* DCS: F-14 Development Update! Scan, Lock, Fire! * - Page 19 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #181
CheckGear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven43291 View Post
I guess every Air wing had different philosophies, and maybe the Pacific fleet saw things different than the Atlantic fleet. In talking to our crews, they didn't see much of an RoE that would allow them to use the Phoenix as originally intended (shooting down waves of Russian bombers coming over the horizon) and actually valued it much more for its fire-and-forget properties at closer range.
This is what I like to hear - how systems were employed in the real world. I want to experience how things were actually used, as opposed to how we wished they'd been used. Not saying we can't have both, but I'd prefer greater emphasis on real-world implementation.
CheckGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:16 AM   #182
BlackLion213

Quote:
Originally Posted by uri_ba View Post
I have a strong feeling that you would mostly see
4*aim7+4*aim9 or 6*aim7+2*aim9 while flying online.

Aim54 is not something you would shoot at a flighter target. (That is expecting to get shot).and no one will let you shoot down all the tankers and AWACS for the "other team" in TvT.
I don't think so - the AIM-54 is way more lethal against fighters than the AIM-7. Whats amazing is that the Heatblur version has a lower G-limit than the real Phoenix to optimize its performance at range and it still is remarkablely effective. I'm testing it and have been quite impressed. I guess that giant warhead (bigger than that of the SA-6) makes up for the G-limit quite well.

I would take the threat seriously....

-Nick
BlackLion213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:19 AM   #183
Xenovia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLion213 View Post
I don't think so - the AIM-54 is way more lethal against fighters than the AIM-7. Whats amazing is that the Heatblur version has a lower G-limit than the real Phoenix to optimize its performance at range and it still is remarkablely effective. I'm testing it and have been quite impressed. I guess that giant warhead (bigger than that of the SA-6) makes up for the G-limit quite well.

-Nick
Awesome. Can't wait to finally get my hands on the Tomcat
Xenovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #184
addde

Quote:

-Nick
So you're saying that it has a proximity fuze and doesnt have to score a direct hit? :O
addde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #185
Bad Idea Hat

Quote:

-Nick
That just ruined my tactic, because now it's less of a headache inducing decoy for closing on an enemy, and more an actual weapon.

I'll guess that the effective sweet spot against a fighter is going to be 40-50nm range, with say a 50-50 shot being in the same ballpark as an enemy fighter, maybe even a hit (given a load of 2, that's one possible kill, which is extremely helpful in a 1v2 scenario).

If my unscientific thoughts hold up, the F-14 becomes the most dangerous fighter in the game. It's already going to become the AWACS killer for every PVP server. This is even before the advantage given that the F-14 is also the only two-seat fighter around, so at worst (or maybe best, who knows) you have a player and an AI backseater calling out targets when merged. Not only will the F-14 be insanely difficult to handle if it carries even just 2 Phoenix missiles, but it becomes a real handful even alone at all ranges between 100nm and 0nm.
Bad Idea Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:53 PM   #186
Alicatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by addde View Post
So you're saying that it has a proximity fuze and doesnt have to score a direct hit? :O
From the armaments page of the EE Lightning F3 June 1969: IR homing missile "Red Top"

So, proximity fuses have been around in missiles for a while
Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #187
addde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicatt View Post
From the armaments page of the EE Lightning F3 June 1969: IR homing missile "Red Top"

So, proximity fuses have been around in missiles for a while
Not in DCS
addde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #188
Alicatt

Quote:
Not in DCS
True

Not spammed many missiles in game so not noticed, it's more of a guns guns guns for me, never even tried the rockets on the P51 yet
Old 12-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #189
Dino Might

We have had proximity fuses on AA shells since WWII. I would be surprised if any air to air missile with a HE/frag warhead has ever been made without some sort of proximity fuse.
Dino Might is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:59 AM   #190
BlackLion213

Quote:
I'm not totally sure of the mechanism, but watching the missiles in the F6 view I've seen quite few trajectories that look to be a near-miss actually result in a hit. Also, misses were a lot less common than I'm used to in DCS, it is quite an effective A-A weapon against fighters (which is really all I've used it against).

-Nick
BlackLion213 is offline   Reply With Quote