What are the differences between the 3 ww2 planes?

Spacehamster

I am teaching some of my friends to fly the WW2 planes. So the question comes up often:

"What are the differences between the 3 planes?"

What are the distinct differences between the 3, without going into too much detail? What plane is the fastest, what plane is the best at what altitude and so forth.

Can I get some advice on this?

TL;DR start with the P-51. It may not always win the knife fight but it won't try to kill you as much as the other two.

P-51 is good at high altitude and can put up a good fight at low altitude if the pilot knows what they're doing. All other things being equal, the Bf-109 always wins at low altitude. 190 will generally lose against the P-51 at all altitudes.

Not sure about top speed, but in a dive the Bf-109's controls lock up, the P-51's and 190's don't. P-51 will lose control surfaces if you go too fast (5-600 MPH true airspeed)

The 109 has an advantage in cooling, so it can stay at higher power settings without blowing the engine. (Good for low/slow dogfighting which is where the plane shines)

The P-51 has the advantage in situational awareness because of the bubble canopy and 3 axis trim (you can focus on things other than flying) whereas the 190/109 require constant lateral input to fly straight depending on speed.

P-51 has LOTS of gun ammo and can carry tons of rockets so it's a good ground pounder... until you get intercepted by Bf-109's. The 51's guns shoot marshmallows so you need to lay on the trigger to actually kill another plane. The 109 has a center mounted cannon that will destroy your plane in less than 5 hits. Once I hit a 51 3 times and took the back half of his fuselage off.

P-51 also has a MASSIVE range/endurance advantage over the other two, but that also means you're heavier. Unless you plan on flying for an hour or more, take less than 50% fuel. Don't bother with the drop tanks unless you're flying like 500nm per sortie.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Are you sure the DCS P-51 and FW-190 don't compress in a dive and "lock" up?

They should.

Flying sims since 1980

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mobo: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.7 GHz

Video: EVGA GTX 1080

Ram: Patriot DDR4 2800 8GBx2

PWR:Corsair RM750i

Are you sure the DCS P-51 and FW-190 don't compress in a dive and "lock" up?

They should.

They definitely should. The P-51 only has it implemented in yaw and the 190 in roll. I've gotten the 51 up to 35,000 and dove, the TAS shot up so fast I didn't even realize anything was wrong until I heard my elevators tear off.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

So, the 190 is the most inferior plane then? The 109 climbs faster and is faster at all altitudes?

No the 190 is not the most inferior plane. The P-51, Bf109, and Fw190 are all a matter of preference.

The 190 is my mainstay ww2 fighter, it handles great in all axis and leaves heavy handed planes like the Bf109 and P51 in the dust when it comes to defensive maneuvering. This comes from amazing control harmony and breakneck roll rate.

To boot, the Jumo motor in the 190 is the most easy to use, durable, and reliable motor of the three birds. It often will eat up .50 calls and continue on flying, taking insane rev changes, and temperature extremes.

Talking about reliability, the flaps and gear are electric and do not rely on hydraulics, often again still functional after a good burst from a mustang. The 109 gets good pilot armor, but has sensitive components.

The visibility is unparalleled out of the 190 as well, making situational awareness much higher and also means you don't have to maneuver your blind spot around at all. Compare this to the near cagelike 109.

Taxiing is easier due to an easy lock tailwheel (pull back to lock) and wide set landing gear. Again unlike it's thin wheelbased brother.

But still it has its flaws, low speed or high AoA handling in pitch is tedious at best, the nose is huge (Its only taxi downside), and gyrosight is poor (I tend not to use it). But overall it's ergonomically based design trumps any 109 rocket ship imho. It really feels like a "pilots plane".

If I could put all three planes into one word

190: ergonomics

109: power

P-51: flexibility

In-Game Handle: Lutrafisk

She/Her

That is intersting. However I found the 109 much easier to taxi and take-off, because it has a clean lock for the brake and not the wobbly stick-pulling brake, which gets tricky on take-off.

Also, why is the 109 so difficult to fly straight? I have to use a -11 aileron pre-mission trim to somewhat keep it from rolling at 50% throttle. Why is the 190 less affected by this? weaker engine or aerodynamics?

So, the 190 is the most inferior plane then? The 109 climbs faster and is faster at all altitudes?

The 190 is the best of the three.

It has a truckload of 20mm ammo. It's fast, climbs well, rolls like a top, and has excellent control authority at all airspeeds.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 2 months later...

/\ I think it will be mine too in about a week!

I finally got the 109 module--I had the other WW2 modules. I have to say I wanted to like the 109---I had been watching a lot of documentaries that I haven't seen in years and the late model 109 (The K-4 in this sim) was second to none and would have been a real problem had the Germans not run out of good pilots. That being said...The 190 D-9 is a freaking battlestation---It really takes a while to learn how to dogfight in it (the fuel issue is a must to stay alive) but once I got the hang of it I can do pretty well with it. I have the B-17 mods and the He-111 (the Mustang is great too----but not like the 190. imho) THe gunners are crazy accurate but its still fun to come out of a dive or head on and lead with those big guns on the 190 and shred a bomber formation.

I think the Spitfire is going to be crazy fun too---can't wait!