Selection of magnetic declination angle for NS-430

EcceHomo

• 3 weeks later...
Why would it need them?

AFAIK the GPS Geodetic Reference System i.e. WGS84 is aligned with True North, etc. To get meaningful magnetic heading from the NS430, it needs to know the local Magnetic Declination.

The NS430 already has the option to display Magnetic or True bearings, what is being asked is for the Aux Sub Menu to be made like the real GNS430 and display the declination in use i.e. E006°, rather than the text 'Magnetic'.

No need to deal with true course while in the air.

The L-39 RMI compass uses True, as does the F10 map, FC3 aircraft, AWACS calls, etc.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thats a purely academic discussion. For the sake of simulation its just relevant that a consistent system of variation is used - which it is. The basic "in the air" navigation / communication standard is magnetic so its rather irrelevant if the simulated GNS430 does or does not show the variation at a particular location. You can look it up on a chart and do your own calculations if needed.

If you want some resemblance to reality it would make more sense to ask for magnetic course indications for the map. That’s how ForeFlight gives you heading information for example.

Edited by freemind_fly

Thats a purely academic discussion. For the sake of simulation its just relevant that a consistent system of variation is used - which it is.

That is incorrect, some DCS modules take MagVar into account, others do not.

As I said, there is a need for the NS430 in DCS to display both true and magnetic bearings.

If the NS430 is used with the L-39 or FC3 aircraft F-15C, Su-27, etc. the course headings need to be True to match the HSI, HUD heading tape, etc.

Other aircraft i.e. Mi-8, F-5, TF-51D, etc. use magnetic.

Both the real GNS430 and the DCS NS430 can switch between True and Magnetic readings.

The basic "in the air" navigation / communication standard is magnetic so its rather irrelevant if the simulated GNS430 does or does not show the variation at a particular location.

You may consider it *irrelevent* but as the real GNS430 displays MagVar, there is no reason why *you* should decide what is and isn't a relevant feature request.

For example DCS MagVar's can be read in the A-10C, F-14B, L-39, Gazelle and Harrier.

You can look it up on a chart and do your own calculations if needed.

Correct, I start teaching point to point low level navigation before moving on to radio nav and then EGI/moving maps, etc. (I don't consider the NS430 mature enough as bugs and missing features are likely to cause confusion).

If you want some resemblance to reality it would make more sense to ask for magnetic course indications for the map. That’s how Fore Flight gives you heading information for example.

This is not a wish list for DCS map features, etc.

Players did not pay for a simulated iPad with 'Fore Flight', they paid for a DCS 2D/3D plugin *similar* to a GNS430.

You should appreciate, this is feedback on the NS430 and a request for the Aux page to match the GNS430, as some users would like to use the DCS NS430 to learn their way round a real device and/or want as realistic a NS430 as DCS will allow.

For myself, I'd like to see some long standing 'bugs' fixed, working radio/VLoc and a NavData card implementation that retained pilot settings but that'd be off topic.

Before any of that happens, has this old bug where magnetic and true heading gets mixed up even been fixed?

Not AFAIK, however I haven't used the NS430 very much, outside of testing the Terrain Nav page for it's FPS hit - here's hoping 2.5.5 improves performance if nothing else.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080