayed and jerky fashion. Also, you'll probably make the hamsters cry from the continuous calculations.

18) Do you feel the A-10C badly needs a ground radar, or would that be superfluous considering what it does in the field?

A: Not really needed. Just would get in the way of weapons and we usually fly low enough already.

19) What is the best way to locate your targets, assuming no one is spotting them for you?

A: Mission planning with known location in a waypoint.

20) What weapon does the A-10C employ primarily these days? Jdams? Mavs? Guns?

A: Yes. All of them.

21) What mavericks are used these days? Are there still cheap Ds floating around? In DCS we have the Ds, Hs, Ks, and Gs. Is there a completely new and better kind used primarily these days?

A: All previous types are still used to include B models. Also, L (laser) models are now used.

22) In DCS, in order to fire multiple mavericks at different markpoints, you have to go through a cycle of next steerpoint, china, china, china, TMS, fire, steerpoint. Is that something a real pilot would do, or would he just slew after a quickdraw?

A: Simply slew to the next target. Mavericks are visual weapons and shouldn't be arbitrarily lobbed at waypoints. :|

24) How many lines do the JTAC give you, or is it all digital now?

A: JTACs still pass the 9 line. This video will show you how it goes: [ame]

[/ame]

26) How big an area does the DTSAS cover? If not the whole world, how do you make sure you have all the data you need for your operating area?

A: It isn't unlimited. Missions Planning Cell will ensure the needed region is loaded. Some areas can become more detailed based on what is loaded. For instance, you might have D5/B1 and then it will go to D3/B1 when in better coverage areas.

27) Do you do any flightplan / DSMS inventory modifications, or do you always just roll with what you're given?

A: Flightplans will be setup as needed prior to the sortie. DSMS will relatively standard and the profiles needed will be put into the rotory as needed to include changes during flight.

28) In the recorder playback, is the black rectangle in the corner a sign of pressing the first stage trigger, second stage trigger, weapons release, or all of the above?

A: The witness cue appears anytime the pickle button is pressed or the trigger is brought to the second detent.

29) What is the proper procedure for a windmill in-air engine start?

A: WINDMILL AIRSTART

Windmill airstart is not recommended. However, if necessary:

Place aircraft in a dive to obtain and/or maintain sufficient wind- mill start airspeed.

Bleed air switch - OFF.

Crossfeed switch - CROSSFEED.

When ITT below 150°C and inside the windmill start envelope:

Throttle(s) - MAX.

Engine operate switch(es) affected engine(s) - IGN.

Q: What's the mill start airspeed?

A: Start envelope. I think 20% rpm.

Q: Is there an optimal IAS?

A: Not that I know of. Sorry, I believe it is mainly that you need to maintain enough airspeed to prevent core lock. Can't do a windmill start if the parts are moving.

30) Have you ever accidentally left the APU on until after takeoff?

A: Sigh... yes.

31) How hard is actual aerial refueling?

A: Actully not very difficult. At night is admitable somewhat sketchy but still manageable. After flying close and close trail in various aircraft for 1.5 years prior, the small movements required for AAR are familiar. Big thing is getting too far aft when going astern. Difficult to catch back up when stripped and the tanker isn't slowing down.

Q: Can you ask the tanker to slow down to help, or is there some procedure or stigma attached to that?

A: Tanker is going as slow as it can already. We sometimes have to request that they descend while refueling so we can keep up. Parked in MAX the whole time.

32) Was it always possible to delete markpoints, or was that a feature that was added?

A: I'm not sure.

33) How accurate is the nav system in HARS mode?

A: I have only used it a handful of times but it actually seems relatively accurate. It used to be the main system and I trust it.

35) Ever taken a TGP selfie?

A: Yes. Helps if you turn the slew setting higher or if you slave the TGP to your HMCS LOS on the opposite side to get it closer.

37) The six buttons under the master caution, why are they blank on some aircraft, or even sharpied in on some? How often do you use them?

A: Good question. They are called the "6 unmarked UFC buttons." They are in fact the ones we use most often. When they first designed the A-10C model, they couldn't decide what each of these special buttons should do or be called, but they did know they should be the most used and essential setup as macros. Anyways, the order goes out to produce the UFC before the designers can decide and everyone is ok since they think they can just etch the labels on later. Turns out, the manufacturers didn't put back lighting in for those buttons since they thought they would remain unlabeled. So, now only the very new UFC jets have back lights and they are very few. Many squadrons have simply put stickers with the desired labels over them as an easy solution.

Q: So.... That's a lot of words describing them and how they look... But what do they do?

A: 2 change radio frequencies on the 210s. 1 changes IFF settings. 3 change the radio modes of the 210s.

38) What IFF mode do you most commonly use? Are the older modes completely obsolete?

A: Each mode's use depends on the situation. I can't really go into more detail than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_transponder_interrogation_modes

39) Do you train to use the gun with PAC off? How do you deal with the recoil?

A: We do not necessarily train with PAC off, but many of us have done it. Often, the EAC in the jet kicks off without noticing. I've shot with the PAC disengaged and it usually is a short enough burst you don't realize until after that something was wrong. The bullets just aren't as nicely grouped.

40) Does it bother you that the autopilot is so basic, while other aircraft can autonav and autoland?

A: Not really. Having a flight director or something fancy would be ok but we honestly wouldn't use it at all. The minimum amount of times we do cross country flights isn't enough of a reason to have a major system like that.

41) Do you use the HSI at all, or do you just do everything on the HUD? If you still use the HSI for anything, what for? ILS?

A: The HUD is not instrument rated as a PFR, so technically we use the HSI for all IFR flight... Now, when in actual IMC (clouds), yes the HSI is used with no real use of the HUD. Also, the HSI is useful for dialing in headings you need to remember both in the course window and the heading bug.

Q: Really, why is [The HUD is not instrument rated]? You'd think that the HUD would be the most useful and important piece of instrumentation on the jet.

A: Instrument rated in that they didn't pay the money to get it certified. Happened when they switched to the C model and they had better things to pay for I believe.

42) Do you always use the NVGs at night, or is not seeing out not so bad to do the mission?

A: Yes, but we can peek under them when looking inside the cockpit so we can see the MFCDs clearly.

43) Can the A-10 fly and engage targets in total IFR conditions, such as heavy fog?

A: Difficult question to answer. Best I can say is the A-10 does not have a radar system.

44) Has any function been given to mic switch up yet, or is it still blank?

A: Yes. Just when you thought you had it all, another radio! LARS 650

[ame]http://media.jrn.com/documents/A-10C_Capes_Nov_13.pdf[/ame]

45) How much air to air combat training does a hog pilot get?

A: lol Enough to make RAP.

Q: What does that mean?

A: We go through full air to air training, but it isn't our main focus.

Q: So is this zero time air to air combat training? I think the questions come up because DCS common load outs include 2 AIM-9 ... and the missions are riddle with enemy aircraft.

A: Best I can say is that we do have effective air to air weapons.

Q: Have you ever been in a simulated fight against a plane better suited to the fighter role (16/15) and won?

A: Yes. AMIL guns kill vs an F-18.

46) How good are the military A-10 simulators? Are they full motion? What do they leave out, besides the smell of the gunpowder?

A: Our sims are great. We only do 4.5 hours in them prior to our first flight in the actual jet. We also are able to update currencies in them and link up with a multitude of other MDSs for training.

Not full motion, but 360/clamshell screen coverage. Nothing else left out.

47) What is the best looking American fighter jet and why is it the F-14 tomcat?

A: The Hog is ugly and that's why I love her. I gotta say the F-22 is the best looking.

48) If the A-10 is retired soon as the air force plans to, what jet would you like to transfer to?

A: The correct career answer is the F-35; it is a new community with a lot of great A-10 dudes shaping it into what it should be. Also, it would be very difficult to turn down an opportunity to fly something so new like that. Basically a new sports car. But to me right now, I would want that if the A-10 isn't an option anymore.

49) What do you think about the F-35? Will it replace the A-10? Should it?

A: Great at doing what it was designed to do. No, not for CAS or FAC(A) or CSAR.

Q: Cephelopodia

“Is it weird that so many people like DCS enthusiasts are into studying your job as a hobby? Is it creepy, flattering, neutral, or something else?”

A: I'd say it is very flattering; I knew I wanted to fly fighters since I was a young kid and know how it feels to look at people who do something so advanced. To be here now is a dream come true. I totally understand why a DCS community exists. These aircraft are impressive feats of engineering and fun to be around. I'm glad others can get excited about what fighter pilots do. I keeps us able to recruit the best people for the job and do the mission right. Plus, everything about the Hog is fun and I have no problem with others wanting to be a part of it.

Q: 71st_AH_Eagle

“I've been trying to fly the A-10C in DCS more realistically as of late. One of the main changes that I have done is carry lighter payloads than absurd payloads such as six mavs and a boatload of bombs. What are some loadouts that would be regularly used? Thanks for doing this!”

A: I won't be able to talk about combat loadouts, but a more aggressive training one might be: 2xAIM-9, 2xMAV (EO & IR), 2x JDAM, 2xLGB, Rocket pod, TGP, ECM pod, full gun. To go even lighter, you can ditch the ECM pod and the AIM-9s. Gives you all of the options and forces you to decide which is best.

Q: TheRealWireline

I have a couple, by which I sort of mean five :)

1. How much do you use the rudder pedals? Are they required for manoeuvring or even basic flight? Is finessing a gun aim the only time you would use them? This really bothers me as I want to feel I have basic flying correct, be a good hog pilot, before I really get deep with weapons. Can you recommend a way to learn just flying the hog "by the book" or at least somewhere near properly? I usually sim with civilian aircraft like the 172 in P3D as flying itself is my first love, followed closely by brrting things.
  2. This may not be answerable, but are there times when you would have to setup guided weapons extremely quickly, or are they always used from a safe standoff distance and straight and level? I suppose I mean - you ever dial in a maverick in the middle of a close in firefight? :D

Shitpost optional questions:

1. What is your favourite civilian aircraft?
  2. Do you ever call the hog Warty McWartFace?
  3. Does the A-10 have cup holders?

A: 1 - I only use the rudder pedals when: steering during taxi, takeoff to stay on my half, landing for crosswind corrections, single engine emergency ops to stay coordinated, and when rejoining to take out some HCA. Quick bank and pitch is how I adjust my gun shots. The hog is easy from just a flying perspective and it was designed to be that way. If you can get through a stall series, perform aerobatics, fly all formation positions, rejoin, and shoot an ILS, I'd say you could pass an instrument check ride and thus competent at piloting the A-10.

2 - I'm not able to talk about weapon tactics today.

SP1 - Spruce Goose

SP2 - Yes and we all have tattoos of that name under our shorts.

SP3 - Actually, yes it can. The flashlight holder on the left rail can be fashioned with a custom cup holder for easy reach.

Q: farning10

“Hello! Thank you for doing this AMA. My question is do you use a kneeboard when you fly and what kinds of things do you have on it. If not, do you have any traditional charts anywhere in the plane?”

A: Two knee boards. One for notes/9 lines and the other for weapon and threat info. I also use grease pens on the canopy.

We still carry paper maps and FLIP in the cockpit.

---------

Q: “Wow, that's really cool. Have you ever had to use your paper maps for navigation?”

---------A: Certainly. If it enhances SA, it is a good idea to use them. If it isn't useful, it just stays stored. LATN maps are where I've used them the most. -------------

Q: What is FLIP?

-------------A: DOD flight information publications. Navigational charts and approaches. http://www.dla.mil/Aviation/Offers/Products/Mapping/FLIP.aspx

Q: Code-Void

“I'm properly late but here goes. Here is my question. Around here people type down the sound of the GAU and do the sound effect with their voice, so my question is when you fire the GAU in real life do you voice the sound effects?”

A: I never have before, but I'll have to try it out next time with hot mike on.

Q: xXxcock_and_ballsxXx

1) What jets would you like to fly for a job, other than the hog?

2) Have you ever taken off at or very near the max takeoff weight? In DCS it feels like trying to fly a moon.

3) Have you ever tried this?

Thanks for the AMA

A: 1 - Flying for a skydiving drop zone would be nice. Maybe a twin otter or the like.

2 - not max, but with summer heat the engines really don't like it.

3 - lol, no

Q: xXxcock_and_ballsxXx

One last question, do you listen to Dos Gringos?

A: Yes

Q: eran1000

How does it feel to brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt?

A: Like a massive, aggressive, metal ratchet is being spun right below your seat. Also, PAC-2 usually feels like a slight slip/skid.

Q: chrisv25

Your thoughts on the T-90? I hear the Ukrainians have not been able to kill one. Think the A-10 can?

A: I am confident the A-10 can hold up to its original tank busting mission.

Q: Stone_313

Thanks for doing this AMA! I just want to know if the term RFOA-10g rings any bells for you? And if it does, is the term still well known in the Hog driver community?

A: I have not heard of the RFOA. Obviously, the O/A-10 but not the rest of it.

Q: Casen_

What is the one thing you would like to have upgraded in the A-10?

I feel it could use some better engines.

A: Engines for sure. And a more adjustable fit HMCS.

Q: MajorMoore

Is the A10s engines power in dcs realistic as it is in real I live right next to nellis and and I'm on the base a couple times a week and the a10 compared to f22 or f15 is relatively quiet compared to the big afterburners

A: From what I've seen, DCS engines are less powerfull than the actual A-10 engines. However, you are correct; without afterburners we simply don't produce that raw sound like the pointy nose guys.

Q: Cephelopodia

In DCS, we often use the TGP to spot a target, designate it with a SPI, and then force-correlate the Maverick seeker onto the SPI. It comes in handy when the eyeball can't make out the target for the HUD wagon wheel. (Graphics are a limitation here.)

I think someone said this was unrealistic...is this something that you'd do, or are there better options than this?

A: Using the slave to SPI for the MAV isn't unrealistic. Getting a lock from doing only that much is. Real mavericks need to be more specific with what they are locking on to. ----------

Q: So it is normal to complain that the maverick isn't locking up and you are about to be outside launch authority.

----------A: I'll just say that getting a lock isn't so automatic like DCS.

Q: Bullitthead

When you fire the gun can you still see the pipper/gun sight and target in the HUD or is the vibration too intense?

A: You can't see everything perfectly, but it mainly due to the gun gas obstructing your view. The vibrations themselves don't make the hud unreadable.

Q: Casen_

Another question. Have you ever watched and DCS videos on YouTube and gone, "Huh, I'll have to try that on my next training mission." Or do you just watch them all going, "Nope, nope, wrong, should have done X, shoulda done Y..."?

A: Funny. Mostly it's like, "meh, I could see that working out ok, but man that sure was a cowboy way of doing it." I'd say our coordination with the ground parties makes us much more methodical and ordered in how we attack. The one where the guy tries refueling and then just shoots the tanker instead is the funnies I've seen. The one when the guy is vs some Mig and get a kill after 10 minutes of continuous turning makes me sad for my neck.

Q: brk195

Hey thank you very much for taking a moment from your time to do this AMA.

I would like to know with the A-10's very impressive array of weaponry I would think that you wouldn't need or even have the chance to use the gun in actual combat situations how often do you use the gun in actual combat missions.

A: Bullets are cheap and we have a lot on the jet. Everything else is $$ and limited.

Q: brk195

Thank you for replying So I understand that you use it quite often makes perfect sense if I may ask another question. what do you think of the idea of the F-35 taking over your role in the future

A: F-35 will not be replacing our CAS mission. The F-16 and F-15 would fill the gap.

Q: HowlingPantherWolf

Hello, thanks for this AMA!

I was wondering what kind of math and how much of it is required in your position both inside and outside of the cockpit. It's obvious that mathematics are an integral part of flight, but how much is necessary when actually in flight? Or is all that more required on the ground before/after flights? Thanks in advance!

A: I'd say there is a lot of math that goes into the understanding of weapons delivery and things like that. Mission planning may involve a bit of distance/time math and that also occurs in the jet. The most on the spot stuff needed is wind corrections to base distances and fuel calculations.

Q: Aarenas52

What math level would you say is necessary? I would like to become a pilot. But stuff like geometry gets more but algebra "style" is a breeze for me.

A: On a daily basis, I don't ever feel like I'm stretching myself with the math. Simple addition, division, and multiplication. Essentially basic private pilot skills for distance and fuel understandings. I was an engineering major in college and know how bad the calculus can get.

“math level” If you can get a bachelors degree in anything you will be fine.

Any tips to get ahead. Currently an A1c. Now going on first deployment and really excited. Barley finishing my CDC's. Speaking of which do pilots have cdc's?

A: Officers do not have CDC's or any form of testing. All OPR based for our promotions. You likely already know most of this, but just stay focused on what you primary job is and be the best at it. You gotta figure out what your supervisor wants from you in specific terms (ask for initial feedback/expectations if you are unsure) and be reliable about that stuff. Be a sponge and always willing to learn new skills. Don't be disrespectful to people you don't know; they may be a big deal or have been through things you don't know about. Don't complain and have a few hobbies to stay sane. Don't be late. Play well with others. Be someone who "buys in" to the mission/job of whatever shop you have. Make it your responsibility to ensure it thrives. If you ever think "wouldn't it be great if...," be the someone who makes that happen. But you can only do those things if your primary job is good to go.

What happens in tech school? Where did you go Sheppard? That's the only training base I know of for pilots. Though I heard there are 2 more. All you do is study for a few months and then fly or do you study and fly together? And before hitting the air do you go on a sim? Thank you sir for answering all my questions.

A: There is a lot that goes into training to become an Air Force pilot. Undergraduate Pilot training is either at Sheppard, Laughlin, Columbus, or Vance AFB. All flying involves basic aircraft handling, aerobatics, instrument flying, formation flying, and eventually weapons employment. I'll do be best to outline what I did below.

4 year USAFA or 2 years ROTC or 4 months OCS

1.5 months Initial Flight Training in DA-20 in Pueblo, CO

1 month academic training for T-6 with sims

6 months flying, academics, and sim training in a T-6

6 months flying, academics, and sim training in a T-38

1 month SERE training

1 week water survival training

3 months Introduction to fighter fundamentals in a T-38

7 months of flying, academics, and sim training in an A-10

Q: Pedalsteelmw

How much fun was SERE? What did you name your rabbit?

A: It was fine. I had already done all the survival stuff via USAFA. I didn't get to kill him that time around. I named him "Stew."

Q: Sandy88

Hey GCI here, controlled you guys out in Korea got an A-10 to the merge with a Viper. The hog won that turn fight spectacularly! My question isn't DCS related but have you gotten a chance to come down to Florida and do Combat Archer or Combat Hammer?

EDIT: PILSUNG!

A: Combat Hammer in Utah.

Q: kherven

Always been curious as its quite overwhelming to look at a cockpit from a civilian perspective. Obviously you know what everything does in the cockpit, but do you know ALL of it (including things the computers can do) inside and out, or are there simply rarely used things that you only have a basic understanding of?

EDIT: If the question isn't really clear, the inspiration for the question is from an old nasa mission that involved reseting the power with a rarely used switch. Flight control told them to try it and only one guy actually knew where the switch was. Obviously completely different forms of aircraft, but is there any "rarely used" parts of the A-10 you don't know a whole lot about?

A: Yes, we are taught what all controls do and surprisingly we usually use most of the switches (even if they simply stay in the on positions) throughout the flight. Obviously if we don't shoot an ILS for example, the ILS isn't really "used" but it is at least on, tuned, and ready to go. I can't think of any switch beside the ground override that we aren't at least ready to utilize. edit: i'd say the HARS fast erect is one I really don't know the details of. The Line Check for refueling used to be one the old guys would never use.

Q: Raistlen007 (In response to the above answer)

What about the Zeroize switch?

A: When mode 4 keeps flashing during training, you betcha.

Q: 4rch1t3ct

If you can't answer this I understand, but does the HMCS allow you to set a SPI on the ground with it? I usually use the TAD to do it but I feel like that would be very useful while orbiting a target area.

A: Yes. Similar to the TDC in the HUD, you can ground stabilize a HDC and make it SPI or you can hook anything already out there like on the TAD and make that hook SPI.

Q: hood1e

3) What distance would one usually employ guns on a target?

4) As far as the HOTAS goes, do you feel like you can do most everything without taking your hands off of the throttle and stick?

5) When employing weapons, is it like second nature for you? (For instance, to employ a maverick on a steerpoint, TMS Aft long, COOLIE HAT right short to cycle right MFCD to MAV page, COOLIE HAT Right long set that to SOI, CHINA HAT aft long to Slave to steerpoint, then fire? Like is this all burned into your head?)

Also I get it if some of these you cannot answer regarding operational security :)

A: 3 - I can't go into detail, but big factors that determine firing range are the type of delivery, type of target, and if there are frag considerations. 4 - Yes, HOTAS has been well integrated so that most things we do regularly, except waypoint updating, keep your hands on the stick and throttle. 5 - No, I would say much of it requires concentration on what exactly needs to happen at the time of weapons employment. The key is doing it the same every time to build a solid habit pattern. Much of the movements are memorized, but skipping even one by being flippant about it makes it an ineffective pass.*

Q: Nike619

First of all, Thank you for BRRRRRRT'ing for the good ol' USA. Secondly, do you ever wish you had gotten an Eagle, Viper or other slot? You've got my dream job man. Thanks for the AMA also. If you're ever in Oregon I owe you a beer.

A: Thanks! I'd appreciate the drink. A-10s were my first choice and honestly the high speed, high g thing at altitude was already getting old by the end of T-38s. I much prefer the low slow game where you can greatly affect the ground war.

Q: systemhendrix

When you fire the guns have you ever farted at the same time just for fun?

A: Not that I know of; too busy having fun with the gun.

Q: MopsyWT Have you flown other military aircraft in your career and in your opinion how does it fare compared to the A-10, in terms of difficulty, cool factor, etc?

A: Yes. I've flown the T-6, T-38 and various single engine civilian ones. The A-10 is the easiest to fly, employ, and land! Very compliant and stable aircraft and very forgiving when you mess up. Cool factor? Just look at that GUN! http://i.imgur.com/7zxqLpe.jpg

Q: PotatoJuiceIsMoist

Hello there, Thanks for doing an AMA here! My question is: What is the most fun you've had in the A-10?

A: LATN in Alaska. Maverick is also fun to see the "train leave the station."

Q: Stone_313

How about the scariest moment you've had in the hog?

A: So there I was... BSA range. Number 2. I had gotten too excited and aggressive about raining hate on the rag and had let my bullet management slip. Last pass. Had to look good in front on number 1 and not go through dry. I boldly told number 1 my DSMS is saying I don't have any left, but I didn't get to the end of the counter last pass and I surly must have some more left. He clears me hot. PAC-1: already sweetened up. Drive it in. Aww yiss, money shot time! PAC-2: Suddenly, the shortest spin, rattle, brrtt, and clearing cycle I ever had. Both the jet and the ranger's score left me with a resounding "Is that it?" Only 4 rounds had gone out before it hit the rounds counter. At first I was scarred I'd busted the gun, turns out I only broke my pride.

Q: chrisv25

Have you used HMIT? Any observations on how much more capable it makes the jet?

A: Yes, a lot. It is very useful for many tasks. Best part is that it is easy to turn OFF when not in use and to use it briefly when appropriate. Being able to see TGP and waypoint info on the actual ground is its strongest capability.

Q: CheekiNoBreeki

Thank you for taking your time with this. My dream job was to be a fighter pilot in the US Air Force. However my eye sight got the better of me. I'm 25 years old right now and if I was to get corrective eye surgery would I be allowed to enlist?

A: I don't know the exact/correct answer. I do know some civilian eye surgery methods are a no-go for the military but not all. Not sure which ones. I also know that pilots need to be correctable with 20-20 vision with glasses/contacts. I would take a look at this AFI in full to find what is applicable to you: [ame]http://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_sg/publication/afi48-123/afi48-123.pdf[/ame]

Q: Jimithy_clickit

What do you use most often to acquire targets on the ground? I tend to use a combination of pre-mission map study, identification of terrain landmarks visually, and then using the TGP to hone in on it from there. Aside from ground lasing or IR pointers, or an automagical SPI-setting drone in the sky, how does an A-10 pilot going in blind find targets?

A: JTACs.

Q: GavinET

After the air force, do you plan to do any civilian flying (for pleasure or for work) or do you think you've got it all out of your system during your time flying an A-10?

A: I would prefer to do some civilian flying maybe with a little 172 or even for hire with a multiengine. Flying is so much fun I hope it never becomes boring.

Q: GavinET

Also, have you had any experience with the A-10A, how long have you been flying in general, and how long have you been flying A-10s? Thank you for doing this AMA by the way!

A: I have no A model experience.

Q: catgasm2

I know I am suuper late to this party but here goes. I noticed on some hud footage on youtube that pilots fly with sim mode on vs master arm off. Why is that?

A: Are you referring to the Master Mode - Train and thus "TRN" is shown in the HUD? If so, we use that to ensure the gun does not spin when shooting at others during training missions.

Q: Skelebonerz

Leafed through, didn't see this- understand if this is un-answerable because of OPSEC. Is the gun on the 'Hog more, less, or about the same accuracy as the gun we have in DCS? While most of us don't practice perfect attack runs in DCS, it still feels like you have to get right on top of the guy to put rounds on him, and by that point you probably have an Igla trying to force its way up your butt.

A: Best I can say is the gun is very accurate. It will go right where the death dot is pointed.

Q: Dantares

I've always wondered how you maintain formation in low to no-vis IMC.

A: Lead will rejoin everyone to root if it is not too thick and close formation if solid clouds. In that position, all players and very close and simply look to the side and fly off lead's visual markings to stay in position.

Q: NoMoreOreos

Thank you for taking the time for this AMA! My question is: How hard was it to get selected for fighter jets after you graduated from the academy? I am in the midst of applying right now and what to know how the aviation path is decided and its difficulty. Thanks in advance.

A: It is a big mix of hard work and opportunity. You gotta be in the front of your class the entire time to make each cut. Most people fall off the train in T-6s. As an example, there could be 25 people in a class and only 7 T-38 slots. Once in T-38s, there is likely to only be 3 or 4 fighters. Just set your goals now and don't forget what they are the entire time. UPT is a fun time, but don't stop studying. Read the material and always ask any of your questions in the debrief. Write down what your instructor said you did wrong (or well) and fix it the next time. Always be ready for the next few flights.

Q: forgetenoldpassword

What was the plane you got your Private Licence in and if its different the first plane you ever flew?

A: I never got my PPL in a civilian aircraft. At the completion of UPT, military pilots petition the FAA for the appropriate licenses and ratings. I got my commercial SEL, MEL (CLT), and instrument for only the cost of the written and application fee. The first aircraft I flew was at USAFA and was a Cirrus SR20.

Where did you fly the SR20 i went to a bunch of aviation schools and only 2 had them

A: At the US Air Force Academy. They call them T-53As.

Is that where you went? Or are you saying a fun fact

A: That is where I went to "college" and where i flew my first aircraft while there. They have many great airmanship programs for those who want to get involved in them. And everything is free.

Q: illaj26

Thanks for the AMA! I Googled around a bit but never found an answer to why manual reversion is so difficult to operate in. The hog is aerodynamically stable but if feels relatively out of control to me in DCS when flying in manual reversion. There have also been fatal landing accidents in MR. Why so dicey?

A: MR has very poor flight control authority for the amount of stock throw you use. When landing, with the addition of any significant crosswind or asymetrical thrust, you don't have enough control authority due to the slow speed while landing. Just think about how the aileron tabs "fly" the actual control surface to he correct position; without higher speeds, they will barely move. For higher altitudes and speeds with MR, use trim after the initial transition while keeping in mind that the pitch trim is now almost double effective for the amount you put in. Also, avoid large throttle changes as it may cause the jet to pitch violently.

Q: DillDeer

Not entirely off topic, but I'm wanting to go into the ANG (144th FW). I think I have a good shot at it, I have my PPL, getting good grades, and a 4 year athlete. Hypothetically let's say I get picked up for a slot with the guard: What will my experience be like before UPT (like OTS), at UPT, and the road after?

A: Nice. Sounds like you are on your way to doing great things! I don't know much about OTS, but it will definitely include much of the same elements of any initial basic training. Shooting training, marching, obstacle course, PME, etc. nothing to worry about. In UPt you will be just like all other students learning the T-6 but you will already know if you will funnel into the T-1 or T-38. With your PPL you can skip IFT and will have a leg up over others if you already have your instrument rating. In UPT you will learn basic handling, aerobatics, instruments, and formation flying. Fun stuff. After UPT they will send you through IFF if fighters or straight to the FTU if a heavy. Eventually you will end up back in your unit. I do t know the details but you will likely be on active status for a certain amount of time.

Q: a_kimsta

As you know, there is a shaky outlook of the A-10's future and being phased out of the air force. If A-10's were to drop in my UPT class, should I avoid it? (In fear of being transitioned to UAV's... Thank you

A: No way. If you can get a fighter and start the process via IFF, they are aimply going to place you in another fighter jet. The Air Force has a huge 11F shortage right now.

Q: ShieldHood

What is the "Radio Call" plate left of the MFCD for? Our model shows 90208. Also is there a button above it? Is that just a screws? http://i.imgur.com/lldr17e.png

A: So, the manufacture puts the Radio Call placard there so you know the tail number because civilian planes usually simply talk over radio as their tail numer (i.e. "N654321") and not an actual call sign (i.e. HAWG21). So, the "Radio Call" is short for "Radio Callsign." Also, the first number lets you know the last number of the order date of the jet. So, 90208 is tail number 89-0208. That is just a screw.

Q: Easy301

Hello! Would you please be kind enough to answer a few questions I have. :)

1) Would you rather have a box of kittens or a box of Sandwiches.

2) Aside from the essentials is there anything you always take into the cockpit with you that might surprise us?

3) During your training and role as a pilot has there even been a time where you had doubt in yourself or your abilities to accomplish a task? If so, how did you handle those situations?

1) If you had to pick a call-sign for me, what would it be? :P

Thanks a bunch!

A: D1 - The container of felines. 2 - Candy bars and piddle packs. 3 - Yes, that has happened at a few moments. Really, it comes down to you have no choice but to perform your best and trust the training. I remember in UPT rejoins and close formation were really difficult for me at certain points but I had to figure out what I was doing to make it more difficult than it should be and how to fix it. Just gotta have drive to press through your own uncertainty. 4 - :/ Well callsigns are usually a reference to either your name or something stupid you've done in the past. I only know your name so maybe Rider. As in Easy Rider. (There is an old F-4 pilot whose last name is Ryder and his C/S is Easy.)

Q: sanjeetsuhag

Having spoken to a couple of other Air Force pilots, I was made to understand that it is incredibly difficult to get a pilot slot if you are not a white guy/gal. How true is this ?

Also, if a person wants to be a fighter pilot and is ready to give it their all, will their hard work be the determinant in them getting a slot or will it all depend on luck and other uncontrollable factors ?

A:I have never seen race play a factor in getting a pilot slot. I know many people of all races who are pilots. To get a fighter slot, you must work hard to be in the front of each group at every stage. There are many variables that need to work out, specifically number of T-38 slots available and then number of fights slots available to your UPT class. Best way to ensure you get one of the few is to be #1. You must do well in T-6s and get a T-38 slot or there isn't really a way to ever go back and try for a fighter in The future.

Q: MrWoohoo

I just have one question: how do you pronounce "SPI"? Spee? Spy?

A: Spee

Q: Raistlen007

Quick follow up regarding the TS Warthog, does the boat switch swivel on a rotation on the real throttle, or does it slide back and forth like the sim animates it in game?

A: slides like in the animation.

Q: Raistlen007

Follow up: What is Last mark SPI and how does it work?

A: Same as making default SPI (STPT SPI) or TGP LOS SPI. Except it is simply your last mark taken. No copy LSK required.

Edited by Raistlen007
corrected answer to question #8
  • Like 8

"Big differances: The actual A-10 is much more forgiving than the game when it comes to how much AOA you can demand without stalling."

I wonder if ED would consider looking at this ^ with an eye to possibly tweaking the flight model?

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing, take my rep :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

There's a lot of very interesting stuff going on on the forum, but this is one of the coolest post! Thanks to all involved!

EDIT: his referring to afterburner jets/pilots as "pointy nose guys" really cracked me up

Edited by Eamoe

Hi can you explain the use of the depressible pipper?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi, the depressible pipper is basicaly a movable iron sight, signifying a position relative to the airplane's forward axis.

You can move it up and down if you want the point on the hud to signify a particular point relative to your nose.

It doesn't really have much use, but I have found it useful if I want to see on my hud where the TGP in air mode boresights, which is at pipper point 41.

Great:book: Share:thumbup:+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] SMOKE'M:smoke: IF YA GOT'M!:gun_rifle:

H2o Cooler I7 9700k GA 390x MB Win 10 pro

Evga RTX 2070 8Gig DD5

32 Gig Corsair Vengence, 2T SSD.

TM.Warthog:joystick: :punk:, CV-1:matrix:,3x23" monitors, Tm MFD's, Saitek pro rudders wrapped up in 2 sheets of plywood:megalol:

The design of the jet and graphics are spot on and the handling is reasonably accurate. Big differances: The actual A-10 is much more forgiving than the game when it comes to how much AOA you can demand without stalling.

Q: I always thought the AOA on A-10 Felt a bit weird. Do you think that statements like these can reach developers and maybe tweak it?

A: I'm really not sure. It would be cool to see the A-10 be even more accurate

I always knew that the flight model when it comes to stalling in the A-10 was completely inaccurate. I made a thread about this a while ago in which I mentioned that I saw A-10 HUD videos where the pilots ride the chopped warning tone and more without the wing dip/stall tendency we have in DCS. I deeply & profoundly wish for the developers to tweak this to be realistic & nail it this time.

A: From what I've seen, DCS engines are less powerfull than the actual A-10 engines.

I feel the same way too also by watching HUD videos where the airspeed doesn't bleed as much as in the sim while maneuvering, and they are regained faster as well. But perhaps this could be because of weather differences (temperature/density etc).

Overall I believe we should all forward this to the developers or someone to tweak the flight model to delay the aggressive wing stalling behaviour & maybe redo their research on the engine specifications and tweak it if they find it unrealistic in the sim.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Both the high AoA/stall behaviour and the engines not performing to rated ITT were reported by me and others during the early pre-release testing, ED said we were wrong. I wouldn't expect to see any changes at all to the A-10C now. Still, doesn't hurt to keep pointing it out.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

There is also the issue of yaw dampers, which I don't think are working correctly in DCS's A-10. As I understand it we should't be getting so much wobble when rolling, at least not as much.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

• 6 months later...

What's likely won't happen but I wouldn't mind at all if they said we're going to have a version 2, of the 10c. in fact they could just do a mod specifically with the electronics and just charge for that upgrade. There is a lot of differences they could make but I don't know if they will.