Improved FLIR Simulation

Wizard1393

Improved FLIR Simulation  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Improved FLIR Simulation

• Yes, targets are very hard to find against the terrain
    • No, keep it as is.

Who are the 3 people that voted no? Or did we throw those in there just to make the numbers not look like a North Korean election. We don't need anything fancy, like engine blocks and tail pipes, just give us something that doesn't disappear the second it drives into a forest/stand of trees.

6D80k38.jpg

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will never be acknowledged, because it has no financial gain.

How so? I for one used to play this game 2-3 times per week, and have shelved the game for over a year over this issue alone. All of my friends are in the same camp. That means we aren't buying new modules either, and will not buy anything new from ED until this is fixed.

• 3 months later...

This still isn't fixed? I've been waiting since 2011. The TGP is a very important tool for the game. Considering 98% of all weapon deployed is aided by the TGP, you would think this would be a priority fix. An inaccurate TGP shouldn't be excusable.

By the way, those of you who are saying it adds to the "Challenge", that's a cop-out excuse. We want realism. Because realism is challenging enough.

This still isn't fixed? I've been waiting since 2011. The TGP is a very important tool for the game. Considering 98% of all weapon deployed is aided by the TGP, you would think this would be a priority fix. An inaccurate TGP shouldn't be excusable.

By the way, those of you who are saying it adds to the "Challenge", that's a cop-out excuse. We want realism. Because realism is challenging enough.

+1 +1 +1 +1 NO F-18 RELEASE TILL THE FLIR GETS FIXED!!!

Won't be purchasing Hornet or any other modules till this is fixed, either

• ED Team

Its been stated that it will be done. It's an important part of DCS, and certainly an important part of the Hornet. As the new graphics engine settles in I am sure we will see improvements.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Real world IR signature is a dynamic condition. It changes constantly. A simulation in itself, for every potential target. I don't think a consumer sim needs that level of fidelity, and it would suck away FPS. DirectX suppourts, I think, realtime ambient occlusion, and/or realtime spherical harmonics shading. A FLIR imaging could be based on that, and be good enough.

Real world IR signature is a dynamic condition. It changes constantly. A simulation in itself, for every potential target. I don't think a consumer sim needs that level of fidelity, and it would suck away FPS. DirectX suppourts, I think, realtime ambient occlusion, and/or realtime spherical harmonics shading. A FLIR imaging could be based on that, and be good enough.
Agreed. Though I think ARMA3 does a very nice job at this.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A3003 met Tapatalk

Agreed. Though I think ARMA3 does a very nice job at this.

Any screen caps of how Arma renders FLIR?

I have only a passing knowledge of Arma (looks hella fun though) and I don't think I've ever seen FLIR in use.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Agreed with DaveRinder. Have done some FLIR stuff for RL Sim, and it's a world of pain to get right. Basically, you not only have to identify the materials of everything in every part of the terrain & each object, you have to also have to tag how that interacts, how it cools or warms, what it's current state is, how the ambient temp is affecting it, and a whole bunch of other factors that essentially mean a ton of work that can become a mess on screen. Far better to just fake something like ARMA & have a chance to see targets in the first place, in a way that doesn't overcomplicate matters.

+1 +1 +1 +1 NO F-18 RELEASE TILL THE FLIR GETS FIXED!!!

Won't be purchasing Hornet or any other modules till this is fixed, either

So no prepurchase ?

ROFL :megalol:

i9 9900k, 64 Go RAM, RTX 4090, Warthog HOTAS Throttle & Stick, Saitek Combat Rudder, MFD Cougar, Trackir 5 Pro, Multipurpose UFC and Oculus Rift S (when I want some VR),

http://www.twitch.tv/zarma4074 /  https://www.youtube.com/user/Zarma4074 

Copy-of-DCS-A-10C-User-Bar-CMR-ConvertImage.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I dunno...

Compared to 1.5, FLIR in 2.5OB is light years better IMO.

At least in the Warthog.

I agree FLir is much better In 2.5 OB.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 6 months later...
Here is a video:

https://youtu.be/pN-k-Drsbjk

This. Just, please. Make it like this.

Wasn't there an official statement that there would be a significant FLIR overhaul years ago?

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It is very sad to see that FLIR, an essential aspect of modern military aviation, remains unmodeled in the sim after so many years. What's the point of having any mud movers (even flagships like A10 and F18) in the game if we don't have FLIR, really? I think I'll go back to not flying DCS.

It is very sad to see that FLIR, an essential aspect of modern military aviation, remains unmodeled in the sim after so many years.

There is IR modelling, even though it's probably not as good as we'd all like it to be.

I believe it was once announced that proper/reworked IR modelling would be part of the new TGP developed for the F/A-18C. Just recently, it was announced that the Hornet would get the Litening II TGP as known from the A-10C as an interim solution, so I guess until the ATFLIR is released, we'll be stuck with what we have.

Then again, there were times when the IR image in the TGP was so incredibly useless that I gave up on it. Even MBTs and APCs were entirely invisible against ground clutter. This was definitely remedied and what we have right now is a fairly workable solution IMO.