L-39 manual errors & typos - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
Radbes

I know the manual is also in a beta-stage, but I was just wondering what kind of errors you (ED Team) would like for us to report? I find a lot of grammatical errors while reading the manual, and sentences that just sound really odd.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #12
derelor
ED Testers / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radbes View Post
I know the manual is also in a beta-stage, but I was just wondering what kind of errors you (ED Team) would like for us to report? I find a lot of grammatical errors while reading the manual, and sentences that just sound really odd.
I am currently proofreading chapter 1 and can confirm your findings
Please report as much as you want/can, also grammatical errors and odd-sounding sentences
Old 10-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #13
derelor
ED Testers / Moderator

All errors mentioned here (and others) have been incorporated in the manual.

Keep'em coming
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
Pikey
Veteran

Please perform a CTRL-F on 'parachuting'. With reference to landing, I think this is meant to be 'Balooning' or floating. There's a few more odd words but this was my favourite.

There's around a hundred definite articles missing, I know the word is pointless in Russian and you don't have it, but 'THE' is pretty important to us for flavour it's the most common word in the English language - "The cat sat on the mat" in Russian reads "Cat sat on mat". Fundamentally (and I've had this conversation) there is little practical difference, however it is still the correct way to write English, and being it's a pretty book, it's worth doing nicely. https://learnenglish.britishcouncil....finite-article

I do a lot of proof reading at working for my Russian colleagues, we laugh about articles now.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
OnlyforDCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Please perform a CTRL-F on 'parachuting'. With reference to landing, I think this is meant to be 'Balooning' or floating. There's a few more odd words but this was my favourite.

There's around a hundred definite articles missing, I know the word is pointless in Russian and you don't have it, but 'THE' is pretty important to us for flavour it's the most common word in the English language - "The cat sat on the mat" in Russian reads "Cat sat on mat". Fundamentally (and I've had this conversation) there is little practical difference, however it is still the correct way to write English, and being it's a pretty book, it's worth doing nicely. https://learnenglish.britishcouncil....finite-article

I do a lot of proof reading at working for my Russian colleagues, we laugh about articles now.
Pikey you need to list the examples if you want them to change it. Quote the sentence and chapter, page number. The works. I would do it myself but I hardly find the time to fly the sim, let alone proof read the manual....(In other words Im a lazy SOB...)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #16
derelor
ED Testers / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
Pikey you need to list the examples if you want them to change it. ...
I will try to locate all the missing articles myself, no need to list almost every sentence of the manual

But the quoted sentence is true for everything else.

Last edited by derelor; 10-06-2015 at 08:50 AM.
derelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #17
Pikey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
Pikey you need to list the examples if you want them to change it. Quote the sentence and chapter, page number. The works. I would do it myself but I hardly find the time to fly the sim, let alone proof read the manual....(In other words Im a lazy SOB...)
OK!
pg 164
While airplane descends towards the ground by pulling the stick create landing angle so that airplanes lands on two main wheels without parachuting.

I think parachuting should be stalling, it could mean ballooning, not sure.

pg 174
When speed of 160-165 km/h reached and stick is pulled all the way back, airplane normally lowers nose and enters parachuting mode with gradual speed increase to 200-220 km/h.

I'm not actually sure what this means but sounds more like stalling which is the context.

As for articles, huge task, every page, most sentences as the author probably knows!
Old 10-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #18
Chizh
ED Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radbes View Post
All errors.
Thanks for help!

Вакансии в ED

Flying Legend 2018 : Imperial War Museum 2018

Last edited by Chizh; 10-06-2015 at 12:01 PM.
Chizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #19
Zhivuchiy

Hi guys,

I did the translation and I am really glad that you understood what I wrote!

Thank you a lot for your comments, they make next translation better! :-)

Few comments from my side.
Articles are always causing problems for non-native English speakers, you are right :-)
I agree stalling sounds better for me in both cases.
Most of oddness is caused by the fact that Russians prefer to write everything in passive in a specific way.

P.s. If you have some general recommendations, do not hesitate to PM me.
Zhivuchiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #20
derelor
ED Testers / Moderator

I received permission to share the latest version of chapter 1 (pages 9-36) with you.

Please let us know if you still find errors
Many thanks to all helpers, especially Radbes.

Last edited by derelor; 10-11-2015 at 06:41 PM.
derelor is offline   Reply With Quote