Helios 1.4 - Taking to the Skys Once Again

If anyone who uses Helios, is interested in creating a single MonitorSetup.lua for all of their modules, I started a new thread specifically for that purpose here. Hopefully I can get this working?

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=266243

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya know,, last week (after a couple of weeks of figuring this all out) I finally got everything dialed in and configured, I hopped into my F-18 and BAM,,, away I went. Looking around outside of the cockpit, the terrain was choppy,,,chop chop chop,,, all the way home LOL. I wasnt laughing then. I threw in the towel, ripped out my 2nd monitor, and just kept the 38" single screen, which is smooth as butter by the way.

What alot of time & frustration,, I wasn't expecting such a result. I do applaud the efforts by others. This is a fantastic addon. I wish you all well. Thanks for the support.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Helios Project

Nice work all developers on this project. I dabbled a little several years back, I look forward to dabbling again with this Beta release.

Thanks again

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AA_Slautter

Dell XPS 8935|I-7 8700K|GTX 1070 Ti|16GB Ram|TM WH|SAITEK PRO PEDALS|TM COUGAR PANELS|7280X1440

Ya know,, last week (after a couple of weeks of figuring this all out) I finally got everything dialed in and configured, I hopped into my F-18 and BAM,,, away I went. Looking around outside of the cockpit, the terrain was choppy,,,chop chop chop,,, all the way home LOL. I wasnt laughing then. I threw in the towel, ripped out my 2nd monitor, and just kept the 38" single screen, which is smooth as butter by the way.

What alot of time & frustration,, I wasn't expecting such a result. I do applaud the efforts by others. This is a fantastic addon. I wish you all well. Thanks for the support.

Fakum: You seem to know your stuff. Any chance you could spend a little time telling me more details about your experience? I work on Helios and I have a rig similar to you (a little faster *brag*) so I can reproduce what you are seeing if we can get to the details. Then I would try to do something about it by improving the performance.

I will send a PM also with contact info.

You give me alot of credit derammo :}. I certainly am willing to give it a go if you are. I just presumed my stuttering was due to the demand of my main screen running at 3840 x 1600 @ 120hz. (which again runs smooth with just using it in DCS). I will respond to your PM, thanks.

Newb Question

hi there guys, first of all, thank you to all the devs of this mod it has been a game-changer for me.

however, I have a few questions...

first, let me preface this by saying that I have not read all the pages of this forum, I just haven't had the time, if they have been answered just link me :) sorry for not reading it all

I have 2 questions:

can I resize the f14 template to cut out gauges I don't want/need on my screen

looking for something like this

oGDwxL1.png

also, I see in the editor there are, a10,f18,f16 av8b etc gauges, is there/will there be an f14 pack of gauges coming out soon?

sorry for my newbness in this post, hopefully, I haven't annoyed you too much, looking forward to your reply :)

Tomcat, Tomcat über allen

Resizing F-14 Profile

Hi @PSYKOnz,

Thanks for your positive comments.

The answer to your high level question is yes, it is possible to make panels within a profile smaller / bigger. If you group the items and hold the shift key while resizing, you should be able to retain the correct aspect ratio. Particular gauges / controls can be deleted with the delete key.

However.... resizing the background image is probably best done outside of Helios, and certain controls are likely to be on panels or sub panels, some of the controls you'll want and some you won't, which will also possibly require some careful attention. So care will be required.

I would suggest that you practise on a profile which is less complex than Captain Zeen's F14 profile.

Cheers BlueFin

BlueFinBima

Latest Helios Virtual Cockpit Team version of Helios can be found on Github

BlueFinBima Helios YouTube

sounds good to me I will give it a go :) is there a pack of f14 gauges and dials somewhere that i can use to make a custom one or am I limited to zeens profile?

The F14 doesn't have good native Helios support, so your best bet is to take Capt Zeen's profile and cut things out of it to make the thing you want to build.

Awesome. thank you all for your help with this, this program has changed the way I play DCS for the better, I have a sim-pit based on the f14, It's still a WIP but at this stage, I have the ACM, left upright and right upright panels sorted, I'm slowly working my way back through the switches, I also have a screen which is very close to the right size for gauges and the like, I will soon be upgrading that to one that is pretty much perfect but the quarantine has delayed it somewhat. the small issue that I had with Capt Zeens template was that it made everything too small for my pit, after your help I was able to modify the profile to make it fit pretty well into my pit (when the new monitor comes along it will be spot on) I'm deliriously happy with it.

here's what it looks like now

C9WhSbX.png

I sincerely hope that what I have done is on and has not breached any rules or regulations. if I have I am deeply sorry, this small tweak to capt Zeen's mind-blowingly good template has made the whole helios experience even better than it was, which was brilliant from the start

so thank you a million times over BluFinBima, Capt Zeen and the other developers and contributions to this program, you have done an amazing job and brought a lot of joy to this tomcat nut.

many safe returns :)

hi guys!

i install HELIOS today. but i have a problem

i have laptop and a monitor.

if i use laptop monitor as a primary, and second monitor for helios, there is no problem

But

i want to use second monitor as primary monitor. i changed settings.

helios is getting data and mfd, rwr vs perfectly, i can hear aircraft sound but no screen change and aircraft is on same point

i shared videos on that link https://photos.app.goo.gl/jkDQoHB4FVtD3XxX8

can you help me

hi guys!

i install HELIOS today. but i have a problem

i have laptop and a monitor.

if i use laptop monitor as a primary, and second monitor for helios, there is no problem

But

i want to use second monitor as primary monitor. i changed settings.

helios is getting data and mfd, rwr vs perfectly, i can hear aircraft sound but no screen change and aircraft is on same point

i shared videos on that link https://photos.app.goo.gl/jkDQoHB4FVtD3XxX8

can you help me

sounds like you just don't have the monitor setup right. Please join the Capt Zeen discord and discuss in the #viewports-support channel, because this sort of thing tends to require multiple rounds of interaction

https://discord.gg/87xampz

• 2 weeks later...
ok, seeing as I can't find one how do I go about building a spitfire one? as far as I can see there are no ww2 style gauges, in terms of look or units, is there a way to fake it? lol

You can create your own custom gauges if you can draw/find/steal the images required. However, the bigger challenge may be to create the exports for it, since Helios does not come with an interface for the Spitfire. You would have to use the Generic interface and feed it the information using export.lua code that you write yourself. It isn't at all simple.

ok, seeing as I can't find one how do I go about building a spitfire one? as far as I can see there are no ww2 style gauges, in terms of look or units, is there a way to fake it? lol

Look at Ikarus....it has profiles for all the www2 birds

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Any chance the helios authors could add support for this?

https://www.siminnovations.com/hardware/product/57-knobster

It's a rotary dial for touch interfaces. I use it in Xplane and it really helps make touch interfaces much easier to use. I use a 24" touch panel below my main monitors for helios in DCS and AirManager in Xplane and love the way it works.

Look at Ikarus....it has profiles for all the www2 birds

Will do, what exactly is it? Another Helios type program? It’s a pity Helios dosent have a profile for them, kind of don’t like having loads of different programs for similar things lol but I’m interested to see what it can do

Will do, what exactly is it? Another Helios type program? It’s a pity Helios dosent have a profile for them, kind of don’t like having loads of different programs for similar things lol but I’m interested to see what it can do

It is similar to Helios, in some way worse in some other way better.

Anyway the stock profile in ikarus already work quite well.

Captzeen profile for Helios on the other hand are real masterpieces.

I have a basic understanding of how ikarus works and how to make profiles.

In Helios i can't understand to much things and there is no documentation.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

It is similar to Helios, in some way worse in some other way better.

Anyway the stock profile in ikarus already work quite well.

Captzeen profile for Helios on the other hand are real masterpieces.

I have a basic understanding of how ikarus works and how to make profiles.

In Helios i can't understand to much things and there is no documentation.

You should say "I have not found documentation." Please don't spread misinformation. There are:

- the users guide (ok out of date, but it introduces how things work)

- a growing wiki for up to date stuff

- a support community in the Capt Zeen discord

Sorry here are links:

- Users guide is installed together with Helios, or you can get one here:

https://github.com/BlueFinBima/Helios/blob/master/Helios/_Documents/Helios%20Release%201.4%20Users%20Guide.pdf

- The wiki right now is being populated with things that aren't documented elsewhere. So when someone asks a question that should have been in the docs, I tend to write a short wiki page for it for the future. I have not imported the entire user guide into wiki yet.

https://github.com/BlueFinBima/Helios/wiki

- Capt Zeen discord is where we hang out and answer questions

https://discord.gg/KHmkTXe

Cheers,

derammo

Edited by derammo

Yeah at least they called it Ikarus, to make it absolutely clear they are reimplementing Helios instead of contributing to Helios.