Earth curvature

draconus

Is curvature finally rendered or is it still flat?

This is something that I'm actually hoping out for, especially with the map having massive amounts of water. Would be cool to see ship masts poking out of the horizon.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It's only gfx effect. The sea is flat.

Then why can't ships lock you up if you fly below the horizon?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Then why can't ships lock you up if you fly below the horizon?

because the effects of curvature are modeled for radar los as well as nav and other calculations, just no curvature in rendering of sea and land

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

because the effects of curvature are modeled for radar los as well as nav and other calculations, just no curvature in rendering of sea and land

So you are saying the effects of curvature are modeled as well as gfx effects for visual curvature? Then what's the problem?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

So you are saying the effects of curvature are modeled as well as gfx effects for visual curvature? Then what's the problem?

Where did you read that there is any problem? I just asked if the new map has taken a step up the technology ladder and made the map mesh curved (not horizon).

btw: the thread started in Marianas subforum and then was moved.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Where did you read that there is any problem? I just asked if the new map has taken a step up the technology ladder and made the map mesh curved (not horizon).

btw: the thread started in Marianas subforum and then was moved.

Alright then :)

Tornado3 small.jpg

SAMs and radar wont pick up up at any range below 40ft, but they will pick you up above it at much greater ranges than the earths curvature should allow, so it's hardly "modelled". It's completely gamed, please test it as well as I.

I'm not sure we can jump to conclusions about the new map yet, so until proven otherwise: Maps are flat, coords are slightly manipulated to fit and radar has no issues to worry about with earth curvature, it's just filtered to not include anything around the 40ft mark. All that testing was done on flat sea around Viggen launch time and has not changed since ships would happily shoot you in a very binary fashion depending on your altitude in exact feet.

Be careful on what conclusions you draw from data.

edit: this is a useful tool for understanding how much DCS radars can see over the horizon. Very simple to test it on a ship with a known radar mast height.

https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=60&h0=30&unit=metric

as you can see from the tool, there is magic going on in DCS ;)

Edited by Pikey
added tool

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

It also makes sense if they're hope to do a world map at some stage in the game, it would be maybe a bit short-sighted if new maps didn't have the curvature in, because if one gets done (big if) eventually, they'd probably have to change the geometry of the existing maps to fit them in (well unless you make the whole planet flat :ermm:). Having new maps flat only creates more work in the future, not to mention being unrealistic and having to come up with workarounds for sensors.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Afaik, the existing mapping engine in DCS doesnt support curvature. This is why there is such a problem with making a world map; they first have to redo the way maps are done in DCS.

AFAIK they're working on a new terrain engine, there's a mention of latest map technologies in the newsletter - of course no details, but if a world map is in the plans long term I'd imagine that maybe some of these new technologies might include supporting a world map.

Not sure what would need to be changed apart from maybe a change to a polar coordinate frame for the weight vector (i.e in a radially inward direction rather than being parallel across the whole map), that I imagine shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

System:

• 4 months later...

Like ground wave propagation?

Don't think so, our RADARs in DCS are too high frequency/too short wavelength for it AFAIK.

System: