DCS not "reading" the "Saved Games" folder.

I thought I'd ask about this before going through the hassle of reinstalling.

DCS does not seem to be reading information from the Saved Games folder.

I have renamed the DCS folder in Saved Games and restarted DCS. I see that DCS re-creates the folder with the exact same name it had before.

I have used OVGME to install mods and I see them writing to the DCS folder in Saved Games correctly. I have added several simple MODS in case one installed in the wrong directory structure.

Any body see this before and how did you fix it?

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

I have renamed the DCS folder in Saved Games and restarted DCS. I see that DCS re-creates the folder with the exact same name it had before.

I have used OVGME to install mods and I see them writing to the DCS folder in Saved Games correctly. I have added several simple MODS in case one installed in the wrong directory structure.

Try rebinding a joystick etc. If you can then DCS is reading from this NEWLY created save games folder. Thats where it's saves them.

If the name of this new folder is different you might have to re-setup OVGME and reinstall the mods to activate them etc.

You never have to reinstall DCS, it can be copied and pasted to wherever you like.

Launch DCS using the links from the bin folder. DCS_Updater.exe

Do a repair and clean on the install too.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC is right. I need to make a change within DCS that is stored in the Saved Games folder in order to properly determine if it is being read.

I know OVGME is working because I have installed the MFD readability mod. I watch it create it's entire directory structure from the MOD folder on down, but my MFD's don't change. I also install the FPS readability mod. I can't see that install because it just replaces files that are already there. But my FPS is still unreadable in the upper left corner.

I'm just trying to determine if I've broken something in DCS that keeps it from reading the Saved Games folder. I have ran the repair app but there was no change. I don't have a complex install yet so maybe it would be better to reinstall DCS and see if that fixes it.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

• ED Team

Have you moved your saved games folder in windows ?

Can you navigate to your saved games folder and copy and paste the link as text here.

it should be something like

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

No, it hasn't been moved. As I said I the OP...in my saved games folder I renamed the dcs folder. I then started DCS and I watched it create a new root folder for it's self in my saved games folder. I then used that new folder to install a couple of mods. It didnt change a thing.

Very basic question: Are these mods still supported in DCS? Perhaps that’s the real issue.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

The display readability mod is generally used in order to read the MFD's on the F18 and it does work if I make the same changes to the file in the program folder for DCS.

I'll look at some other mods and try them just to confirm your suspicions but the mod's I'm trying are simple. They only change or add one or two files. It's easy for me to see rather easly that they are installed correctly.

The display readability mod is generally used in order to read the MFD's on the F18 and it does work if I make the same changes to the file in the program folder for DCS.

I'll look at some other mods and try them just to confirm your suspicions but the mod's I'm trying are simple. They only change or add one or two files. It's easy for me to see rather easly that they are installed correctly.

And the folder structure remains the same? That could be another possible source.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Last night I gave up trying to fix the current installation, so I wiped out both of my DCS installs.

After reinstalling I tried to run a MOD again with no luck.

On first run DCS did create a MOD root folder in my SG folder. I used OvGME to installed Rackham's display readability mod for the F18. DCS didn't read the mod. I installed the 2 files for this mod directly into the DCS install and it worked. I have to assume that the mod is valid and DCS just wasn't looking at the SG folder.

I looked in the DCS log and only found one line that referenced the SG folder and it was looking in the fxo folder for something to do with DX11.

Does anybody know where I can check in DCS for the instruction that tells it to go look in the SG folder and what the correct folder tree is?

Title of the thread is misleading then. It's not about DCS not reading Saved Games folder, but about Rackham's mod not working when put in that location.

If you read through the comments on the mod download page you would notice that that's indeed been the case since the mod release, so reinstall was not necessary. Mind you, the mod hasn't been supported by the author anymore for a while, but few guys tweaked it further on their own and provided links in the same section.

In either case, you'll more likely to get more help and responses in the mods section of the forum.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Title of the thread is misleading then. It's not about DCS not reading Saved Games folder, but about Rackham's mod not working when put in that location.

If you read through the comments on the mod download page you would notice that that's indeed been the case since the mod release, so reinstall was not necessary. Mind you, the mod hasn't been supported by the author anymore for a while, but few guys tweaked it further on their own and provided links in the same section.

In either case, you'll more likely to get more help and responses in the mods section of the forum.

Art,

That MOD is just the easiest to test with but I have also tried other MOD's that are listed on the DCS web site. Just simple ones though so I could easily check to see if it was installed in the SG folder according to the directory tree that was required.

The MOD I used does work if I install the two files directly into the program directory and replace the default files.

I'll get a few more MOD's and try them but I just don't understand how DCS can create it's own folder under my SG folder but then not use it.

After reinstalling and testing again I'm closing out this problem with no resolution...yet.

To much chatter about MOD's not working in 2.5.5 so I'm dumping all my MOD's except the MFD Readability MOD. I'll wait until I see updated MOD's and give them a try.

• 1 month later...

I am opening this thread again because I have made changes with no resolution to the problem.

I have moved my install to a Win 10 with all new downloads and installations. My problem still exist.

To keep it simple my example uses the "DisplayReadablityModifiedV2.5" mod for the FA-18. It changes the font size of the MFD to make the readable when using a large screen. Mine is a 40in 4K TV.

When I put the modified files under my "SavedGames" folder DCS doesn't pick them up but when I change the files in the DCS programs directory they do modify the MFD's. My saved games folder has the exact same directory structure as the DCS directory. I know the saved games folder is being read because my HOTAS mapping is correct, but no mod that I put in that directory modifies DCS in any way.

I've tried OvGME to do the installation and it put the modified file in the exact same place I do but DCS doesn't seem to pick them up either.

Does anybody have an idea what is going wrong and what I can do to fix it?

• Like 1