best time for multiplayer flying?

pepto

i love me some good WWII action and cannot wait for normandy so we can finally get some dedicated scenarios going (it gets tiring flying around modern day russia/georgia and pretending it's 1940s germany or france :P) but flying against AI doesn't even come close to flying against real people who DON'T have super cyborg spotting abilities, my only problem is that 95% of the time i check the WWII servers they're totally dead :( even today i joined one that had nearly 30 people on and within 20 minutes every single person had left, what's the deal?? i'm guessing the WWII scene is more popular in europe so timezones are a problem, but whatever the case when would you guys say the best time to fly is?

People usually only join if they see people are on a server. Sometimes if you 'loiter' ie just sit in spectators or go hit ground targets at the right times of day you can get a bit of action going. After about 6-7 PM GMT+1 people might start to show up if there's a populated server, 9-11 are the 'main' times though. However even then you get maybe 10v10 if you're lucky. Hopefully Normandy and the Spitfire will draw in some more players.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I typically see it ramp up on Thursday nights (EDT) and over the weekend. It definitely fluctuates but when it does its a lot of fun. Kudos to the DoW server that offers some interesting scenario based missions (with bots) the AirQuake server which is a lot of fun, and of course, Burning Skies, probably the best and most controversial (no bots, no data export, no imposters).

It remains to be seen but there is hope that the Normandy map will bring in some new blood. My opinion of the current MP scene is there isn't too much to do. With only three aircraft options (and one allied) and a significant imbalance in performance between them (with the negative toward the P-51) players get burnt out fast and fun quickly dies out.

-SLACK

i'm guessing the WWII scene is more popular in europe so timezones are a problem, but whatever the case when would you guys say the best time to fly is?

You got it. If you're in the pacific time zone then find a way to fly multiplayer at about 1pm.

It remains to be seen but there is hope that the Normandy map will bring in some new blood. My opinion of the current MP scene is there isn't too much to do. With only three aircraft options (and one allied) and a significant imbalance in performance between them (with the negative toward the P-51) players get burnt out fast and fun quickly dies out.

The quality of the combat is just really poor. You might get 5-6 minutes of combat for an hour of seat time, which causes the "desperate for a kill" behavior that ultimately makes things less enjoyable for everyone.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Added to this... aftr a fantastic ride last night with two of us on vr too.... we had mods. Ww2 has now got an amazing mod list and intercepting he111 was just such a cool experience.

I would say the mod factor somewhat dents multiplayr attendance. Its a reason fc3 does well on servers...its a fairly canned content without complexity with high seat time to combat time ratio as was pointed out above.

The ww2 map will contain content that should put the viability of public servers back on the circuit. Until then join a virtual group that has more to offer than a public server...

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I typically see it ramp up on Thursday nights (EDT) and over the weekend. It definitely fluctuates but when it does its a lot of fun. Kudos to the DoW server that offers some interesting scenario based missions (with bots) the AirQuake server which is a lot of fun, and of course, Burning Skies, probably the best and most controversial (no bots, no data export, no imposters).

-SLACK

but it has labels and that is a big no no for me and have stopped flying on it now. sick of people circling airfields waiting for players to take off, Ive never known a server like it.

Edited by Brigg

Steel Balls is your best bet on weekday nights. Seems to have around 8+ most nights from 9pm-11pm (sometimes till midnight) EDT. It's a NY server, so you'll get the best ping on that one.

ACG and Burning Skies are most populated over the weekend. On a good day you can get two dozen players. Since ACG is in Europe and BS in Russia, they're most active in the afternoon. I'll normally fly between 4pm-7pm EDT. While there are plenty of regulars who will play for a good few hours, you'll often see people coming and going. Team sizes can fluctuate rapidly, although the Axis side will usually have numerical superiority. If flying Allied, be sure to use Teamspeak to pair up as it's the best way to stay alive.

Make sure to use TS anyway, as it triples the enjoyment factor. All servers, except Burning Skies I think, have dedicated TS.

DoW server is good when it's up too (not seen it much lately). Does larger and longer missions, so make sure you have more time.

Steel Balls is your best bet on weekday nights. Seems to have around 8+ most nights from 9pm-11pm (sometimes till midnight) EDT. It's a NY server, so you'll get the best ping on that one.

ACG and Burning Skies are most populated over the weekend. On a good day you can get two dozen players. Since ACG is in Europe and BS in Russia, they're most active in the afternoon. I'll normally fly between 4pm-7pm EDT. While there are plenty of regulars who will play for a good few hours, you'll often see people coming and going. Team sizes can fluctuate rapidly, although the Axis side will usually have numerical superiority. If flying Allied, be sure to use Teamspeak to pair up as it's the best way to stay alive.

Make sure to use TS anyway, as it triples the enjoyment factor. All servers, except Burning Skies I think, have dedicated TS.

DoW server is good when it's up too (not seen it much lately). Does larger and longer missions, so make sure you have more time.

Steel Balls is technically my favorite. It is the closest solution to the seat time/to engagement ratio. Sadly the current aircraft inventory imbalances things for the airquake style nature of combat. But, you WILL get better faster playing in this server. Export for TacView and medium imposters also adds to this already awesome server.

-SLACK

• Like 1

Steel Balls is technically my favorite. It is the closest solution to the seat time/to engagement ratio. Sadly the current aircraft inventory imbalances things for the airquake style nature of combat. But, you WILL get better faster playing in this server. Export for TacView and medium imposters also adds to this already awesome server.

-SLACK

..yeah +1 ;-)......Steel Balls is a good WW2 server.....been enjoying flying on it a lot over the last few days....some good missions too........:pilotfly:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

i will have to try SB server soon, do they have teamspeak?

they have the teamspeak address posted at the server, however when you go to it, its password protected. maybe someone will know it:smilewink:

i5 4590k@3.5GHz, windows 10 pro, 2TB, 250GB sata, 16gb, Asus Z97 board, GTX 980ti oc, BEN Q XR3501 monitor, corsair 850w psu, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals, Trackir5

To me the best is ACG, due to good ping and imposter settings. And I remember that server will get more complex missions after we get the Normandy map.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

To me the best is ACG, due to good ping and imposter settings. And I remember that server will get more complex missions after we get the Normandy map.

Having literally just got done playing there minutes ago, I echo your sentiments. But my only complaint is how rapidly action will die down once most of the bots have been shot down. I wish there was an ability for them to keep responding.

-SLACK

Also...I keep hearing that the Burning Skies server has a bug with its labels mod that allows some players to have the games default label setting enabled instead of the "modded" label settings in the server. It creates a MASSIVE imbalance if that's the case. I really wish BS would go back to imposters...as flawed as that may be.

-SLACK

Heh? bots...? The only time the bots come into play on ACG is when someone is alone on the server. IMO that's how it should be on a dogfight server like ACG.

As for the labels bug on =BS= it's random and is fixed with a reconnect. Not that everyone reconnects when they have it but hey. I also agree that the impostors are a much better solution. I find on BS the labels make it impossible to see things beyond 8km and far too easy to see things in close.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Heh? bots...? The only time the bots come into play on ACG is when someone is alone on the server. IMO that's how it should be on a dogfight server like ACG.

As for the labels bug on =BS= it's random and is fixed with a reconnect. Not that everyone reconnects when they have it but hey. I also agree that the impostors are a much better solution. I find on BS the labels make it impossible to see things beyond 8km and far too easy to see things in close.

+1 and nicely put v:thumbup:

In theory I agree with you. In practice I disagree.

The MP population is simply not there for WWII DCS to ensure a quality experience throughout the many different timezones of the day. Bots are by no means a perfect solution, but there is something to be said about the fun in action when you have 3 to 5 human players and double that in bots. The seat to engagement time is low, which is what at the moment everyone is looking for on the servers. There's really no solid method for scenario play online (even though BS and DoW tries...but there isn't enough incentive for Red), so its safe to say that most everyone logging into WWII DCS is looking for a quick dogfight.

Bots add to the experience. A seasoned MP player will be able to spot the human pilots, and inexperienced players will get not only the confidence boost in downing a few bots, but the thrill of wondering in the heat of it if it is human or not. Steel Balls does a great job of this and its why its one of the most active servers during the week. BS has turned into a lopsided Red v Blue scenario (ESPECIALLY during the weekend) as more and more people I've noticed have stopped playing Blue (this months stats are completely heartbreaking). Its also more comforting for Blue players since it at least evens the odds when there are 2 to 3 Red human pilots for every Blue. Keeping Red occupied allows Blue opportune engagement options. The vast majority of my P-51D kills on human pilots are the surprise jumps afforded to me because of this. Seldom does a protracted dogfight with a K-4 human pilot end in my favor.

At the end of the day to each their own, and there's options for your play style, but Steel Balls does it best IMHO. In fact I'd wish they'd up the amount of blue and red bots to keep things always action packed whenever anyone joins.

As I stated earlier, my points would be moot if every time I logged into a server there were 20 to 30 human pilots going at it. We're just not there.

-SLACK