Hybrid-Helios & the Hornet

BluFinBima

I’m not sure whether this will be of any interest, but under the heading of sharing alternative techniques, I thought I’d start a thread and see if any discussion results.

This is a short story of my project to have a wireless (apart from power) UFC for the Hornet.

I would love to have a full Simpit for every aircraft – who wouldn’t – but space / time / money all conspire against this. I personally feel that there is more immersion from the sensation of real switches, knobs etc, but compromises are part of life. I presume that if you're in this area of the forum that you probably agree with me.

I wanted a mix of a virtual cockpit and some real devices so I wrote a native F/A-18C interface for Helios, and I started a project to create a hardware Up Front Controller. This is what I am presenting here. While the 3D printed UFC enclosure is very rough, hopefully you’ll get the idea of what I am doing. The UFC just has power going to it, and it has the potential to drive future parts of the cockpit via i2c (I am aware of the limitations and potential problems with the approach of using i2c, but it seems reliable in my set up). The UFC is controlled by an ESP32 board to get me the direct pins and interrupts that I needed for the encoders. Because there is only a single power connecter to the UFC, it means that it can be removed from the set up extremely quickly. Likewise, the Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs are also very easy to remove as they simply hang from the top of the screen, primarily to allow hiding of the USB cables. I rotated the rocker switches and 3D printed the hangers so the MFDs sit over the top corners of the 23 inch Dell touch screen.

ufc2A.JPG

The UFC itself is pretty simple using DLG2416 displays (I like the dots). Unfortunately these do not have any programmable characters, but the result is OK IMHO. I would have preferred 16 and 7 segment displays, but I could not find suitable devices. The Comm Channel displays are 16 segment LED displays driven by the same Holtek HT16K33 that reads the keys and switches. Other things I would change if I ever revised the UFC design would be to replace the 2 x volumes and the brightness knob with potentiometers and put an i2c ADC onto the board – but I am happy enough with the encoders in the current design that I’m not planning to do this.

I’m going to put a third Cougar MFD in for the AMPCD, but I’m still considering how I can do this while keeping the mounting discrete.

The History of this Project

I started out many years ago with the A-10C and Loz’s profile for Helios which was a a great place to start. After a while, I built a real caution panel based on the Holtek HT16K33 which was driven by an Arduino Pro Micro which communicated via a serial connection to a c# program which talked to DCS. Over time, the A-10C parts grew a bit and I had CMSC, CMSP, UFC, NMSP and a few other panels.

The EOS project was a little too complex for my needs, and while DCS-BIOS is a fantastic option, for a number of reasons, I have chosen to stick with my own technology.

Fast forward a few years, and the Pro Micro and c# program were replaced by an ESP8266 with more memory so that it had the capacity to do all of the parsing needed and the wifi communication allowed direct connection to the DCS exports.lua.

When the Hornet came out, I decided that I again wanted to have a hybrid Helios cockpit, but I have always taken the view that offloading as much work from my DCS PC so that it can concentrate resources on DCS, was a good thing. Since I always have access to under-utilised PCs, I wanted the virtual cockpit to be on a remote machine like I had with the A-10C. Unfortunately this ruled out Capt Zeen’s Hornet profile because it uses keyboard commands which appear on the wrong PC, and the use of the A-10C Helios interface requires a lot of processing in the exports.lua on the DCS machine.

Most of this project is already available on GitHub at /BlueFinBima/DCS-FA18C-UFC although this is not necessarily the best place for some of the files. I’m happy to make 3D parts visible on Fusion 360 on request. Schematics etc are Eagle format.

I apologise for the long post, and I hope that some of you found some interest in this.

BlueFinBima

Latest Helios Virtual Cockpit Team version of Helios can be found on Github

BlueFinBima Helios YouTube

Nice. This is great. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing all that good stuff.

Feeling already bad, but any chance you could split the PCB Frame into two parts, so the Bottom and Top can be printed separate? I probably mess up the splitting and then the print will be wasted ;-).

Again, Thanks :thumbup:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Nice. This is great. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing all that good stuff.

Feeling already bad, but any chance you could split the PCB Frame into two parts, so the Bottom and Top can be printed separate? I probably mess up the splitting and then the print will be wasted ;-).

Again, Thanks :thumbup:

Hi Gruman,

The frame is actually in three parts, a thin facia, and a top and a bottom. UFC%20Model%20Picture.jpg

BlueFinBima

Hmm, need to recheck it then. But downloaded the package from Github and the Frame top & bot were in the same step file above each other.

You dont have any PCB for sale, right? Ordering those is not a problem, but if you have couple laying arround, you get some money back.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR

Hmm, need to recheck it then. But downloaded the package from Github and the Frame top & bot were in the same step file above each other.

You dont have any PCB for sale, right? Ordering those is not a problem, but if you have couple laying arround, you get some money back.

Hi Gruman,

I'll check the step files, I might have made a mistake while saving. I do have a few spare PCBs (there are two that are needed for the UFC) IMG_20190326_081740.jpg?raw=true .

If you're serious about trying this, then I am happy to donate the boards if postage & packing is paid.

Cheers, Neil

BlueFinBima

Thats very generous. Where are you located?

Yeah, I'm serious. The electronic part is not an obstacle, since I'm working in electronics. The hard part for me will be the 3d printing, since our company printer often just makes a mess ^^.

Thanks

Thats very generous. Where are you located?

Yeah, I'm serious. The electronic part is not an obstacle, since I'm working in electronics. The hard part for me will be the 3d printing, since our company printer often just makes a mess ^^.

Thanks

Hi Gruman,

I am in the UK. I'll PM you when I get a chance to dig out the boards and work out the postage.

3D printing is pretty messy for me too, but I don't really have any viable alternatives. This was my first filament move from PLA to PET-G and I had less warping and shrinkage as a result however the finish is still scrappy.

If you have a Fusion 360 ID, I'm happy to give you access to the models.

Cheers, Neil

BlueFinBima

I've put the STL's that I used for my UFC onto GitHub.

Hornet UFC Back.stl

Hornet UFC Facia.stl

Hornet UFC Frame.stl

BlueFinBima

Very nice Blue.

Inspiration to get a workbench setup again.

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

• 4 weeks later...

Blue, great project!

As I'm on this road as well (putting MFDs on a touch screen), I'm curious to know how you overcome the issue that directly mounted MFDs always triggers the touch screen. In my setup that currently renders the touch screen useless.

So I'm thinking of a mounting frame wich gives the MFDs some spare above the touchscreen, so that they are kinda 'hovering'.

Or is it possible to put them directly on the screen without interfering the touch funtionality?

How did you solved this problem?

Blue, great project!

As I'm on this road as well (putting MFDs on a touch screen), I'm curious to know how you overcome the issue that directly mounted MFDs always triggers the touch screen. In my setup that currently renders the touch screen useless.

So I'm thinking of a mounting frame wich gives the MFDs some spare above the touchscreen, so that they are kinda 'hovering'.

Or is it possible to put them directly on the screen without interfering the touch funtionality?

How did you solved this problem?

Hi Rightstuff, I thought it was going to be a problem before I started out, but it never has been. They sit very happily on the touchscreen, and don't interfere. My Dell monitor has a capacitive sensor. The MFDs are already pretty thick, so Adding more height would not be great if you view at an angle.

BlueFinBima

• 2 weeks later...

Received the PCB from China yesterday. Ready to order the parts to assemble.

The BOM of the UFC doesnt declare what key / encoder / display was used. Do you have partnumbers for those? Or were they bought all of Ebay?

Thanks

Comms channel displays are https://uk.farnell.com/kingbright/psc05-11cgkwa/display-alphanumeric-12-7mm-green/dp/2373489?st=16-segment and the other displays are DLG2416's from e-bay. Keys are standard Cherry MX / Gateron, and Encoders are ALPS EC11E18244A5 (for the switched) and the non-switched version from the EC11 range.

There are a few wiring adjustments needed for the comms channel encoders and at least one other minor fix if you've made exactly the same board that I fabricated.

BlueFinBima

Yeah, fabricated the same way. Didnt want to convert everything into Kicad just to adapt some nets. If you have an updated schematics with the changes, that would be great. But no hurry. School starts again next week and my free time will be limited.

Very cool project blu, that is what my end goal looks like for my UFC. Love the functional displays.

For interest sake how many of the DLG2416's did you end up using to fill out all of the displays??

I will have to sit down at my PC and dig a little deeper into your githib when I am not on mobile and trying to be a dad at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

They sit very happily on the touchscreen, and don't interfere. My Dell monitor has a capacitive sensor.

That seems to be the solution: Capacitive sensor for the touch screen.

Mine reacts even when I touch it with a pencil. Obviously too old or too cheap quality...

Very cool project blu, that is what my end goal looks like for my UFC. Love the functional displays.

For interest sake how many of the DLG2416's did you end up using to fill out all of the displays??

I will have to sit down at my PC and dig a little deeper into your githib when I am not on mobile and trying to be a dad at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I use eight DLG2416 for the UFC although I mask a single digit of the scratchpad so only 11 characters are seen.

BlueFinBima

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. I’m seriously interested in your F-18 hardware UFC project. I’m planning on picking up a 3D printer next month and would love to piggyback on your design layout. I’m a novice but, I’ve got a good buddy at work who’s an electronics pro with significant experience in PBB builds and he’s agreed to help me learn the process. BTW Blue, your auto Helios IFEI and UFC profiles were exactly what I need for my modest pit. (see below). But, a quick question. Do you have a suggestion for rendering the graphic overlay for the “RWR”. I’ve got the green “N” and other radar contacts showing but, I can’t seem to get the Threat Range Rings to render. Your thoughts would be appreciated. All-in-all, it a fantastic piece of work. Also look forward to your progress on your UFC. I’ll be following with keen interest.

20190519_111032.thumb.jpg.65d3cb4bb1fc4c5b16df6d73b48e9904.jpg

Yeah. I’m seriously interested in your F-18 hardware UFC project. I’m planning on picking up a 3D printer next month and would love to piggyback on your design layout. I’m a novice but, I’ve got a good buddy at work who’s an electronics pro with significant experience in PBB builds and he’s agreed to help me learn the process. BTW Blue, your auto Helios IFEI and UFC profiles were exactly what I need for my modest pit. (see below). But, a quick question. Do you have a suggestion for rendering the graphic overlay for the “RWR”. I’ve got the green “N” and other radar contacts showing but, I can’t seem to get the Threat Range Rings to render. Your thoughts would be appreciated. All-in-all, it a fantastic piece of work. Also look forward to your progress on your UFC. I’ll be following with keen interest.

Hi Mike, your pit is looking pretty good already. Well done. Looking forward to seeing how you get on with your build.

The RWR does not have threat rings as exported by DCS. Think of them as being a feature of the glass that sits over the top of the display. If you take a look at the RWR on Capt Zeen's Hornet profile, you'll see that while mostly transparent, the RWR does have faint rings on the image (panel_main_16_10.png).

Cheers, Blue

BlueFinBima