[NO BUG]Uncommanded Left Rudder During Flight

Nealius

Since Update 9 I have had uncommanded left rudder during flight in the Yak-52, and only the Yak-52. Cleanup/Repair has not resolved the issue. My controllers are calibrated and working properly. Takeoff Assistance and those other "cheats" in the Special tab are all off. Attached is a track and a couple pictures.

In the first picture, you can see that the Controls Indicator is showing rudder slightly left of neutral, while the DCS axis settings are showing my actual input of right rudder. Note my axis is not inverted.

In the second picture, you can see that the Controls Indicator is still showing left rudder, while the DCS axis settings are showing my actual rudder position as neutral.

This only appears to occur in the air. When on the ground rudder inputs are exactly as they should be.

My guess is that the ground adjustable trim tab for the rudder has been added, and it starts moving your rudder as dynamic pressure increases, hence not being noticeable while on ground, taxiing or any under circumstances where propwash or airflow aren't suficient to make the tiem become alive...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

Maybe in the future they'll add a way to adjust the trim tabs in the settings, like we have for the Bf 109, but otoh, this is a realistic feature - the real aircraft reacts the same way, unless the pilot counters the tendency of the rudder to deflect, but he'sw bnot supposed to do so because these settings are calculated for cruise, and to avoid the need for rudder input under such circumstances.

It's a realistic feature, not a bug :-)

I have all of that stuff off, so I don't understand why it's being affected. I'd really like to turn this feature off as it makes flying a bit more difficult. Left turns require neutral rudder and right turns require excessive right rudder. It feels very unnatural.

Hmm interesting. I have Auto rudder OFF and have tried the Rudder trim setting in the settings screen Full left and Full right. Doesn't seem to have any actual affect.

In game though do a take off with Control position indicator up. Before Power application Rudder Pedals central as is Rudder position indicator. As you advance power (pedals central) the Rudder position indicator moves to the left.

In flight the requirement for right rudder to keep balanced at the higher airspeeds is good. However there is virtually no requirement for any Left rudder at Low speeds (130-160Kmh) power 800/82%

• Like 1

Latest FM is still not correct for rudder and is actually less accurate than before I think.

Next to no left rudder required on T/O is inaccurate, real plane requires substantial left rudder through about 170 KPH, tailing off to neutral around 200-220 kph, and then shifting to right rudder as speed increases such that substantial right rudder required above 270-ish kph.

Not uncommon to use several inches of pedal travel between left/right extremes when flying a loop or quarter clover.

'Gimp (DISCO vVMFA-122)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A-4E | F-5E | F-14B | F/A-18C | AV-8B NA | UH-1H | FC3 | Yak-52 | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA-342

i7 8700K | GTX 1070 Ti | 32GB 3000 DDR4

FAA Comm'l/Instrument, FAST Formation Wingman, Yak-52 Owner/Pilot

is actually less accurate than before I think

Care to elaborate? Because I do need to input substantial left rudder during the takeoff and then gradually neutralize it and shift to the right when the airspeed increases - and that, AFAIK, is at least roughly accurate.

Plus, are you sure your AC and the one ED's model is based on are identical? Because our Yak is originally a contract job for a 3rd party using it for RL training, and they definitely wouldn't accept anything grossly inaccurate. So could there be more than meets the eye there, I wonder?

Plus, this thing is still in early access and that shows, no working radios or trim tabs yet etcetera. So maybe we should just wait patiently for a while still...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

• 2 months later...

Sorry but add me into those who are confused.

I spent 2 hours trying to fix my pedals until I realized that the rudder is deflected to left.

It is actually visible from outside that the rudder is not centered. Even if I remove my rudder pedals physically, and it makes flying very annoying.

All trim tabs are at Zero, Auto Rudder and TakeOff assistance off.

It's the normal effects of the ground adjustable rudder trim tab.

As dynamic pressure builds up over your rudder, it'll naturally deflect, and in this case correctly to the port side because the prop is rtatetes CCW.

If you use CTRL-Enter ( or something similar I don't exactly recall … ) to display the control surfaces, you'll see that without touching your pedals the rudder will progressively turn due to that effect.

Ok, thanks. So the aircraft always flies to the left because the rudder deflects in flight.

Can this somehow be adjusted by the ground trim tabs in the main menu? Because frankly they seem to have no effect whatsoever.

I'll have to check as I do not recall if the Yak-52 has that option, like the Bf 109 K-4.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team

Hi all

I have revisited this after being asked, the information I have is that the left trim is correct for the YAK-52.

Setting special options 100% right for rudder will still help on the ground but in the air forces on the rudder will produce a left bias on the rudder.

Thanks

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 year later...

Wanted to bump this, the special options trim settings for the rudder don't seem to do anything, as with what has been said above - when cruising at around 250kph IAS with no rudder input, the controls indicator shows the rudder in the same position regardless of what the rudder trim is set to (I've tried it at neautral and at both extremes) - causing a constant uncommanded left rudder input.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a mod that helps alleviate this somewhat - nice to be able to fly straight! - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3321595/

I constantly tweak the settings on the ground to get a good balance depending on how I am flying it etc - currently the settings I am running: 

-- Trim Notes! 
-- Negative Aileron values are to Starboard 
-- Negative Rudder values are to Port
--
--aileronTrimTab = -0.0             DEFAULT VALUE !
aileronTrimTab = -0.0205
--
--rudderTrimTab = -0.666          DEFAULT VALUE !
rudderTrimTab = -0.385

So a tiny bit of right roll and half the default port rudder trim

• Like 1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]