[FIXED] Wheel Brake axis binding

CrimsonGhost

First off, like most everyone else, thank you for this great module. On to my particular issue.

I fly with a TM Warthog and MFG Crosswind pedals. I know the normal scenario is to bind each toe brake to its respective wheel brake. However this does not work for me as I am an amputee and unable to use the right toe brake. I typically bind both wheel brakes to the left side as a compromise. Currently if I use the wheel brake binding there is no effect. I am curious if this is a bug or intentional.

Side note, is there anything in the cockpit that provides a visual indication of brake activation? Normally we can see the pedals tilt, but not in this case.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

Up to yesterday, the single pedal wheelbrake worked for me. Since differential braking is not really recommended for the Viggen, and it's a bit difficult to avoid unwanted differential braking especially during landing, I had assigned my right pedal to the "Wheelbrake" command and I'm fairly sure that was working. I have updated to the latest beta release and now it's not working any more, and I have to go back to separate left and right wheelbrakes. This is a bug.

When the system works properly you should be able to bind just the left pedal to the "Wheelbrake" command.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Up to yesterday, the single pedal wheelbrake worked for me. Since differential braking is not really recommended for the Viggen, and it's a bit difficult to avoid unwanted differential braking especially during landing, I had assigned my right pedal to the "Wheelbrake" command and I'm fairly sure that was working. I have updated to the latest beta release and now it's not working any more, and I have to go back to separate left and right wheelbrakes. This is a bug.

When the system works properly you should be able to bind just the left pedal to the "Wheelbrake" command.

I double checked my binding after the update yesterday and it still does not work. Never has worked as others have posted. Still waiting on someone from LN to acknowledge that this is being looked into.

i7-7700K @ 5.2Ghz

SLI 1080Ti

64GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 4133

Asus Maximus IX Extreme

Custom Water Cooling Loop

TM Warthog/ MFG Crosswind

MFG crosswind pedals have a feature that axis can act like a button, so you can assign W key to the toe brake axis. It's not a perfect solution, it will work as a keypress not axis, but it may work for you until the proper brake axis is enabled.

I used to use it for Su-27 before it got proper brake axis recently.

I think the option is disabled by default, you have to enable it in MFG crosswind configuration software.

I have the same issue, as my right toe-brake is non-functioning I only have the use of the left toe-brake.

ASUS Z170-P w/ Intel i7-7700, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSDs out the wazoo and a GTX 1080Ti,

Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog stick and throttle, TM Cougar MFDs, MFG Crosswind pedals and WheelStandPro Warthog (w/ the custom small Warthog plate)

Former F-16 Ground Crew @ RNoAF

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Axis for both brakes doesn't work for me as well... I considered messing around with vJoy and UJR already to map a single physical axis to two different virtual ones.

And I also remember this from the Su-27 as well as the M-2000C pinkiepieexcited.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 1 month later...
Axis for both brakes doesn't work for me as well...

Are you talking about 1.5.6 or 2.x?

I'm in the Viggen in 1.5.6, and both left and right toe brake axes work. The only thing that doesn't work is the single wheelbrake command that requires only one physical brake axis and brakes symmetrically.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Are you talking about 1.5.6 or 2.x?

I'm in the Viggen in 1.5.6, and both left and right toe brake axes work. The only thing that doesn't work is the single wheelbrake command that requires only one physical brake axis and brakes symmetrically.

Yeah the independent axis for left and right work but what I need to work (and I'm sure its the same for others) is the main wheel brakes to be able to be bound to an axis (such as a slider on my X-52Pro)...unless ofc theres some way to bind two axis commands to one axis; which there isn't...

It works out for those with independent left and right toe brakes but us "twist-stick" users have to use keyboard brake commands...

I don't own 2.0 so I don't know...

Edited by Ice_Cougar
forgot about NTTR

• 10 months later...

Of course, it's a nice feature, but is it really important?

I just use the keyboard command mapped to my HOTAS, I don't need a brake axis in an aircraft like the Viggen (totally different story in old WW2 planes), button is enough for me.

Also note that you may use the thrust reverser instead which you probably have mapped on an axis.

• 4 weeks later...

Try to set up a virtual stick. Check this out. Don't forget to get vJoy which is linked in there. Set up 2 virtual axes X and Y that both are fed by the same physical one and you'll get a single wheel brake axis. It just can be a bit tricky to map, but once that's done, it will work fine. I'm still using the predecessor software UJR and it's pretty useful.

Here you can see the X axis is fed by id 4 axis 1 and Y takes axis 2 of the same device. That's the left and right toe brakes of my MFGs. So basically they're just "copied over" to the vJoy. But on the next page, both get a merge with id 1 axis 3 which is the slider of my FFB2. That makes for the following behaviour: Half of both the left and right wheel brake axes still comes from the actual toe brakes while the other half comes directly from the stick's slider. So I just map the vJoy axes in DCS and have a "both wheel brake" axis on my slider, but it just does 50% of brake power max. To get full action I also have to fully depress both pedals. The good thing about it is that the controls just add up. So I can fine tune my taxiing speed with the slider and not just the throttle(s), but also I'm able to add left or right toe brake if needed. And I hardly ever need more than 50% of the total brake power.

If I just wanted to put the left and right toe brakes together on one single axis, I'd just set X to id 4 axis 1 (left toe brake), Y to just the same and completely ignore the second page. But then, to map them in DCS, it's advised to just map one at a time, go set it up in DCS and then redo it for the other one. Haven't messed around with the QB thing though.

The third axis Z is just a split by the way. I tried to set up a zoom axis split up onto two physical axes, so I had one lever to zoom in and another to zoom out. Both at 100% was zoom neutral. But I don't use it anymore 'cos I found out how to map a certain FOV angle to a single key press, it's just a leftover :D

sq2t8vb8.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Annoying that it's been like this for more than a year now, with no sign of this ever getting any kind of attention from the developer. My right toebrake is broken on my pedals, so I can only use the left one. I've got a button on my hotas bound to wheel brake, but I'd much rather be able to bind my left (working) toebrake to break both of the wheels. I can do this is the other planes, and really miss it on the Viggen..

Accept that every user assigns items different priorities. HB said they are working on the Viggen in 2018 and we already heard great news from the dev regarding other major items like weapon accuracy. Accept that HB probably assigns issues like this a rather low priority, totally fine if you ask me. Let them first solve the major issues.

I mean the braking system works and you can certainly use the button till they implement the axis feature. It's not a game changer, just a bit more handy for some.

Accept that every user assigns items different priorities. HB said they are working on the Viggen in 2018 and we already heard great news from the dev regarding other major items like weapon accuracy. Accept that HB probably assigns issues like this a rather low priority, totally fine if you ask me. Let them first solve the major issues.

I mean the braking system works and you can certainly use the button till they implement the axis feature. It's not a game changer, just a bit more handy for some.

it's not a problem to have an unfinished module, being sold on beta or early access stage.

but when you buy this module on steam, it does not say it's beta or early access... go check it and you'll see i'm telling the truth... it says "Release Date: 2 Nov, 2017".

i discovered that this is beta by reading the manual, something that customers usually do after buying a product.

also, it costs way more than finished DCS modules on steam... that's another thing that puts customers away since they see a module that is expensive and released and think "well, this one is a sure bet".

I was faced with a similar problem when I switched from TM pedals to the VKB Mk IV that have no toe brakes.

The way I have set up for toe brakes is to assign them to my joystick twist action. Since you are no longer using that function for rudder control and it has a progressive scale it seems natural to me.

While taxiing simply twist the grip in the direction you want to steer just as you would without pedals. You'll need to assign a button for applying both brakes as in the Spitfire for that function to work. Warthog etc have a pinky trigger but any slider will work.

One word of caution. You must remember not to twist the joystick out of habit when landing or taking off or you'll put your plane in the ditch.

I hope this helps.

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690-E, i9-13900KF, RTX 4090, Trident Z Neo 64Gb (4x16) DDR5 6600 C32, EVO 980 Pro 2Tb M.2 Nvme SSD, HP Reverb G2, VKB Gunfighter Modern Combat Pro, MFG Crosswind pedals, Virpil MongoosT-50 throttle, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case, 1200W Asus Platinum G+ PSU, Win10 Pro 64 bit

but when you buy this module on steam, it does not say it's beta or early access".

Fair point, but I would not blame HB for that. I don't even know how much influence ED has on this. Steam and Standalone always has been a thing, Steam doesn't allow DLCs to be in BETA stage. Thus, ED releases modules on Steam some weeks after they moved out of DCS Beta. At that point modules itself can still be in Beta but all major bugs are already fixed.

Be patient, 2.5 introduced a huge platform update and many parties need to adjust and fix some issues. Viggen suffers from weapon inaccuracy (devs are working on a fix), unfinished manual and other minor bugs and missing items. Nonetheless we have a lot of working systems in the Viggen which, all in all, make it a very unique and good quality module.

This item is probably on the end of the list and most people are eagerly waiting for the other items being addressed first. It's unfortunate that you didn't notice Viggen still being in Beta due to Steam. One reason more to move to Standalone I would guess.

Personally, I never use axis for braking though I have physical toe brakes. I just never need it, tell me a situation in a modern jet like the Viggen where you need to apply for example half brakes. At landing you can just tap the brakes a few times or just use the thrust reverser. For taxi you can just reduce the throttle and tap the brake button once. A different story for WW2 fighters where you need differential braking for taxi though.

Edited by Zabuza

Be patient

i am patient, i'm just bringing this thread up because this has been reported in january 2017!

it's more than a year without proper brakes in a jet that is supposed to simulate the real aircraft... it's more than a year selling a beta DLC as released on steam.

for me, it's not a big problem, since mfg pedals can map those axes to buttons, but most people can't use their pedals and have to brake with their hands.

• 2 weeks later...