VKB or Virpil

In my opinion VIRPIL has made an excellent product. I just received the T50 and base. Took a couple of weeks to arrive in Canada. Their stick is very nice but I prefer my TM Warthog stick as I fly the A10 almost 100% of the time. Regardless it’s an easy switch between sticks. So now I use my Warthog stick on a VIRPIL base and the accuracy, smoothness and adjustability is excellent. It’s also Far better than the TM Warthog base.

I do believe my flying will improve dramatically because of the new VIRPIL base.:thumbup:

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

If the Virpil stick had a 4 way + hat at the thumb, I think I’d be keeping it on my T-50 base all the time, but I just like the hat at the thumb position too much, and will end up just ordering a Warthog grip as a spare part when I order a second base. The base is *very* nice. I currently fly on two systems, one uses my Warthog,t he other the Virpil, and the Warthog feels very sticky and not smooth in comparison. I’ll probably do the lube thing with it eventually, but I suspect it will become a back up base once the WarBRD is released.

Z...

Edited by Barefoot Bandit

Plastic parts inside GunFighter

I'm not sure about VKB since it looks like there are a few internal plastic parts......//........ base that was redundantly reliable and durable. Something that could last a nuclear war!

Thanks for bringing the forum attention to those plastic parts.

They are called dry clutches and sure you don't see them elsewhere. Because it is our own gift to the community - something that VKB designed and made public domain.

Needless to say, those plastic parts are coming in addition, not instead of, steel cams.

Below you can see what it is for.

Below is a joystick without dry clutches.

Talking nuclear war, not sure, but quite likely both will survive it more or less intact.

I also own a VKB Gladiator Pro Ml I but that stick sits on the shelf all the time and gets bored to death.

I wouldn't say it is particularly fair to compare a all-in-one WWII-style 200 USD joystick to a prosumer modern/futuristic device coming for twice as much.

Edited by AeroGator

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

• 2 months later...
Thanks for bringing the forum attention to those plastic parts.

They are called dry clutches and sure you don't see them elsewhere. Because it is our own gift to the community - something that VKB designed and made public domain.

Needless to say, those plastic parts are coming in addition, not instead of, steel cams.

Below you can see what it is for.

Below is a joystick without dry clutches.

Talking nuclear war, not sure, but quite likely both will survive it more or less

Thanks.

I ended up getting the base from Virpil. I didn’t know if the 3D printed gimbal for my broken Warthog would work (surprisingly it worked great!) also there was a sale on the Virpil site, and VKB was out of product till April or May.

It was really a toss up. Price wise Virpil was a little cheaper, and it would arrive a sooner than VKB so I went for the t-50 mongoos.

I saw what you mention above with the oscillating movement in the all metal stick. It isn’t distracting for me, but I noticed it. The dry clutch looks interesting. Cool design feature!

Both sticks look to have amazing construction. I really enjoy the VPC base with a Warthog grip. It feels great and has worked flawlessly so far.

I had some issues with the screws. I had to take the base partially apart so I could reverse the direction of the stick. One of the screw heads stripped and I had to drummel the screw head to remove it. I haven’t taken the thing fully apart or replaced any cams yet, but I’m satisfied with the ones that are already in place.

The only downside to the t-50 is the lack of base plate, but I was able to construct one that works well. I may properly mount it to my desk in the future. (I think they will release a model with a base plate at some point as well.)

Over all I really enjoy the Virpil base. It feels fantastic and the spring tension is easily adjusted. It’s a butter smooth flight experience and was a worth while upgrade.

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

I have a Gladiator pro MK1. I installed softer cams (10) and the softest springs (really, they are hard enough, I dont see a point for stiffer ones just to have a strong resistance). Im still getting used to that "metal gimbal" feeling with progressive resitance when moving a stick further away. Im coming from regular Gladiator.

But I do have a question. I noticed that CAMs (after 4 months of use) are a bit "worn" on the part where the gimbals are travelling. Not really a serious wear just a "marks" of travel. Ste stick is working fine but I wonder if this is normal. Should I order a new CAMs? Is it just a covering that is worn so I see "travel marks"?

Edited by Tvrdi

If the Virpil stick had a 4 way + hat at the thumb.

Totally in agreement with you, the t-50 has an amazing base but the stick has a defect don't have 4 way + hat at the thumb. They have focused on being a replica of the original and not on being practical.The vkb stick has 2 versions the normal (the same t-50) and the pro with more buttons.

The reason that the T-50 grip only has the same number of inputs as the Warthog one is that they could not exceed it without losing compatibility with the Warthog base, which was quite important seeing as the grip launched before the base was available.

I would imagine they're working on some more advanced stuff now that the base is out and another is on the way.

I have both the Gunfighter (a Mk1, and a MK2Rev B coming in a week), and the T50 Mongoose. I also have a set of every other Hotas made, several Warthogs, Cougars, every Saitek model from the X36/x45 to the X65, etc. I collect them, that and mechanical keyboards, and have several dozen from other the years.

IMO the VKB and Virpil sticks are the pinnacle of PC gaming sticks. Their gimbals are both excellent, however as others have stated, not without their quirks. Extreme care must be taken on the Virpil cam screws not to strip them (heating them with a blow dryer or better yet a soldering iron for a few minutes per screw is essential). Right out of the box the VKB stick needs to be disassembled somewhat in order to loosen the dry clutches from their factory hard setting.

Both companies are excellent to deal with, they realize they are upstarts in a small market where information is passed at light speed, so negative reviews spread almost as quickly as the positive ones. Virpil has made some great recent strides with their new HQ and that should really improve both QA and speed/etc. VKB has been excellent for me as well, rapidly answering questions, etc. I was one of the early adopters of the first gen of the VKB pedals from Jason Williams before he left VKB.

So far as the OP question, IMO there is really only one major issue that sepeartes the sticks for right now - desktop or desk clamp mount. That's the decision you must make, at least until the Virpil WarBRD comes out. Online WW2 games like Aces high it's an absolute MUST for me to have a desktop unit to plant my arm which I've done for 20 years now, so the T50 is out for that game. However, using VR in DCS I sit further back, and using the incredibly inexpensive yet high quality Virpil desktop clamp mounts is what I do with the T50. So, if you ask me, it's 5/6 and pick em, if you absolutely MUST have a desktop solution for your stick, VKB, for now at least, is probably your path. That said, if you want to use the Virpil mounts, you'll be very happy with the T50.

There are differences as others have stated regarding hats/buttons depending on the model of each stick, but IMO both sticks and all their variants have sufficient and well placed hats/buttons.

IMO the T50 you need to switch the factory installed spring to the lightest one, and either go with the little/no center bump or the cam with the center yet less progressive and increasing resistance. Either work well for me, but the light spring is an absolute MUST IMO. The Gunfighter with the standard factory cam/spring combo has been the best for me.

You simply can't go wrong with either option.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I think availability of the Virpil products is somewhat better for those that means something to.

VKB still tends to run in batches, with a lot of time in between those batches.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For me the decision has fallen. Will be Virpil. I'm afraid that as EU customer there is no other logical choice.

I know that VKB make great products and has a great team for NA and Asia and I'm a bit envious to all outside EU guys but this poor one man show called EU distribution and customer service taking 2 months to migrate a website (announced on valentines day and not complete yet) makes me cry. I can live with getting products later (1 year) than the others, I can also live with delays. But what should I think of such a support. How will I get my spare parts, will I get them at all? Last but not least I'm waiting since three months for an answer if the european store will get the Warthog adapters for the Gunfighter Pro Mk2. Sorry VKB EU, life is too short for this. I would recommend finding a new partner or better partners for the EU sale :music_whistling:

Edited by FSKRipper

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Same for me, VKB looks good and positive but without good customer support and website, I'll choose Virpil.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

Same for me, VKB looks good and positive but without good customer support and website, I'll choose Virpil.

Not a bad choice, I have been very pleased with my Virpil stick and their support and communication has been excellent.

I still have a Gunfighter Pro new in box here I have had for quite some time, still waiting on the MCG Pro grip to become available again. Now with the ongoing reports of button issue where several will show pressed all of a sudden, not even sure now I will get one when it does become available unless they acknowledge and fix the issue.

Sadly though I have already invested a fair amount on the Gunfighter including an extended Monster Tech Mount for it...

In the meantime I have many, many hours of great enjoyment out of my Virpil setup.

:joystick:

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeap, ordered 22 hours ago and already on the way :thumbup:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, VKB has lost the momentum on EU market, which is a shame. Only now I've realized how incredibly lucky I was to get the T-rudder within couple of weeks after I figured I wanted to buy them.

Been waiting for MGC Pro for almost 5 months now and pretty much gave up :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |