New Pay Model

MacEwan

New Pay Model  

907 members have voted

1. 1. New Pay Model

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if it doesn't slow down the rate that new modules are being released

Organising it would be a nightmare at this point.

The masses would never accept it.

Polls and opinion pieces of this nature are pointless, when on topics that have exactly zero chance of being done.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Subscription?! after I've already bought hundreds of dollars worth of product. Count me out, This has got to be the stupidest idea I've ever heard.

So we're mad at ED for not getting modules/core features to complete states fast enough, so lets give them MORE money before they deliver on things, only this time take away the ability to vote with your wallet and any incentive for them to continue support? Yeah sounds terrible, how about we just stop buying products before they're finished. They don't deliver they don't get paid, simple and effective.

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

works great at iracing

Works absolutely *terribly* for development at iRacing - look at how notoriously long it takes them to do anything at all relating to new features. iRacing provides servers ( and indeed forces you to use their servers ) and a matchmaking system, that's where the subs goes mostly. IIRC they're actually funded as a rich guy's pet project & until recently ran at a loss.

In case you haven't guessed, I voted no. What would I get for my subscription? would I get every new module included in it? if I didn't, what am I paying for, and why should I pay twice for a module? what happens if I don't like whatever module is next in the pipe? having paid for my modules what happens if I find an increaase in subscription fee unbearable?

I'd be interested in the legal implications of locking someone out of a license they've already paid for by moving access to it behind a paywall, too. MS/Adobe/Autodesk as far as I'm aware have not blocked access to their previous standalone products. No support contracts, obviously, which matters more to corporates.

I think ED are simply going to have to charge more for modules at this point if they need more cashflow, or stop building modules that take so much work. There's lots of 3rd-gen aircraft that'd take far less time than a late block F-16 but would still sell well, as a simple example.

Edited by Richard Dastardly

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

gym subscriptions are the biggest waste of money on the planet..

good for the gym's but bad for the people who pay for them but never actually go..

and that is the greater share of gym memebrship payers.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Adobe suite requires a separate subscription for each "module" (way more pricey than ED's) and it's not a mess.

There are many kinds of subscriptions. With MS office for example, I buy family subscription every year with black friday sales and with 50 bucks I have six individual licences, and each of the six accounts can install in as many devices as he/she wants. I have office on both my desktop and laptop, my wife on her laptop, my brother, my mother, my wife's mother, and another unused license is left, all with 50 bucks a year. You could play f-14 with another human with just one subscription...

Edited by nessuno0505

My reasoning is that companies just can't delay fixing problems that long when people keep paying in order to access the product.

I totally agree. Obviously, if ED passed to a subscription model, they could not delay fixes anymore. Are they able to do it? If so, let's go subscription tomorrow! If not, keep all things as they are.

Edited by nessuno0505

I do not know how to manage the switch from the present model to subscription, it would be ED's choice. Maybe they could offer a free period based on how many modules each customer owns. I do not know, it's not up to me. I just say that when the switch was done we could have some advantages.

No, thanks. If you want a subscription, go play WoW. :mad:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

It's not "my" subscription; all this poll is unuseful since ED only knows how to manage its business. I just say that all the subscription model softwares I've tried are better than "pay one time and keep as it is until the next payware version" ones. Maybe ED is not able to keep costant and updated modules in a reasonable time to allow a subscription: if they changed only the payment method keeping the software and development time as it is, they would loose customers. If so, it's better as it is now.

P.S.

If a moderator has not yet closed this post, maybe it's because ED is interested in knowing the opinion of the community about a subscription; if so you can sleep pacefully, as the majority of voters is against.

Edited by nessuno0505

Adobe suite requires a separate subscription for each "module" (way more pricey than ED's) and it's not a mess.

There are many kinds of subscriptions. With MS office for example, I buy family subscription every year with black friday sales and with 50 bucks I have six individual licences, and each of the six accounts can install in as many devices as he/she wants. I have office on both my desktop and laptop, my wife on her laptop, my brother, my mother, my wife's mother, and another unused license is left, all with 50 bucks a year. You could play f-14 with another human with just one subscription...

I run my email & any rare calendar stuff off a 7 year old Raspberry Pi ( cost about £30 back then ), and use free full featured office software which do way more than I need. I could just use Google stuff too if I wanted marginally less hassle setting something up across devices *shrug*. One's subsidised by advertising, and the other is subsidized by goodwill & happy thoughts.

What you're basically advocating is renting seat time in aircraft modules, which may work for real flying but I suspect is not going to be broadly popular for sims, at least not sims lacking a central service like that civil one in the works.

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

No thanks,

I'd be willing to pay to access improvements, be them 3D assets, weather or whatever, but ED kinda already do this to an extent - like the upcoming BS3 and asset packs and even the carrier module-ish is paying for improvements.

If people really want to throw money is for ED/3rd parties to have donate links.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Personally I would not support A subscription model but neither do I believe Ed can continue with modules in ea representing their only income stream.

I would probably support a ‘major iteration’ charge to help understand core developments but only once Ed have proven they can begin to deliver those. Then implement a charge for any new users and a siding scale depending on length of time and/or number of modules For existing users to get off the mark.

Once you own a signficant number of modules I would say you have put your fair share of support into ED.

If they tried to implement it now before sorting out networking issues, clouds being synced, rotating, in game voip etc I would definitely not support it.

Edited by Arctander

Something I notice over and over again with these types of posts we can give money for ED to employ people and throw devs at x. The issue people forget is that isn't how things always work, 124 or so people currently work at Eagle Dynamics, most of whom are either Coders, Artists or the like all touching parts of a code base then on-top of that all the 3rd party dev's.

If you know programming you know full well that some times it doesn't help to throw 50 people at a problem that 1 person is working on, all it does is literally cause more issues then it solves.

Or for you non programmers out there, throwing 50 mechanics at removing a battery doesn't necessarly make it any faster then just having left 1 guy there to do the job with out them all getting in the way.

So no I don't really want a subscription model, I don't based on all the discussions I've been part of believe it would have the impact people believe it would.

Better communication etc is what would help and hopefully we start to see that happen, it seems to have since certain parties have become more involved recently.

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)

The release of the F-16 has shown us that the current business model cannot work and is unsustainable. Releasing extremely early access, subpar products just to keep income coming in, while neglecting fixes and improvements to the core program and pre-existing modules is not good for anybody.

I don't know if a subscription based business model is the right answer, but I think we can all agree that something does have to change. It also needs to change quickly...there is competition on the horizon, while maybe not direct, it is still competition in the relatively small community of flight simming.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

This pool is missing the option:

Only if it considerably speeds up the rate at wich new modules and features are being released

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals

Would be in favor of a subscription service, ONLY if it meant hiring additional developers to work steadily on core game mechanics that are outdated, and in keeping existing products current and it good working order. Think this idea has merit tbh.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Official Texture pack:

http://community.104thphoenix.com/topic/1221-104th-official-texture-pack/

Un-Official Roughmet Texture Pack:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303667/

Livery Creation Discord Group Invite-

https://discord.gg/bqAq2zx

Would be in favor of a subscription service, ONLY if it meant hiring additional developers to work steadily on core game mechanics that are outdated, and in keeping existing products current and it good working order. Think this idea has merit tbh.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370

CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz

Memory: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000

Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB

1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB

Windows 10 - 64 V. 2004

CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals