Landing Harrier on Carriers With Weapons - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-06-2018, 12:51 AM   #11
dresoccer4

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
Generally, it will evaporate from what I gather.
huh, interesting. guess that's better than raining down on some poor sod on the ground.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:04 AM   #12
[Cobra]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresoccer4 View Post
that works too! but then again where does the fuel that is dumped go?
on commercials they tell us we need at least 6000' to dump as it takes that long to fully evaporate.
[Cobra] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:33 AM   #13
rtimmons

If you do a short landing at 60 to 80 knots touch down speed you can have a heavy load and stop ok on the landing runway without a hook. As you come in on final with nozzles in hover position put your velocity vector indicator on the deck wires and keep it there using the throttle. Use nose up to slow down and nose down to speed up . If you are heavy don't let your speed drop below ~80 knots (depending on weight) until you are over the deck. I can normally get to 60 knots before touch down by pulling the nose up and easing her down once over the deck where it finally falls out of the air. I do this kind of landing at airfields also because it seems easier on the "bicycle with training wheels" type landing gear on the Harrier...as opposed to rolling on the runway at 150 knots while heavy.

slyfly

Last edited by rtimmons; 11-06-2018 at 02:46 AM.
rtimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:40 AM   #14
Sandman1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtimmons View Post
If you do a short landing at 60 to 80 knots touch down speed you can have a heavy load and stop ok on the landing runway without a hook. As you come in on final with nozzles in hover position put your velocity vector indicator on the deck wires and keep it there using the throttle. Use nose up to slow down and nose down to speed up . If you are heavy don't let your speed drop below ~80 knots (depending on weight) until you are over the deck. I can normally get to 60 knots before touch down by pulling the nose up and easing her down once over the deck where it finally falls out of the air. I do this kind of landing at airfields also because it seems easier on the "bicycle with training wheels" type landing gear on the Harrier...as opposed to rolling on the runway at 150 knots while heavy.

slyfly
You can also rotate the nozzles to full forward, which provides some reverse thrust. I’m not sure if it is done in real life, but one can do rolling landings on the tarawa fairly easy this way.
R5 1600X @ 4Ghz / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (@2933... for now) / Samsung 960 Evo M.2 / Saitek X55 / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Rift CV1
Sandman1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
jojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresoccer4 View Post
that works too! but then again where does the fuel that is dumped go?
Ok Greenpeace, then circle and burn your virtual fuel

But waiting to burn you virtual fuel to not drop your virtual bombs into virtual sea, you are consuming more real electricity
Old 11-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
Snowblind

i do what the RN is doing with the f35, a rolling near vertical landing, always dump fuel to around 1000lbs though, this gives you enough margin for error, or you just do a hail Mary rolling landing on the Stennis at virtual stall speed so you just touch down at the very back, jam you brakes on, full forward thrust nozzles and full rpm, should provide enough braking force to stop you by the end, its not pretty but it works.
32GB DDR4 corsair vengeance RGB @3000
1TB Samsung 960 pro NVME
1TB samsung 850 evo
2TB WD black HDD
Define R6 blackout TG case
MFG crosswind TM Warthog Track IR5
ASUS PG348Q 100hz 34 ultrawide gsync

[/I]https://imgur.com/a/VjNEllM
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:39 PM   #17
ESAc_matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
i do what the RN is doing with the f35, a rolling near vertical landing, always dump fuel to around 1000lbs though, this gives you enough margin for error, or you just do a hail Mary rolling landing on the Stennis at virtual stall speed so you just touch down at the very back, jam you brakes on, full forward thrust nozzles and full rpm, should provide enough braking force to stop you by the end, its not pretty but it works.
I think full foward nozzles are forbbiden on the ground, because the air ingestion. you damage the engine.
ESAc_matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:12 AM   #18
Shadow_1stVFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAc_matador View Post
I think full foward nozzles are forbbiden on the ground, because the air ingestion. you damage the engine.
Only below around 50 knots. Then it becomes a problem. Before that it's fine. Preferred actually
Old 11-09-2018, 01:41 AM   #19
Nealius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAc_matador View Post
Standard braking procedure for CL, FNSL, and VNSLs is to set full forward nozzles and 70% RPM.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | GTX1050Ti | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is offline   Reply With Quote