Trackir Unplugged/Plugged message... Still!

Did anyone discover a solution to this issue?

I'm suffering from this too, for quite some time now. I have not found a suitable solution yet, but I could reduce how often it happens by trying to not idle too much with TIR (e.g. using pause or take off the reflector). Seems like its some kind of USB standby function that looses conenction to DCS upon activation.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It occurs pretty much as soon as I load in. I have tried USB 2.0, USB 1.0, direct to motherboard, to a powered hub, to a non powered hub, disabling and enabling USB port, uninstalling device and software etc etc etc etc... Only been a problem for 8 months or so, but seems to be getting worse, almost rendering DCS unplayable.

A few months ago, I started having issues with USB devices powering down randomly and not being able to boot them back up. You're all familiar with the Power Options tab on the control panel, but that's not the only place you can find that sort of thing.

Go to your device manager and scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, go through each item you find there one by one, and look for ones that have a power management tab. There's an option in there for powering down devices to save power, make sure they're not selected.

I believe it's a windows update that either reset this crap, or perhaps added it in the first place. All I know is I didn't USED to have that problem, but it started suddenly. Anyway, when I checked this, I found each of my devices had that box checked. After unchecking it, I have not had it happen again.

So, try that. Windows, you should always assume it's stabbing you in the back.... somehow.

• Like 2

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Are you runming any other peripherals? Consoles/control panels/MFDs, etc?

In my pokimg around, it seems to be the TrackIR drivers flaking out and is VERY common. I seem to remember a friend having that problem frequently, and I believe I had it a few times now and then back in the day.

TrackIR is cool, but the guys who make it, NaturalPoint, kind of suck. The system they use hasn't been updated in forever and the camera has a built in processor that I understand hasn't been used since TrackIR 2 or 3 but is still there (that's why it gets so hot), presumably to increase failure rates. I was reading some of their background, they've a reputation for shady business practices and apparently even screwed Lockheed at one point.

The only solution I'm seeing is rebooting the software and unplug/plug the camera. I know that's not what you want to hear lol You must be saying the wrong incantations during bootup ;) I recommend sacrificing some virgins, and as it so happens, we're on a gaming forum...

• Like 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I have had this in the past. My only tip is make sure your track IR is plugged directly into your mother board. Not an extension ie like some front usb sockets are or even a powered hub.

you may have to go round the back of your machine to do this. Also not a USB 3 socket it must be a USB 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TrubshawRN -=SHREK 94=-

Also not a USB 3 socket it must be a USB 2

This is a new one. I haven't tried USB 2 so far. I will do that and see if it helps. Thanks!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Here I thought it was something to do with the Oculus and power settings. I assume you guys don't have an Oculus? I have had this issue for a long time. Seems to always happen at the worst time too, like low altitude turn.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

It's called USB Selective Suspend mode.

If its enabled, Windows can decide to power down a specific USB device to save power.

You can enable or disable the system in Advanced Power Management options in the Windows settings, but reports have been that this one setting often does not disable the setting on all USB controllers/devices.

If you Google it you will find utilities that will take care of it, or as an alternative you can go to Device Management (right click on your Windows Start menu) and check every USB controller's Properties. The selective suspend is a checkbox you can tick.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-E, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 2400Mhz, Intel i7 9700K 5.0Ghz, Asus GTX1080 8GB, SoundBlaster AE-5, G15, Streamdeck, DSD Flight, TM Warthog, VirPil BRD, MFG Crosswind CAM5, TrackIR 5, KW-908 Jetseat, Win 10 64-bit

”Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.

However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore.”

you may have to go round the back of your machine to do this. Also not a USB 3 socket it must be a USB 2

I tried USB 2 now, but it made no difference. The problem still remained, so I plugged it back in to USB 3.

It's called USB Selective Suspend mode.

If its enabled, Windows can decide to power down a specific USB device to save power.

You can enable or disable the system in Advanced Power Management options in the Windows settings, but reports have been that this one setting often does not disable the setting on all USB controllers/devices.

If you Google it you will find utilities that will take care of it, or as an alternative you can go to Device Management (right click on your Windows Start menu) and check every USB controller's Properties. The selective suspend is a checkbox you can tick.

I've seen this advice before in another thread (maybe it was you too there), but didn't want to try it as I didn't really want to disable energy saving for all my USB device as I've got a lot of them and, except TIR, none of them made any problems. Disabling only the USB controller where my TIR is connected to was not an option either as I did not know on which of the 4-5 USB controllers it is connected to... untill now. I just learned that the device manager offers the option to list all devices by connection, so I could see to which USB controller my TIR is connected to and could disable it. I will now see if the problem is gone, but I have high hopes, thanks!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Are you runming any other peripherals? Consoles/control panels/MFDs, e

Good point. A while back I was havin similar issue. Culprit was an xbox controller I had plugged in for another game that I forgot about.

A few months ago, I started having issues with USB devices powering down randomly and not being able to boot them back up. You're all familiar with the Power Options tab on the control panel, but that's not the only place you can find that sort of thing.

Go to your device manager and scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, go through each item you find there one by one, and look for ones that have a power management tab. There's an option in there for powering down devices to save power, make sure they're not selected.

I believe it's a windows update that either reset this crap, or perhaps added it in the first place. All I know is I didn't USED to have that problem, but it started suddenly. Anyway, when I checked this, I found each of my devices had that box checked. After unchecking it, I have not had it happen again.

So, try that. Windows, you should always assume it's stabbing you in the back.... somehow.

This also worked for me.

Edited by Chic

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 2 months later...

I think after months of trying to figure out what is disconnecting all the time, I have finally solved it. Turns out Oculus was the disconnecting device and....well microsucks and their thinking they know my computer better than I.

Even with USB suspend disabled, and even going through every single USB power management and unselecting the option to "allow windows to turn off to save power" I was constantly getting USB devices dropping. I would watch event viewer and wouldn't see anything at the same time the "audible" ding of a device dropping.

Finally tonight event viewer had something, and with a google search I was lead to the oculus forums. https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/42165/breakthrough-for-many-issues-usermodepowerservice

So those who are getting those annoying USB drops, try the suggestion in the link and see if the issues goes away. Seems Windows wants to override even your settings, it's worth a shot.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 1 month later...

So in anticipation of the FA-18, I have done some work around my problem.

I have:

*Uninstalled DCS

*Cleaned all trackir and controller files and folders

*Uninstalled trackir software and unplugged the camera

*Cleaned the registry to remove traces of trackir

*Reinstalled DCS

*Fired up DCS clean install (both 2.5 and Open Beta)

*Received the dreaded trackir plugged/unplugged message.....

The camera is not even plugged into the pc and the software is completely removed FFS!

Did you make any modifications to Track Ir that maybe be in Saved Games?

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

This issue is much bigger than just TrackIR and it is not TrackIR's fault.

For some, it affects many other USB devices - gaming devices used in DCS, but also affects USB hard disks, and other non-gaming devices for non-gamers. For many, it causes DCS to lock up or pause for several seconds when the USB devices reinitialize. It is both a Windows problem introduced in the summer of 2016 with the major update that summer from Microsoft, as well as a DCS problem because that same summer, ED introduced the ability to hot-plug USB devices while DCS is still running (a useful feature, but....). The lockups in DCS occur because DCS sees that a DirectX reset has occurred for one of a variety of reasons and DCS halts operation momentarily while it re-discovers and initializes all USB game controllers. It is a _very_ serious problem for those that have it. I have stopped playing DCS because of it.

For a more clear discovery of all the possible causes and solutions, see this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170322

I suggest reading from the last post backward or start around the 5th or 6th page and go forward where the better information starts, but read all of it before jumping to conclusions.

So far no reliable solution has been found short of wiping and reinstalling your OS and drivers (and that isn't 100% proven yet). That is my next step. It can also be caused by a hardware problem, like your front panel headphone or mic jacks having faulty wiring, or bad switches, which cause jack insert/removal events which causes a DirectX reinit. I have 100% reproduced the issue with DCS locking up and devices re-initializing by using DxDiag or other gaming device software (like simFFB) to cause a DirectX re-init. The windows power down issue causes it because the USB device goes into power save mode and that causes DirectX to re-init, or DCS to re-init because it noticed a change in the USB device list. This is a direct result of ED adding the ability to hot swap game controllers, so it is completely within their ability to solve this issue. It is possible to support hot swapping of game controllers without the lockups we see in DCS. It is as if DCS halts all interrupts, or goes into a loop that does not handle game sim updates while it re-inits the controllers.

USBLogView by Nirsoft has been useful for investigating the problem. As yet, though, no one solution has solved the problem for everyone. ED needs to make a change to DCS at minimum because although this was introduced by Microsoft's power down feature, the problem in DCS is that DCS reacts poorly to the situation. I.E. There are many causes of the issue, but for DCS users there is one result - disconnect/reconnects cause the TrackIR issue, and/or it causes DCS to momentarily lock up. I have even seen DCS re-inits reinitialize FFB joysticks which is a huge problem as it resets force trim in helicopters, for example.

I've seen Windows causes re-inits on my gaming devices while in other games which use game controllers, but no other game I use has the issue like DCS has.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Drakoz. Good to note that it is a shared issue with DCS and Windows. Hopefully a decent resolution will accidentally happen in a future update of one or the other.....

This issue is much bigger than just TrackIR and it is not TrackIR's fault.

For some, it affects many other USB devices - gaming devices used in DCS, but also affects USB hard disks, and other non-gaming devices for non-gamers. For many, it causes DCS to lock up or pause for several seconds when the USB devices reinitialize. It is both a Windows problem introduced in the summer of 2016 with the major update that summer from Microsoft, as well as a DCS problem because that same summer, ED introduced the ability to hot-plug USB devices while DCS is still running (a useful feature, but....). The lockups in DCS occur because DCS sees that a DirectX reset has occurred for one of a variety of reasons and DCS halts operation momentarily while it re-discovers and initializes all USB game controllers. It is a _very_ serious problem for those that have it. I have stopped playing DCS because of it.

For a more clear discovery of all the possible causes and solutions, see this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170322

I suggest reading from the last post backward or start around the 5th or 6th page and go forward where the better information starts, but read all of it before jumping to conclusions.

So far no reliable solution has been found short of wiping and reinstalling your OS and drivers (and that isn't 100% proven yet). That is my next step. It can also be caused by a hardware problem, like your front panel headphone or mic jacks having faulty wiring, or bad switches, which cause jack insert/removal events which causes a DirectX reinit. I have 100% reproduced the issue with DCS locking up and devices re-initializing by using DxDiag or other gaming device software (like simFFB) to cause a DirectX re-init. The windows power down issue causes it because the USB device goes into power save mode and that causes DirectX to re-init, or DCS to re-init because it noticed a change in the USB device list. This is a direct result of ED adding the ability to hot swap game controllers, so it is completely within their ability to solve this issue. It is possible to support hot swapping of game controllers without the lockups we see in DCS. It is as if DCS halts all interrupts, or goes into a loop that does not handle game sim updates while it re-inits the controllers.

USBLogView by Nirsoft has been useful for investigating the problem. As yet, though, no one solution has solved the problem for everyone. ED needs to make a change to DCS at minimum because although this was introduced by Microsoft's power down feature, the problem in DCS is that DCS reacts poorly to the situation. I.E. There are many causes of the issue, but for DCS users there is one result - disconnect/reconnects cause the TrackIR issue, and/or it causes DCS to momentarily lock up. I have even seen DCS re-inits reinitialize FFB joysticks which is a huge problem as it resets force trim in helicopters, for example.

I've seen Windows causes re-inits on my gaming devices while in other games which use game controllers, but no other game I use has the issue like DCS has.

If ED would remove the hot swap, would that not only mean that the devices would not reconnect after they for some reson gets disconnected? I don't see how DCS could prevent usb devices from disconnecting. You are not overloading one or more of your usb ports? Overloading causes them to go offline, I have had that happening with wireless dongles connected to a usb hub.

Skickat från min D5503 via Tapatalk

here's a weird one I get. If I have, say 4 devices on my network, doesn't matter if hard wired or on wifi, and one gets turned off during DCS, I lose my TIR in game (TIR unplugged message). As soon as that device reconnects to the network, my TIR will come back on (TIR plugged in message). It only happens during DCS, my other sim titles don't do this.

I noticed it when my lady turned off my home theater receiver and I lost the TIR. I told her to turn it back on, and TIR came back on. Also, if I Start DCS and it doesn't recognize my TIR, i'll just go over and turn on the receiver and then i'll get the (TIR plugged in) message in DCS. My receiver is on my network via CAT5.

If ED would remove the hot swap, would that not only mean that the devices would not reconnect after they for some reson gets disconnected? I don't see how DCS could prevent usb devices from disconnecting. You are not overloading one or more of your usb ports? Overloading causes them to go offline, I have had that happening with wireless dongles connected to a usb hub.

I am only advocating that ED rethink how they acquire and initialize game controllers, not remove the hot swap feature. The issue was created when ED added the hot swap feature, though.

The hot swap feature is critically important I believe. But there is a way to acquire and initialize game controllers that should not cause the game to lock up. Getting a TrackIR disconnect/reconnect message isn't what bother's me because my TrackIR seems to continue working fine. But having DCS lock up for 2-4 seconds is a disaster. I can't play multiplayer with my mates because I become a liability for example.

I've done DirectInput (DirectX) game controller programming, and I know it is possible to do hot swapping without bringing the came to it's knees. Most other games allow hot swapping, but don't come to a halt for a few seconds when they see a change in the controller list (caused by the Windows problem).

As for overloading USB ports - yes that is one of the many proven causes of this issue. I have an 8 port USB hub, for example, that I have overloaded, and it would sporadically reset because the power demand exceeded the hub's capacity. But I have also proven that the issue I have in DCS occurs even when I unplugged all USB hubs and devices, and only had a keyboard and mouse plugged into the motherboard's main (non-hub) USB ports. I think I even ran DCS with just the keyboard, no mouse. Yet, I still got lockups in DCS.