My new system has arrived- where to from here?

So if you look at my signature block, I've included everything that I've recently bought. I'm going to swap out MB, CPU, PSU, assemble everything, and install windows 10 Pro, DCS, and Oculus on the new NVMe on Saturday. Any advice on setting up for maximum performance with DCS and others using the Oculus? Overclocking, etc.? Where would you go from here in terms of upgrades?

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero MB

Intel i7-8700K 5.2 GHz delidded & lapped

Corsair H100i CPU watercooler

EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W P2 80+ Platinum PSU

EVGA FTW3 watercooled GTX-1080Ti

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Two Toshiba XG5 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD's

Various SSDs and HDDs, 24 terabytes

6 Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans in push/pull on CPU and GPU radiators.

Windows 10 Pro 64, Oculus Rift CV1, TM Warthog throttle and flight stick.

Assemble it and test it thoroughly with it's DEFAULT settings at first, do not overclock on day 1, just a tip. Learn how "she" behaves, learn the Bios beep sequence and learn that boot-mishaps take their time and patience, usually the boards recover themselves, just do not interfere when it it is SLOW testing the RAM and takes forever to beep...this is kinda normal when overclocking

and going XMP...P A T I E N C E ;)

I'd do it this way:

Install Win 10 1803 edition

Intel Chipset

Intel Management Engine

Nvidia driver

Intel Rapid Storage Driver & GUI

NVMe driver for your Toshiba if available + Software

then you can take any order you want

LAN/WLAN

Audio

BT

DO --NOT-- use the drivers Asus has on the DVD !!!!

They released a complete NEW set of drivers that needs the older drivers to be deinstalled prior to installing the new ones. Download the newest set of drivers and install those, again, do not install AUDIO LAN WLAN BT INTEL-ME

from disc, go to the Support site and download the drivers from 07/25/18 instead.

The Audio Software will download and install SONIC and the Audio Control Panel from Win10-STORE after it installed the drivers, this is why this pack is ~150MB and not 650MB as before. Log on to MS and install those software packs, you need at least the Control Deck to set sound outpout/input etc..

Sometimes...when systems are brand new...I tend to install a 2nd time. 1 time to get to know it and a 2nd time to do it right ;)

Once it runs like it should at default, test it for a few hours, burn it in.

Then, when all just flies and wont error..and you know it's error free, THEN go overclocking....I'd start with SVID-OFF vCore manual to 1.30v and set it to 50x on all cores, leave rest on Auto and XMP, choose MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE as well in the preset ( Max Perf, Auto and Energy Saver are the options, forgot the label of that par tof the menu, close to SVID option.

It sets a few crucial settings you might need.!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have a bunch of questions already, but I'll start with this one: I bought a discountede board ($100 off), because the company that sells them does "Seller refurbished" boards. Many, like mine, have a few bent cpu pins. He tests them, and tells whether they boot flawlessly, boot but with certain issues, or fail to boot and are for parts. Mine was advertised as being able to boot flawlessly with no issues. What do you think? Could this be okay normally, but end up being problematic while OC-ing, or down the road with normal use?

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

When you say burn it in, do you mean run benchmarks like from Prime95 or Ungine's Superposition?

How do you go about loading these: Intel Chipset

Intel Management Engine

Nvidia driver

Intel Rapid Storage Driver & GUI

NVMe driver for your Toshiba if available + Software

then you can take any order you want

LAN/WLAN

Audio

BT

....in that order?

How do you go about OC-ing, personally?

Would you use Asus' OC utilities?

Should I look at the names of the drivers on the disk, then go to Asus directly and install the newest drivers from the start?

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

This thing has a wifi, but I already have a wireless router (Netgear AC-1900) that my phones occasionally use, and my printer uses. Would you just not use the MB's wifi?

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

As far as cooling the box: as it stands, I have 1 fan blowing thru the graphics card, another mounted in the back that blows through the card's radiator, then out the back, another 2 pulling air in from the top through the CPU's Corsair H100i radiator, one through the PSU, another small one at the top front, and a medium sized one pulling air in through the bottom front. Seems like I should squeeze another couple fans in somewhere, maybe. What would you buy, and how would you do it? How would you cool the memory and NVMe?

Also, I ended up getting windows 10 pro on a DVD, along with the license label and a piece of the original computer's hardware (usually a broken drive, to comply with Microsoft's terms), but it's not arriving till late next week. I doubt I want to wait that long, so can I download 10 pro, then activate it fully when the license comes?

Edited by ElCuco68

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Nice, can you tell me if flying VR is constant and with good quality pixeldensity now with this monster system?

I plan to build a new system early next year! Is your system superb or must i go to 9900K and getting the 2080 TI.

Thanks.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

I haven't set it up yet, but I'll definitely let you know.

From what I've been able to gather, the 8700K is pretty much on the bleeding edge of the point of rapidly diminishing returns, particularly because it's frequency that we're really after with DCS and VR, rather than core count. I've also been given to understand that the 2080Ti will give a somewhat modest improvement (or at least that's the speculation at this point), but that at this time it would be difficult for most people to justify spending twice what you can get a good 1080Ti for now. I've heard that there's some new tech, Ray-Shading or something to that effect, that requires this new card, but that this hasn't had time to get any sort of footing yet.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

I went to some site that sells a-la carte systems for VR, and putting together a system with the components and accessories I have, excluding software, costs $4500 (!). I didn't have to spend nearly this much by scouring ebay and various retailers.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

That's a No-GO from here on, bent CPU pins are not "refurbished" boards but boards to put in the recycle bin. You got fooled !!!

Send it back, nothing to repair ! Get a proper one, sealed & new or from a trusted source.

Who ever sells boards with bent CPU pins...ahh I better stop here.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

You spent that much money...and then cut corners on a motherboard !

The weakest link of a chain is it's STRONGEST point, you seem to have forgotten that old but still valid wisdom.

Don't do this again or you waste your and our time and make the bad guys rich

Yes, this whole venture was too expensive as it was, so I had to do everything I could to shave off cost. The man assured me that it would have absolutely zero impact; what do I know? Anyway, I requested a return, and I ordered a brand-new one from Amazon, to be delivered monday, with 4-year extended warranty ($5.00).

God, so many $hitbags on ebay!

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

So, I talked to a repairman, and he basically said the same thing as you. Here's the 4 exchanges between me and this jackass. How would you answer the last (top) message?:

New message from: flip-an-item (63Blue Star)

"Hello,

I have a quick question before I contact eBay today. Have you even tried to boot it up and run some overclocking tests? How do you know a 300$ motherboard is as bad as you proclaim it is? Let me know I am really interested to hear from you."

Your previous message

Me: "I'm going to complain to ebay. Hopefully, this will result in you getting blacklisted. YOU assured ME that this was not a problem, and that was a LIE!"

flip-an-item:

His response to my first message (what a D!@K !) "Sir,

You read the description and agreed to buy it. This is not my problem if you don’t like it. I am telling you that everything works. I don’t full understand why you are telling me this information."

Your previous message

My first message to him:"I was just told by two different computer repairmen that a MB with bent CPU pins is an absolute, unequivocal no-go, especially since I plan to overclock."

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Oh, and this before his last message (this is from him): "

New message from: flip-an-item (63Blue Star)

Sir,

I have so many questions right now. My listing was clear that there IS CPU damage and I also wrote that it has been tested to be fully functional. I did nothing wrong any eBay can go through these messages and my listing and they will see that I did nothing wrong. I am just confused why you are mad at me."

I can just see this guy, running phone scams from some sweatshop in Calcutta.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

If any one pin is bent no vendor will accept the board for RMA, ....being sold as functional, they do have obvious damage that will show at some point, those pins are there for a reason.

I am a bit astound that people do sell them with bent pins and labeled as properly functioning, even if they do post the Bios ( maybe w/o CPU ).

Tell him to send the money back, you sent his stuff back and no ebay will be contacted, just rewind the deal and learn ;)

God, life is hard when you're a gullible moron like me. This just arrived, and now red flags are going up. Please tell me this isn't as bad as it looks:

You know what it is? Despite having a 141 IQ, I'm naive about being overtrusting. I have a very rigid code of ethics, have never, ever swindled anyone, and so I have an innate tendency to take things I'm told at face value. I wish I had just waited, and paid $470 for a 5.2 chip from Silicon Lottery.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Picture of 8700k

I forgot the picture. This is the alleged delidded, lapped, binned 5.2 at 1.41V CPU.

0907181535b_HDR.thumb.jpg.4c20a070c014a1faf3bd97c451f4bfc1.jpg

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

He's being cagey with answering my questions about this chip. I'm asking him for any documentation he can provide, and all I'm getting is that he knows it was done properly because he tested it.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

I'm trying to politely work it out with the CPU guy. He didn't shoot his mouth off to me like the MB scam artist did. He says he bought it from a guy off Reddit, who got it from Silicon Lottery, and that he's going to get him to send me some documentation.

I was prepared to take him at his word, but when the chip arrived looking like this, I thought "Now why would he send out a $400 jewel looking like this, and is this indicative of how he must have cared for it before sending it out to a stranger for a significant sum of money?"

Edited by ElCuco68

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

i am sorry to hear this.

life lesson - sometimes, it costs you $50 to save $20.

hang in there.

tell the seller you want to back out of the transaction and file a paypal dispute.

then go buy your gear from a reputable seller.

Yeah, I'm thinking of just ordering one from Si Lottery if I'm not feeling less anxious about this one very soon.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

He says he got it off of a subreddit called Hardwareswap.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

Well, the MB guy apologized, and accepted the return request, so I graciously accepted his apology, and told him that I wish I could shoulder the risk, but it's just too much money for the risk that something will eventually go wrong.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

This is the exchange:

"

Thank you, Philip. You're a gentleman, and I'm grateful for your understanding. I can definitely understand financial pressure, and hope that you can understand that I have too much of my family's money tied up in this system to risk it with an iffy board. I share some culpability, in that I could have done better homework. Thank you again.

flip-an-item

Hello,

Please forgive me for the misunderstanding. I have accepted your return request for the "Arrived Damaged" mobo. If you have any other questions please ask. I did not mean to offend you in any way, just business here is hard and not very profitable. I tried to make the best of it.

Thank you for your understanding, Phillip.

neeners168:

I was told by these repairmen that there is no need: that even if it boots, the bent pins will compromise the integrity of the CPU (putting my $400 delidded, binned, lapped i7 8700K in danger of being destroyed) and the system, making it less stable, and that it will eventually fail.

But I'm pretty sure you know this. And by the way: This board sells for $249 on Amazon, not $300. $150 for a $250 board that is destined to fail is no bargain. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't spend $50 on this board.

flip-an-item

Hello,

I have a quick question before I contact eBay today. Have you even tried to boot it up and run some overclocking tests? How do you know a 300$ motherboard is as bad as you proclaim it is? Let me know I am really interested to hear from you.

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM

This is what I sent to the CPU guy. Waiting on an answer:

New message to: godsarmyforever

"Hi Nick. How does this sound? How about you continue to get the information from the Hardwareswap guy (including his screen name), and in the meanwhile, I will hook this up to the new Asus ROG Maximus X board I'm getting on Monday, as well as my Corsair H100i water cooler. I'll function-test it on normal settings, then carefully work it up, step-wise, to 5.2 and 1.41V(these are the specs he quoted in the bid page), eventually running Prime95's smallfft test for 24 hours (I'll get a very experienced expert's help) and see where that takes us, and if it's stable at that point, I say that it's as-advertised? I think that's the best resolution for both of us, and we can both be happy. What do you think?"

If he doesn't agree, I'll ask for a refund, and I'll buy Si Lottery's delidded 5.2 for $509.

Edited by ElCuco68

32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM