F-14 and computer performance

PJG

Is DCS loaded on an SSD?

It's not, good point you brought up. When I built my rig in 2012, SSDs were still absurdly expensive, so I purchased a 250GB SSD as my OS drive and a 1TB HDD as my programs and storage drive. Next year, I plan on doing a "Comprehensive Overhaul" of my PC (similar to the way nuclear-powered carriers are maintained) and replace the 1TB HDD with an SSD, as well as change out the motherboard and CPU. That ought to do the trick.

It's not, good point you brought up. When I built my rig in 2012, SSDs were still absurdly expensive, so I purchased a 250GB SSD as my OS drive and a 1TB HDD as my programs and storage drive. Next year, I plan on doing a "Comprehensive Overhaul" of my PC (similar to the way nuclear-powered carriers are maintained) and replace the 1TB HDD with an SSD, as well as change out the motherboard and CPU. That ought to do the trick.

Be sure to DMD all the pron to make sure it's truly cleaned up for proper use of the 'Cat. :lol:

I have a GTX-1070, 16gb RAM, and an I5-4690k (OC'd to 4.5ghz) and I have the game on my SSD. This allows me to run the game in the Rift @45FPS in a hornet in most cases (there are some strange occasions where it dips, but these are often on the ground in the Persian gulf).

I really hope this is enough to run the F14 at 45 FPS too. I'm pouring over my f14 tomcat haynes manual daily along with the flight manual :) Can't wait for this bird!

After our initial optimization pass, currently performance in the F-14 is identical to the F-18 on:

i5 6600K OC'd to 4.3 Ghz

32GB RAM

GTX1080

With most/all DCS settings to High. VRAM usage is higher, so expect lower total overhead (this may be an issue in cases where a mission uses many different assets).

We will be doing detailed benchmarks for your purchase decisionmaking once the module is fully complete.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Sounds good, but please do not forget about VR tests.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

After our initial optimization pass, currently performance in the F-14 is identical to the F-18 on:

i5 6600K OC'd to 4.3 Ghz

32GB RAM

GTX1080

With most/all DCS settings to High. VRAM usage is higher, so expect lower total overhead (this may be an issue in cases where a mission uses many different assets).

We will be doing detailed benchmarks for your purchase decisionmaking once the module is fully complete.

......... Ummmm, Too late on those benchmarks chief, I pre-ordered it day 1 :lol:

I'll hope it works on my PC, but tbh I'll have it on DOS level GFX if needs be just to fly this bird :megalol:

Can't wait guys! :)

Be sure to DMD all the pron to make sure it's truly cleaned up for proper use of the 'Cat. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Don't worry, I know we gotta keep it rated-PG on the carriers. I'll make sure my desktop wallpaper is a picture of Linda Rondstadt.

In fact, if you watch The Final Countdown, you can see a picture of her taped to the side of a cabinet as they adjourn the meeting at the Carrier Intelligence Center (CVIC) after the storm.