Thrustmaster F A 18 Grip Flight Stick Add On

Steel Jaw

I like mine, but it’s pricey, try to get it used or something.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Depends. Do you want to have the F-18 grip or not? Do you prefer its ergonomics over your current stick? For me, the Hornet is my favorite aircraft in DCS, so I wanted the grip mainly for authenticity. I also find that I prefer flying with it, from a feeling perspective, although the Warthog grip's ergonomics are better, IMO.

There are other subtle differences as well. Several Youtubers (Jabbers, Ralfidude, Spudknocker etc) have made reviews on it, check them out.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

The Hornet stick works extremely well for the Hornet (duh), AV-8B, Tomcat, and Ka-50. The only flaw, if it is a flaw, is the down press on the weapon select 5-way switch is a little hard to find until (perhaps even after) you get used to it. I prefer it for space sims as well.

The only questions are "is it in your budget?" and "will you use it enough to justify the purchase to yourself?"

I would also say the ergonomics works better for a center stick low mounted between the legs rather than up on a desk.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

From what Ive read I wasnt impressed. Apparently its a less ergonomic stick if you're not wearing flying gloves and The only real differences are the SCS depress, which can be subsituted for Master/mode button 5 and the recce mark button. the hog stick has an extra hat which can be used for the that and also for radar elevation which isnt on the Hog throttle. If you really want to be 100% and have money spare then it lets you be 100% accurate, but honestly the Hog joystick is so close its mostly cosmetic

Edited by shu77

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I like mine, but it’s pricey, try to get it used or something.

Been scanning for a used one, ever since it was released. But you won't easily find 'em, or the asking prices are so high, you might as well go for a new one.

Looking at 2nd hand prices of the TM Warthog asked nowadays, I doubt this will change anytime soon

Until then, I'm keeping my money, as it's quite an expensive wanna-have (especially considering it has less buttons than the Warthog)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

I would also say the ergonomics works better for a center stick low mounted between the legs rather than up on a desk.

that´s the way to go, a lot of wrist and shoulders from flight simmers would thank that.

Remember the F-16 real cockpit has

1) the joy tilted forward

2) the seat reclined 30º

3) force sensor which requires hardly any movement

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

...(especially considering it has less buttons than the Warthog)

It has the same number, just arranged differently.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

It has the same number, just arranged differently.

Oh really? I thought the CMS switch on the WH has more positions that the F/A-18 equivalent (don't know the correct name)

But if true, forget about that last comment of mine :P

Edit:

Just wanted to be sure.. but..

I counted the amount of buttons on my Warthog stick (23) and according to this picture I found, the F/A-18 grip has 19

Am I missing something?

Edit2:

Ah... nvm... I saw they forgot the trim hat :P

That makes it 23 :thumbup:

2020_05_29_15_10_57_F_a_18_grip_buttons_Google_Zoeken.jpg.1fe9d7c32c9431d4cbe6c212082fbab0.jpg

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Just my 2 cents as I've recently bought one myself:

Depends on many factors.

First of all, what do you currently use? If you already have a warthog then the F-18 stick is just a matter of "do I have the spare cash for it" as it doesn't provide much when it comes to functionality or ergonomics (apart from the feel of the buttons which I've heard is better than warthog - I've never owned a warthog before so can't say for myself)

Secondly, what types of jets are you flying mostly?

If you spend most of your time in the F/A-18 or the Harrier than it works great. As for the other jets, I haven't had any issues using it on the F-16 - I've mapped one of the missing hats on the throttle - the RL F-16 throttle still has less buttons than the warthog so that wasn't a problem.

The A-10 however is a different story. Since I'm using the small buttons on the center for VR I have no idea how I'd map it for the hog. That's also one of the reasons I don't plan on buying the A-10.

As for the ergonomics, you can easily place it on the chair between your legs. It's quite stable, actually once you sit on it and I don't find it uncomfortable.

WpDqnDl_JNWuc7ZgGvgUwb1_DLViHApeZ6vcuXG5SLCBGYpqdKm-fjgKuvfcABtWYcBob-4G3DgdtJLEPny1=w1920-h920

I just got mine yesterday and with only a little over an hour with it so far I love it! Mind you I only fly the Harrier (primary) and Hornet and I have the stick center mounted with a Virpil 200cm S extension, but that said it feels really good.

Aorus Z370 Ultra Gaming WiFi MB | i7-8700k @ 4.9 GHz | EVGA GTX 1070 Ti | 32 GB CORSAIR Vengeance 3000 MHz DDR4 Ram | Corsair H100 Pro Cooler | RaidMax TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD |TM Warthog Hotas w/ F/A-18 Hornet grip | Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | Oculus Rift S

DCS | AV8B | F18C | F-16C | A10C | Mig 29 | F15 | SA-342 | Huey | Persian Gulf | NTTR | Combined Arms

Personally, I fly in VR and I like to mimic the positions for the stick and throttle to match closely to what it would be in the real jet (and what I see when I look down in VR).

I have set up my 'Wheelstand Pro for Warthog' (https://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro/for-thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-saitek-x-55-x52-pro-x65) to mimic the F-18 (and it also works well for the F-14), but using it to fly the F-16 is just weird.

Therefore, I plan on purchasing a Hornet grip myself soon, and using that in my current setup as a replacement for the Warthog grip so I can use the FSSB R3 with the Warthog grip.

Changing the setup between centre-mounted (with extension tube) and side-mounted stick (without extension tube) at the moment is quite the faff, so I'd prefer to avoid haveing to do that. Besides, as a woman I don't have the strength to keep using the Warthog stick without extension tube for hours on end several times a week (my right lower arm really doesn't like that), and without it I also find the precision with very small movements (such as during IFR) seriously lacking.

With the new setup, I'll have both a centre-mounted and side-mounted stick, so I can fly whatever I want in proper conditions. And yes, the ergonomics of a centre-mounted stick with extension tube is quite good, and it's precise and very easy to use :)

Edited by Elysian Angel
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I love mine and I mainly bought it for the authenticity and better ergonomics that I'm used to for a center-mounted stick.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Hey Mower long time no see. Hope you are doing well. In answer to your question, I got mine last week and I love it. If you have the cash then invest in it.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

'Santa' brought me one for Christmas and I love it. I use the mini scroll in it for zoom (forward), super zoomy thing (back) and re-centre view (press). I must admit I also have another zoom mapped on the throttle in case I want to zoom when doing CCIP bomb drops. Having the hornet stick does feel a bit indulgent but I do greatly enjoy using it.

It depends on what you're flying and what you're expecting. The Hornet grip is not a all metal construction, only the lower part is (the one you grab). Also the trigger is plastic, unlike the orig. Warthog ones wich is metal as well. Same goes for the castle switch and any other buttons on the Hornet grip. Wasn't a deal breaker for me, but for some ppl it might be. I rate the button response on the Hornet grip better than the Warthogs, especially for the trigger and the paddle switch. Ergonomics aren't great on the Hornet grip, unless you wear gloves and it was not a pain, but uncomfortable to use on a desk/as sidestick. Since i got it center mounted, angled and with extensions, it feels great.

The price is another thing. TM used to sell Warthog grips as replacement part for 130-140€ in the past. Now they offer the "F-16" grip standalone for 180€ and the Hornet grip is ~190-200€. Wich i think is too expensive for what it provides (in comparison to the Warthog grip). But deals are out there! I purchased mine immediately after release, as the Hornet is my absolute favorite jet, and had a lucky deal. The webshop admin put it with the wrong price online and they realised this with the first incoming order. And that was me :thumbup: At least that's what i assume, as the price was 199,-€ the next day after my order. Since there is a law over here, that they have to deliver it for the price that was called out during the purchase, i was able to get mine for 160€ including a 4 year warranty. Also heard from people getting theirs on ebay, never used with more than a year warranty left for 130-160€. Keep searching and you may be lucky as well.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Currently using a Cougar with a Vipergear force sensing nod on a desk, so it sounds like the F18 stick would be a problem ergonomically.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I don't like the Warthog gimbal I tried.

So I decided to please myself and I'm using a Virpil WarBRD base with TM Hornet stick, this is a great combo. Using it with M-2000C, Hornet and Tomcat currently it's working great.

It's expensive, but I have confidence that it will last a long time.

Currently I'm using it as side stick on desk. It isn't great and it isn't meant to stay that way. It's too high on the desk. I have other things to sort out IRL before that.

But I don't see any problem as side stick provided that the height is good (desk mount of some sort like Virpil, Foxx Mount, Monstertech, DIY...or maybe Warthog stick base is lower than WarBRD ?)

I would even say that the stick being curved forward is more comfortable than the Warthog stick which is usually not tilted forward enough. (I also have a TM Cougar modded with force sensing device).

I also fly mainly in VR now and I like very much the switch they added for that purpose (VR zoom and centering once in a while).

Is it mandatory buy if you have a Warthog ? No, off course.

PS: the real Hornet stick is resin, not metal. So it doesn't matter that the TM Hornet stick isn't full metal :smilewink:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Personally, I fly in VR and I like to mimic the positions for the stick and throttle to match closely to what it would be in the real jet (and what I see when I look down in VR).

I have set up my 'Wheelstand Pro for Warthog' (https://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro/for-thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-saitek-x-55-x52-pro-x65) to mimic the F-18 (and it also works well for the F-14), but using it to fly the F-16 is just weird.

Therefore, I plan on purchasing a Hornet grip myself soon, and using that in my current setup as a replacement for the Warthog grip so I can use the FSSB R3 with the Warthog grip.

Changing the setup between centre-mounted (with extension tube) and side-mounted stick (without extension tube) at the moment is quite the faff, so I'd prefer to avoid haveing to do that. Besides, as a woman I don't have the strength to keep using the Warthog stick without extension tube for hours on end several times a week (my right lower arm really doesn't like that), and without it I also find the precision with very small movements (such as during IFR) seriously lacking.

With the new setup, I'll have both a centre-mounted and side-mounted stick, so I can fly whatever I want in proper conditions. And yes, the ergonomics of a centre-mounted stick with extension tube is quite good, and it's precise and very easy to use :)

The https://www.wheelstandpro.com/products/wheel-stand-pro/for-thrustmaster-hotas-warthog-saitek-x-55-x52-pro-x65 was one of my best buys for DCS, and i do switch the stick to the right when flying the F16, but as I spend most of my time on the Hornet, it's usually on the centre mount. The stand is certainly built to last and can be folded, stored away, with a bit of effort.

Can the F18 stick be programmed with the Foxy software? I hate TARGET.

As far as software's concerned there's no difference between this stick, the standard Warthog's or the Cougar's.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals