Time interval between releasing LG weapons on multiple targets?

imacken

Is there a correct strategy for releasing multiple laser guided weapons, e.g. AGM-65E, so that the laser adjusts to different targets allowing them to be hit in one pass?

I have tried allowing about 15 seconds between each release, but that often isn't enough.

Is there a rule of thumb here?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Laser guided weapons need the target to be illuminated until impact, so whether you can release multiple weapons on the same pass or not is determined by that time frame (locate target, lase, lock weapon, release, impact, locate second target, lase etc..)

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Yes, but the subsequent weapons redirect in flight if the first target is hit.

What I am wondering is, what is the guideline on releasing multiple weapons to allow the laser and the weapon to adjust after the impact on the initial target.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

What I am wondering is, what is the guideline on releasing multiple weapons to allow the laser and the weapon to adjust after the impact on the initial target.

There is no baseline, that just isn't done IRL. You attack only one target per pass with LGBs.

There is no baseline, that just isn't done IRL. You attack only one target per pass with LGBs.

Hmm, interesting. Why is that? The uncertainty of impact time?

Certainly works ok in DCS as long as you leave sufficient time between firing to allow the previous weapon to hit the target and the laser adjust to the next target.

I've tested this before and it is verry interesting how much the time to impact depends on altitude, speed, vertical angle and distance.

I have a track attached where 7 targets are hit in one pass.

I know this can't be how it works IRL but is was fun to achieve those hits. And they look great from the JTAC too.

I'm sure this is not the possible "high score" though ;)

FA-18C GBU-12 7xTargets 1xAttack 02.trk

There probably is no actual ''limitation'' on doing so, but the idea usually with lgbs is precision strikes on a single target, or multiple targets in one flight (say a bridge here, a munitions dump there, a tank here) each with near 100% kill certainty. For striking multiple targets in an area, at least nowadays, they would use gps/ins guided weapons they can all be released simultaneously and self guide to the targets.

The issue with dropping a string of lgbs then trying to guide them on the fly is going to be related to the high risk of collateral damage if the pilot isn't fast enough, gets shot down, etc, resulting in large numbers of deadly munitions going rogue and landing god knows where.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

And as you can see, separation between several bombs is not trivial. If you wait x seconds between trigger pressing you should not expect that there are x seconds between the explosions. To get the separation you need, you have to do more than just count seconds, as you can see in my track above.

There probably is no actual ''limitation'' on doing so, but the idea usually with lgbs is precision strikes on a single target, or multiple targets in one flight (say a bridge here, a munitions dump there, a tank here) each with near 100% kill certainty. For striking multiple targets in an area, at least nowadays, they would use gps/ins guided weapons they can all be released simultaneously and self guide to the targets.

The issue with dropping a string of lgbs then trying to guide them on the fly is going to be related to the high risk of collateral damage if the pilot isn't fast enough, gets shot down, etc, resulting in large numbers of deadly munitions going rogue and landing god knows where.

That makes perfect sense. I've been using Wag's practice missions, and they tend to involve several targets very close to each other.

And as you can see, separation between several bombs is not trivial. If you wait x seconds between trigger pressing you should not expect that there are x seconds between the explosions. To get the separation you need, you have to do more than just count seconds, as you can see in my track above.

Yes, exactly that as there are various factors to take into account, like speed of the plane, height etc. to take into account. Because it isn't straightforward, that's why I asked the question!

Doesn't it depend solely on the controller pointing his laser where he wants and with the correct code?

So you could theoretically have more than one laser source pointing to different targets with different codes and your weapons will find their mark in one pass f they're using the correct codes, even if they're released simultaneously. Or you can have one controller shift his laser once target is eliminated.

Or you can have one controller shift his laser once target is eliminated.

That's how it works in my experience as we've been saying.

Whenever one target is destroyed the laser automatically moves to the next target and the weapons divert in flight. However, if you release the weapons too quickly after each other, the laser and weapon don't have enough time to divert, and the weapons can land anywhere.

As long as you leave enough time between releases, it works fine. It's judging that time that I am asking about.

Seems that there is no reliable rule of thumb which surprises me. I thought there would have been something that relates to aircraft speed, height, weapon type etc.

Doesn't it depend solely on the controller pointing his laser where he wants and with the correct code?

So you could theoretically have more than one laser source pointing to different targets with different codes and your weapons will find their mark in one pass f they're using the correct codes, even if they're released simultaneously. Or you can have one controller shift his laser once target is eliminated.

If you manage to get a good separation it might work. If targets are close to each other designating the next one could be hard after a first explosion though. And if the targets are too far away from the initial one, getting the right release point(s) could be a challenge.

In DCS none of the above seems to be a problem for hitting multiple targets.

As long as you leave enough time between releases, it works fine. It's judging that time that I am asking about.

It is quite hard to get from the time between two bomb releases to the time between their impacts because it can easily happen that the second one passes the first. I went over this by reducing speed and increasing the vertical velocity while releasing multiple GBUs but as I said, this never felt "authentic". Just an experiment to show what DCS can do. Not RL.

I think in RL when you work with a JTAC who lases for you, you don‘t fire another Laser Maverick before the first one has hit. To assume the second one will catch the shifted laser illumination after the first target is destroyed is rather risky. That is why the JTAC dialog includes the „SPOT“ confirmation which ensures your second missile (while still on the rail) will indeed pick up the laser. Anything else bears the risk of the second missile going crazy when it doesn‘t pick up the shifted laser. Keep in mind that CAS and working with a JTAC means there are friendly units not too far from the target.

I think in RL when you work with a JTAC who lases for you, you don‘t fire another Laser Maverick before the first one has hit. To assume the second one will catch the shifted laser illumination after the first target is destroyed is rather risky. That is why the JTAC dialog includes the „SPOT“ confirmation which ensures your second missile (while still on the rail) will indeed pick up the laser. Anything else bears the risk of the second missile going crazy when it doesn‘t pick up the shifted laser. Keep in mind that CAS and working with a JTAC means there are friendly units not too far from the target.

Makes sense!