Installing skins

RedDog2

Hi all.and tks in advance, could someone please help me on the method of installing a new skin to an aircraft. I have been searching for the info to no avail. It would be very appreciated by this old 67 year old that wants to change the skins on some of his aircraft please.

For me, the easiest way is to go to your Saved Games\DCS folder and create a folder within called "Liveries".

Underneath that, create folders for each of the aircraft for which you have skins ... these have to match the folder name in the original "aircraft" folder in \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft.

For example, for Viggen skins, create a folder named "AJS37" ... like this:

Saved Games\DCS\Liveries\AJS37

For AI aircraft, you have to match the folder name of \Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\Liveries.

Many skins instruct you to put the skin within the "Program Files" tree, which isnt good because you might lose the skins when you reinstall DCS ... much better to have them within your User tree (on "Saved Games") :)

Cheers!

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

RedDog any particular aircraft?

As Rudel states you can use the path usually c:\Users\Saved Games\DCS (or DCS.openalapha or DCS.openbeta depending on which version of the game you are running)

The Liveries directory should be there by default, at least it was for me, although you may need to make up the specific aircraft directory, some are there by default some not.

The other way is by using JSGME or OVGME. I recommend OVGME over JSGME but both work fine and there are threads in the Mods and Apps section telling you how to use them.

The former is the easier way but if you have a lot of skins and say a small SSD for your C drive you might want to use JSGME or OVGME

If you are still struggling I can try to put something together to help

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for that info. I am running an AMD 6 core on an Asrock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 mb, with a Corsair 72 water cooling sealed unit. I also Photoshop as well. At 67 an old man can still have fun trying lol. Oh ya, and a set of crappy X52 Pro controllers. Gonna save for new ones, maybe the metal set everyone likes in here.Sure isn't FSX. Had my private ticket but lost left seat because of a minor heart attack. Never did like the right seat.

Edited by RedDog2
Spelling and such

So you sorted RedDog?

To change the skin in the game go into the mission editor click on the aircraft and on the panel on the right click the second (weapons loadout) tab.

You should see the available skins on the bottom with a small picture showing the skin that's selected.

If you don't see the skin you want go into the actual skin folder and open the Descrption.lua file, at the bottom there will be a country line which specifies what country needs to be selected in the mission editor to get the skin to show

• 2 weeks later...

Drop your skins folder into "HardDrive":/"whatever"/steamapps/common/DCS World/Bazar/Liveries/"AircraftName"

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, ditch the steam installation and you'll do yourself a bunch of favors. :)

All your content will be seamlessly ported over to the standalone ED installation, you'll still be able to use modules purchased through Steam, and then you'll have access to updates and early access aircraft much sooner than the Steam community will.

So, twice the sales, nothing lost, more content...you win!

If you still want the Steam overlay for chatting with friends, you can simple add DCS to your library as a non-Steam game.

Edited by feefifofum

• 3 years later...
Dunno if this helps here is a screenshot of my liveries folder, showing the folder names for all the aircraft I have

Aircraft%20Folders_zpszkn7svmu.jpg

Is this still working?

I can't see the skins on the sim... :(

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

Is this still working?

Yes

I can't see the skins on the sim... :(

More info .. what skin exactly are you trying to install and on what folder did you place it?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Yes

More info .. what skin exactly are you trying to install and on what folder did you place it?

F-16C all the other skins work except this one, maybe something with the name?

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

F-16C all the other skins work except this one, maybe something with the name?

For the F-16C, the livery folder should be named "F-16C_50"

• 1 month later...

Can anyone see an obvious mistake here? Model Viewer doesn't pick it up at all but in game I can select the livery however it shows the blocky green 'missing texture' all over the model.

description.lua and textures installed at:

C:\Users\****\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Liveries\ch-47d\ch-47_green rsaf

I used the latest .dds exporter from Nvidia for Photoshop 2020 and saved out as bca1 if that makes any difference. Also I noticed a lot of inconsistency with capitalisation in the official ED files so I am assuming it is not case sensitive. Is that right? : )

Thanks for any support.

5Z5f9UU.png

Can anyone see an obvious mistake here? ...

This thread is about installing skins ... you would get better support starting a separate thread on the Skinning Sub-Forum:

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=356

• 8 months later...
On 2/13/2021 at 1:08 AM, Apar said:

Whats the difference of Saved games folder for liveries and the DCS installation directory?

the Program’s directory is the domain of ED, the Saved Games one is your own. If you perform a dcs repair or reinstall, you would lost any liveries that you placed on the program’s directory.

Edited by Rudel_chw

3 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

the Program’s directory is the domain of ED, the Saved Games one is your own. If you perform a dcs repair or reinstall, you would lost any liveries that you placed on the program’s directory.

This, and it's considered a best practice to put anything you can in Saved Games rather than modifying your main install whenever possible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:02 PM, Rudel_chw said:

my system drive is full already tho, was planning to just move liveries to Coremod folder?

2 minutes ago, Apar said:

my system drive is full already ...

You can move Saved Games to another drive .. check:

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of reading to do now on this thread, so much great info !!!!
A while back, I was able to finally get a new skin for the F16 called 
the 327th Hell Hound and I really liked how it looked.
Now when I try to install it, its a NO GO.   I moved My Saved Games
to my D drive, My C drive is small, and it seems to work just fine.
   Most files mention where to put them, and I have had luck with
just one,  and all of the others just dont say where or work.
   The 6.4 C130 HERCULES mod in any version just does not work for Me.
 I am very happy to have found this thread and all of the nice people and 
I look forward to reading everything and trying what has been written.

Clear Skies

Mike

1 hour ago, ctguy1955 said:

... I moved My Saved Games ...

how did you do the move? Did you use this button?

r8XEpqs.png