57th vFW DCS BVR Basics Manual

dundun92

For the last few months I have been working on a BVR guide for both my squadron and for the general DCS community. It is not specifically suited to any particular aircraft, nor does it contain threat-specific info (those will come in later manuals). It is designed to be a good BVR fundamentals and concepts resource for new pilots getting into DCS, and for even experienced pilots that want to sharpen their skills. It currently focuses on single ship employment, but sometime in the not-too-far future I intend to add information on multi-ship targeting and tactics, I have tried to use RL terminology/concepts when appropriate, but there are a few concepts/terms in here that I essentially made up for a lack of better description. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ytii9JWW2LXyAXDMYs6BiLfJy8K4cB09/view?usp=sharing

If you have any questions/comments/suggestions feel free to post them here, or DM me on discord (dundun92#7336). Also note that future updates to the doc will use this same gdrive link.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

I liked it. I sat just slightly close to single player, theory and PvP and I'm more of a sucker for process and training and team play, which doesn't fulfill the things I wanted to see. I know you said you want to bolt on "multi-ship" tactics, but to me, the smallest unit is always two. Even in a pvp environment, the principal of PvP and warfare a like is creating an unequal matchup from the outset, so it's fairly fundamental to start with two and begin the theory based on two. Just my personal thoughts, it doesn't detract from the information, but it leaves a bit of a hole in the picture slanting it towards solo theory that leaves you wanting the next part.

Herein lies a problem you completely avoided. You made this suitable for multiple audiences. Any next step needs to talk about the wingman, and useful crossover topics like scanning responsibilities, sorting and communications, the crossover into the merge and then you have to tackle this awkward part which is the sole fundament of a very different type of sim enthusiast, which is the Timeline, the process, sorting mechanics, and continue with things that aren't strictly public like split flight tactics and multiple flight mechanics where you have to introduce things like chainsaw that aren't really publicly mentioned that much, because the public books stop about there and it begins to swing into pure PvP tactics, which is very uncomfortable territory to write about on forums.

I'll be interested to see how you approach that. For virtual, mainly PvE and process squadrons it's a lot easier because they can simply make up their training and process and take the parts of the AWI and SEM etc and use what they like, then discard the rest that doesn't fit, but what those squadrons do use is a lot of the surrounding fluff you didn't touch on, like IDcrits, CAF, timeline, AWACS integration (because those guys often work with human controllers and multiple flights) and so on.

The other side of the coin is where PvP departs from documentary process used in airforces. You hear brackets mentioned throughout older books, but really airforces don't like split fighter tactics, yet the times I've nailed 2v1 pvp with a simple bracket and good comms, practice and a yardstick, I tend to wonder if there's a lot of validity in the unorthodox that simply does not crossover. And that, will make a follow up a very interesting read ;)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I liked it. I sat just slightly close to single player, theory and PvP and I'm more of a sucker for process and training and team play, which doesn't fulfill the things I wanted to see. I know you said you want to bolt on "multi-ship" tactics, but to me, the smallest unit is always two. Even in a pvp environment, the principal of PvP and warfare a like is creating an unequal matchup from the outset, so it's fairly fundamental to start with two and begin the theory based on two. Just my personal thoughts, it doesn't detract from the information, but it leaves a bit of a hole in the picture slanting it towards solo theory that leaves you wanting the next part.

Herein lies a problem you completely avoided. You made this suitable for multiple audiences. Any next step needs to talk about the wingman, and useful crossover topics like scanning responsibilities, sorting and communications, the crossover into the merge and then you have to tackle this awkward part which is the sole fundament of a very different type of sim enthusiast, which is the Timeline, the process, sorting mechanics, and continue with things that aren't strictly public like split flight tactics and multiple flight mechanics where you have to introduce things like chainsaw that aren't really publicly mentioned that much, because the public books stop about there and it begins to swing into pure PvP tactics, which is very uncomfortable territory to write about on forums.

I'll be interested to see how you approach that. For virtual, mainly PvE and process squadrons it's a lot easier because they can simply make up their training and process and take the parts of the AWI and SEM etc and use what they like, then discard the rest that doesn't fit, but what those squadrons do use is a lot of the surrounding fluff you didn't touch on, like IDcrits, CAF, timeline, AWACS integration (because those guys often work with human controllers and multiple flights) and so on.

The other side of the coin is where PvP departs from documentary process used in airforces. You hear brackets mentioned throughout older books, but really airforces don't like split fighter tactics, yet the times I've nailed 2v1 pvp with a simple bracket and good comms, practice and a yardstick, I tend to wonder if there's a lot of validity in the unorthodox that simply does not crossover. And that, will make a follow up a very interesting read ;)

I definitely understand what you mean, but I want this guide to be something everyone, whether a solo flyer or a pilot in a 4-ship. I figured that since most of the A2A community appears to be flying solo (could be wrong tho), I focused on getting this part of the guide (single-ship tactics) done initially. As for stuff like timelines, that will come in aircraft-specific manuals, as its hard to cover in a generic setting like this. Things like grinder and some basic split flight tactics I probably will cover, but I'm not an expert on that aspect of 2-ship combat so (for now) its not gonna be as in-depth as the single ship stuff is. And yes, I do intend to deviate from RL tactics when needed for the specific of DCS.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg