Induce a Flat Spin? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Ice Rhino

Default Induce a Flat Spin?

Hi

Is it possible to induce a flat spin in an aircraft? I do not really care which aircraft it is, I just want to practice getting out of one.

Thanks

IR

Toni Carrera

(Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor, 32GB RAM, 2 x 256GB SSD, 1 x 1TB SSD 4 x 4TB Western Digital Mechanical. 2 x ASUS GTX 1080's SLi, ASUS 29" Ultrawide flanked by 2 x 22" IPS Monitors)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Winfield_Gold+
Posting Rights Revoked

F-15 is quite easy however any fixed wing plane in this sim follows the same rules and principles

AOA set to 75+ degrees full after burner,

when aircraft shudders when about to stall and drop about 150 knots, pull back further on the stick and apply full left or right rudder.

bit of practice and it will happen when ever you want it to happen.

As chuck yeager stated in chuck yeager's air combat from many moons ago,
"to get out of a spin, apply full throttle, push the stick all the way forward and apply full opposite rudder"

still rings true for any aircraft in this dcs sim when in a spin.

For added effect, load only left or right wing with bombs, missiles etc for easier loss of flight control.

Or power 1 engine all the way down and the other on full after burner for added excitement.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Fab

Thats not a flat spin....

VAT The Black Widows
I´m in for a ride, a VR ride
DCS Oculus Rift Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
Para_Bellum

I was flying the Mirage at 40,000 ft when I decided to disable the fly-by-wire system. I was able to keep the aircraft flying somewhat level, then I tried a careful turn. Immediately lost control of the aircraft, blacked out and when I came to again I was 20,000ft lower, engine flameout and in a flat spin.

Fun times!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:51 AM   #5
Slazi

I've definitely done this is either the MiG or an Su. Perhaps it was the Su-33? Happened quite a few times to me in one of the training missions.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
Hadwell

point your nose up, full right rudder, full left stick... hold it there.... do this with plenty of altitude, ground comes up quick

to get out of a flatspin, it's not always full forwards on the stick, but you use opposite rudder to the rotation direction, don't push forwards on the stick too much, overcompensate, and get yourself in an upside down flatspin...

your goal is to point the nose directly down, get enough airspeed that you can safely pull up out of the dive.

if you're in a plane with a propeller, keep throttle at idle when you're trying to get out of the flatspin, the engine torque can keep you in it, depending on direction...

Last edited by Hadwell; 01-10-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadwell View Post
point your nose up, full right rudder, full left stick... hold it there.... do this with plenty of altitude, ground comes up quick

to get out of a flatspin, it's not always full forwards on the stick, but you use opposite rudder to the rotation direction, don't push forwards on the stick too much, overcompensate, and get yourself in an upside down flatspin...

your goal is to point the nose directly down, get enough airspeed that you can safely pull up out of the dive.

if you're in a plane with a propeller, keep throttle at idle when you're trying to get out of the flatspin, the engine torque can keep you in it, depending on direction...
The correct procdure for getting out of a flat spin, is infact pulling back on the stick, vs push nose down on normal spins..

VAT The Black Widows
I´m in for a ride, a VR ride
DCS Oculus Rift Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Luzifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield_Gold View Post
As chuck yeager stated in chuck yeager's air combat from many moons ago,
"to get out of a spin, apply full throttle, push the stick all the way forward and apply full opposite rudder"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadwell View Post
If you have rudder and elevator authority it's not a flat spin.

There is no standard exit out of a flat spin. It's either shift CG forwards or do stuff with throttle and ailerons to drop into a normal spin.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
Hadwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzifer View Post

except that, when you're rotating, there is still air going past the rudder, and extending airbrakes and flaps gives more horizontal stability, any tiny bit of drag helps get out of the flatspin...
so long as the goal is to get the nose pointed down, and airspeed up past safe levels.
try it... test it...

Last edited by Hadwell; 01-10-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #10
JNelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzifer View Post

There is no standard exit out of a flat spin. It's either shift CG forwards or do stuff with throttle and ailerons to drop into a normal spin.
NASA Spin Mode Classification
Spin mode Angle-of-attack range, degrees
Flat 65 to 90
Moderately flat 45 to 65
Moderately steep 30 to 45
Steep 20 to 30

It is not dependent on whether you have authority or not it is dependent on AOA hence the term flat spin because it is flatter than a normal spin. Sure the control authority may correlate with the flatness of the spin but it by no means defines it.

Pulled from here \/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(aerodynamics)