Will be possible to keep 1.5.8 on Steam after 2.5 release?

Eviscerador

I'm currently enjoying DCS World with my computer, which can run the game at med settings no problem.

With the new upgrade to 2.5, my computer can't run it. 15 min loading time and slideshow even at bare minimum settings.

So my question is simple: Will I be able to keep 1.5.8 in Steam so I can keep playing the game?

Or should I switch to Stand alone which I hope will keep 1.5.8 as a separate installation and I can keep playing DCS that way?

Thanks in advance!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm currently enjoying DCS World with my computer, which can run the game at med settings no problem.

With the new upgrade to 2.5, my computer can't run it. 15 min loading time and slideshow even at bare minimum settings.

So my question is simple: Will I be able to keep 1.5.8 in Steam so I can keep playing the game?

Or should I switch to Stand alone which I hope will keep 1.5.8 as a separate installation and I can keep playing DCS that way?

Thanks in advance!

I'd also like to know if this will be possible. From what I can see, Steam only allows you to delay updates until the next launch of the game. You can't disable updates anymore?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

There is some choice on what version of DCS to use via Steam. From the properties tab, you can chose what version you want to install.

Even though this post was in reply to a slightly different question, it provides a description on how to change the DCS version:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3365658#post3365658

Note that by the time the screenshot was taken, there had been different options. Now you have there a 1.5.6 and a 1.5.8.

Cheers.

Edit:

And to answer the question of Eviscerador:

Though not 100% sure, I assume the last stable 1.5.x will be kept as a legacy version. Right now you can still use the 1.2.16, wich I would interpret as indicator, that the 1.5.x will be kept. For the forseeable future at least.

Edited by Arsonist

• 2 weeks later...
There is some choice on what version of DCS to use via Steam. From the properties tab, you can chose what version you want to install.

Even though this post was in reply to a slightly different question, it provides a description on how to change the DCS version:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3365658#post3365658

Note that by the time the screenshot was taken, there had been different options. Now you have there a 1.5.6 and a 1.5.8.

Cheers.

Edit:

And to answer the question of Eviscerador:

Though not 100% sure, I assume the last stable 1.5.x will be kept as a legacy version. Right now you can still use the 1.2.16, wich I would interpret as indicator, that the 1.5.x will be kept. For the forseeable future at least.

Yah, thanks, I see that in there (1.5.8 Final). When you choose it now, it shows up in the left side games panel (beside DCS World) but changes back each time you log out of Steam. Hopefully that changes once 2.5 is officially released.

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

@ aleader

I've just checked the behaviour you reported, but am not able to reproduce it.

When I change to the 1.5.8, starting from open beta, they get switched. Same thing when I change back to open beta (however, it is still downloading OB). At any one time I have only one version of DCS in the library.

Did you maybe follow the description, that is somewhere in this forum, which allows to have multiple DCS versions installed in parallel via Steam?

Because usually Steam exchanges one version against the other, normally you should not be able to install multiple at once.

Edited by Arsonist
Typo

@ aleader

I've just checked the behaviour you reported, but am not able to reproduce it.

When I change to the 1.5.8, starting from open beta, they get switched. Same thing when I change back to open beta (however, it is still downloading OB). At any one time I have only one version of DCS in the library.

Did you maybe follow the description, that is somewhere in this forum, which allows to have multiple DCS versions installed in parallel via Steam?

Because usually Steam exchanges one version against the other, normally you schould not be able to install multiple at once.

No, I should be more clear. The 'label' that says '1.5.8 final' beside DCS World in the list disappears, but probably because I'm only running 1.5.8 now. It also switches back to 'opt out' in the Beta list. I assume that once 2.5 is out when you switch to 1.5.8 final, it should stay at that instead of automatically d/l 2.5.

To Keep 1.5.8, copy/paste the steamapps/common/DCS World/ folder and rename /DCS World Legacy/ and Create a Separate shortcut.

Then allow Steam to update the /DCS World/ to 2.5

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

To Keep 1.5.8, copy/paste the steamapps/common/DCS World/ folder and rename /DCS World Legacy/ and Create a Separate shortcut.

Then allow Steam to update the /DCS World/ to 2.5

So you won't be able to just pick 1.5.8 in the 'properties' tab? This will leave you with 2 installs then correct?

I've noticed an improvement with the latest 2.5 patch, but it still looks as though it's using more than 8GB system ram (around 12GB on mine), which means I'd have to toss my 8GB and get 16 (DDR3, only two slots). Not sure if I'm willing to do that for only one game.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

It is actually possible to just keep playing 1.5.8 in Steam. Just go to Properties => beta tab and select 1.5.x final version, which will install the final build of the 1.5.8 version.

Good news for Steam users with potato PCs!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]