Are aerodynamic elasticity effects modeled in DCS modules ?

Anatoli-Kagari9

I wonder if any form of aerodynamics elasticity is modeled, namely on the ww2 modules.

When wings, fin, stabilizers, etc, bend, do the respective aerodynamic forces take into account this effect ?

That's a good question. For a PC flight sim, they probably just model the general handling and performance characteristics based on published data, without going into the nitpicky detail of the actual shape of the airframe at a given load factor.

So, they program the flight model to reproduce the behavior of the airframe at a given speed, altitude and AoA/sideslip combination determined by the manufacturer's test data, it's implemented in the sim using lookup tables, instead of modelling the physical airframe and constantly analyzing it in real-time and trying to determine its behavior based on a kind of consumer-level computational fluid dynamics model.

That would be my best guess since it makes life much easier for your CPU, as well as your wallet.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

That's a good question. For a PC flight sim, they probably just model the general handling and performance characteristics based on published data, without going into the nitpicky detail of the actual shape of the airframe at a given load factor.

So, they program the flight model to reproduce the behavior of the airframe at a given speed, altitude and AoA/sideslip combination determined by the manufacturer's test data, it's implemented in the sim using lookup tables, instead of modelling the physical airframe and constantly analyzing it in real-time and trying to determine its behavior based on a kind of consumer-level computational fluid dynamics model.

That would be my best guess since it makes life much easier for your CPU, as well as your wallet.

Well,

in X-Plane this is modelled for the main wings, and in Aerofly FS2 it goes a lot deeper as can be checked at this thread from IPACS, hence my question.

But for instance AEFS2 doesn't yet model compressibility...

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

I wonder if any form of aerodynamics elasticity is modeled, namely on the ww2 modules.

When wings, fin, stabilizers, etc, bend, do the respective aerodynamic forces take into account this effect ?

Read this For some explanation on the flight model for the Mirage 2000. Not as simple as some people believe it is.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2957615&postcount=38

Win10-X64, I5,-8600K oc-4,8Ghz, 16GB DDR4, MSI RTX 2080ti, HOTAS Warthog, MFG crosswind pedals, KW-908 Jetseat , HTC Vive with lens mod.

• ED Team

The elasticity can be used but only if its exact amount of effect is known. Then the question: how many aircraft do you know that is provided with such data?

Although the effect itself has minor weight, its deliberate use can ruin FM performance accuracy rather than add something useful...

Anyway, Su-27 uses it in DCS. Controls for some planes use it, if the amount of the effect is known.

• Like 1

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

The elasticity can be used but only if its exact amount of effect is known. Then the question: how many aircraft do you know that is provided with such data?

Although the effect itself has minor weight, its deliberate use can ruin FM performance accuracy rather than add something useful...

Anyway, Su-27 uses it in DCS. Controls for some planes use it, if the amount of the effect is known.

Thx for the answer Yo-Yo... I was thinking of many effects directly connected to control surfaces under higher dynamics pressure and / or G load, but also on the effect ( very well documented by the manufacturer ) in my glider wings when they bend during a tied thermalling turn :-)

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...