Mouse pointer and head movement in VR

VR FlightSim

Thread was also started here - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215875

ED did something to help but it wasn't enough. What I want to see is the cursor completely unlocked from head movement and possibly an input function for re-centering cursor. For an example, I want to be able to look at the cockpit flood light dial, select it, and be able to look around and still be able to use scroll to adjust the brightness.

The mechanics behind this cursor extend back to Ka-50 and I think was designed for TrackIR users. I don't know why it was coded to be tied to head movement in the first place, it was extra work on top of writing the whole input functionality framework. Basically the whole extra chunk of code should be scrapped.

Also anyone commenting saying we would lose the cursor in the cockpit, no that isn't even a thing currently. The cursor is confined to a virtual 16:9 box slightly larger than the UI window which is adjusted via re-centering view and therefore we can't simply lose the cursor somewhere behind us.

Thank you;)

Have a look at the video example I've made (previous page).

I can't think of better solution.

Jay

That does not solve the problem. Whilst you can use the mouse in the limited space of your FOV, the pointer is being hijacked by HMD's movement. You need to keep your head very still to aim good.

Not natural at all and really frustrating.

Jay

Hmm, I could have sworn that my mouse was free from the HMD movement. I'll have to double check. It's been a while since I had a chance to fly the sim.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hmm, I could have sworn that my mouse was free from the HMD movement. I'll have to double check. It's been a while since I had a chance to fly the sim.

Yes, the mouse is free of the HMD as long as you don't move your head, and that is the point. You can't move your head independently of the mouse.

Needs to be changed.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You could make it so the mouse cursor is bound by the edge of the screeen so it was "ground-stabilized" but compelled never to leave the boundary of the screen.

Surely it’s already tied to the VR screen boundaries.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, the mouse is free of the HMD as long as you don't move your head, and that is the point. You can't move your head independently of the mouse.

Needs to be changed.

I remember the annoyance in TRackIR, but in Vr i don't really mind, as most of the time, my eyes moves around when my head points in a general direction, i mean, if i look at my UFC, my eyes moves, not that much my head, or the smallest amount it moves, i got used to it i presume... will have to check next time i fly how much i'm annoyed, got so used to it i don't even noticed unfortunately.

I remember the annoyance in TRackIR, but in Vr i don't really mind, as most of the time, my eyes moves around when my head points in a general direction, i mean, if i look at my UFC, my eyes moves, not that much my head, or the smallest amount it moves, i got used to it i presume... will have to check next time i fly how much i'm annoyed, got so used to it i don't even noticed unfortunately.

The whole thing is not right in every respect. It's not natural, I mean in real life can your hands not be used if you move your head?

You look at a dial, use the mouse to start turning it, and then a slight movement of the head and it's gone!

Not the same in 2D.

It's just bizarrre!

The whole thing is not right in every respect. It's not natural, I mean in real life can your hands not be used if you move your head?

You look at a dial, use the mouse to start turning it, and then a slight movement of the head and it's gone!

Not the same in 2D.

It's just bizarrre!

in trackir somehow i could live with this...in vr now, i really exprience it as an annoyance. yeah imo, the mouse pointer should not be linked to the headmovement at all....

in trackir somehow i could live with this...in vr now, i really exprience it as an annoyance. yeah imo, the mouse pointer should not be linked to the headmovement at all....

It doesn’t happen in TrackIR! That’s part of the point.

It doesn’t happen in TrackIR! That’s part of the point.

are u sure? i have not flown with trackir since i have the rift but i could have sworn that headmovement with trackir also keeps moving the mouse...anyway, in VR i dont like it at all...and it actually became one of my most anticipated features i would like to see for vr.

Edited by birdstrike

Exactly right! Annoyingly bizarre and utterly wrong!

ED please give us a sign that you are real...

Jay

Wouldn't that be nice. To actually hear from the developer or publisher to have some inkling that you aren't speaking into a black hole.

It would be nice to have a bug tracker. At least to see that your complaint/suggestion/observation was acknowledged. Could lead to shorter forum threads.

I don't disagree that VR support is still early on. It has come a long way and combined with clickable cockpit very powerful.

Hope this issue gets some thoughtful consideration.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Wouldn't that be nice. To actually hear from the developer or publisher to have some inkling that you aren't speaking into a black hole.

To be honest I am very disappointed so far.

As for my first thread in the forum I was expecting some active communication with dev representative (as I'm used to from different sims) but seeing this and observing other threads, it makes me really sad.

It is actually quite rude though!

Jay

To be honest I am very disappointed so far.

As for my first thread in the forum I was expecting some active communication with dev representative (as I'm used to from different sims) but seeing this and observing other threads, it makes me really sad.

It is actually quite rude though!

Jay

Look at my post #20 here. I said that ED don't tend to reply here, but it's not to say they haven't read it.

Look at my post #20 here. I said that ED don't tend to reply here, but it's not to say they haven't read it.

Acknowledgement from the company would go a long way. It's the lack of response that feeds the feeling that they don't care to hear about player issues. The longer the delay the quicker those feelings turn to resentment and ill will.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

Acknowledgement from the company would go a long way. It's the lack of response that feeds the feeling that they don't care to hear about player issues. The longer the delay the quicker those feelings turn to resentment and ill will.

I agree that it is frustrating, but it's not the way things work around here. You'll get the occasional communication from a member of ED staff, but not very often.

Completely agree. I run my own flight sim web and in my humble opinion, communication is the key to a happy audience.

I do realise that this is not how things work here, I'm just saying that it is very disappointing for a newcomer...

Jay

Edited by VR FlightSim

I don't want to say this too loudly, but I think it's been fixed!

Now, when holding a rotary dial, moving your head doesn't affect the adjust ability.

It works for me just like in TrackIR now. Am I dreaming?

On some planes you can adjust rotaries by dragging your mouse. This works in the Spitfire. And it’s separate from your head movement once you’ve pressed the button.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On some planes you can adjust rotaries by dragging your mouse. This works in the Spitfire. And it’s separate from your head movement once you’ve pressed the button.

Not been possible in VR. Grabbing a rotary got lost when moving your head, unlike TrackIR when it stuck even with head movement. That's what this thread and others are about!

Not been possible in VR. Grabbing a rotary got lost when moving your head, unlike TrackIR when it stuck even with head movement. That's what this thread and others are about!

I've been doing it in VR, but only for the ones forward of my shoulders. I have a bad back that limits my neck movement. That's why it's important to me that all rotaries and encoders, that are modeled in the game, have CW and CCW keyboard mapping. I can map those hard to see rotaries to my hats or whatever.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS