Huey engine spool but never start

Frag

Hi guys,

I have an issue since today, I am currently training with the Huey.

When I do a cold start (following many videos, like this one ...always end up with the same result).

The engine will start spooling (while I am leaving my finger on the HOME key), but will never reach the gas producer to 40!!! So I wait and wait ...to never have a fully running engine.

I was able to do cold start earlier this week, but never had that issue before. I updated DCS world to the last version this morning to official 2.5.3.21708 version .. If any of you did, could you quickly check if you can start the Huey please? I am starting to think that something got broken...

Edited by Frag

Since mine seems to work alright, here are a few suggestions:

- Are you sure your standby generator switch is on 'Start'?

- Are you sure the throttle (twist) is open far enough for the engine to start?

- Is the fuel switch set to on?

Edited by Kang

Frag, if you don't provide a track for us, we will have to post so many questions here.

The shortest and the best way to find the problem is to watch your track and define what you're doing wrong or missing.

See you. :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Thanks for all the help guys, I guess that my binaries were corrupted. I had to uninstall the game completely, wipe the folder clean ... and fully reinstall. Go figure...

As soon as done, everything came back to normal. For sure I tried to reboot the computer and retry before doing this.

Kind of weird but well. I wanted to known from this thread if a bug was known in this new release about the subject but it seems that you guys did not have one ...so that was my last resort. I cold started that metal bird all week to out the sudden get stuck with this. Go figure ...

Thanks for your time guys...

I guess the thread is not useless if someone else ever stumble on the same issue.

Edited by Frag

I would guess you are not spooling the throttle up and back down before starting?

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Does it have to go all the way to max and back?

No but it doesn't hurt and then you know you went far enough.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

As far as I know going all the way up and back down again is how it's generally done in real life, but it works if you don't.

Correct. In the 412 we roll to full then back to the idle stop. To take it further, we actually actuate the idle stop and bring it down to just inside, just in case it goes hot you can cut it off quicker.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I've had the same problem as Kang [not Kang, I meant Frag]. I think you have to twist the throttle far enough for the throttle-stop button to pop back out, or else click it to pop it out. And then return the throttle to idle. Otherwise, for whatever reason, the engine will only spool up to 35% N1. Is that authentic to the real aircraft? I don't know. I'll do further testing to pin it down exactly what happens, if I can. Or unless someone else already knows the exact answer. I might try reading the manual again, too. :)

BTW, real pilots, how far of a twist is full throttle? Is it about half a rotation of the grip? A little more than or less than 1/2? Maybe only 1/3rd of a complete rotation?

Edited by Andrew8604
Correct error in reference to other member name

BTW, real pilots, how far of a twist is full throttle? Is it about half a rotation of the grip? A little more than or less than 1/2? Maybe only 1/3rd of a complete rotation?

I’ve never actually thought about it... it takes about 2 and 1/2 full twists of the wrist (repositioning your hand each time) to go from idle to full, so if you figure each twist is 1/4 to 1/3 of a full circle, it’s probably between half and just under 1 full rotation.

I’m sure it’s buried in our flight manual somewhere, but I don’t have one at home here right now....

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Thanks for the info, Sandman1330. I laugh at myself a bit. I just realized I had it stuck in my head all this time that the twist grip throttle is spring loaded like that on a motorcycle. But it's not, is it? I mean that wouldn't make sense...take your hand off the collective and throttle would go to idle. ha ha. I don't think that would be good. I've only flown a real helicopter once. That was an OH-6. What a thrill that was! I didn't mess with the throttle, so I didn't learn that. Had more than I could handle with the collective, cyclic and pedals. The pilot let me transition from forward flight into a hover. I actually did it...until I fell behind the machine trying to hold it in hover. Every time I changed one control, it affected the others...or more accurately, it caused a need to adjust the others. The Huey in DCS seems a little easier in that regard...or maybe I'm just getting better at it. :) I have 33 hours now and about 120 landings. DCS isn't very good with the logbook, but I've been trying to keep track manually.

In the Huey for DCS, looking a the throttle grip, if the word "Throttle" appears to be on the top-center of the grip after you twist it as low as it will go, you are probably still in "cut-off" and the engine will only spool up to about 35% or less and not light off--EGT will not climb. Twist the throttle up toward full throttle and then back down (probably after releasing the starter button to try again). If it now stops with the word "Friction" appearing top-center, you are likely at IDLE and can now get past 40% N1 on the next try and can successfully start the engine. It looks like if you crank it to 12% and the EGT does not climb, it may still be in cut-off. Otherwise, if you have it at the IDLE position, around 11% it will light off and the EGT will climb rather quickly into the green range, around 400 C. The N1 will make it past 40% then, and you should have a successful start.

Edited by Andrew8604
reword for clarity

Lol nope, not spring loaded. And we have a friction we can apply to hold it at full, otherwise it does tend to back off